Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth it.

CondoPic1.jpg

CondoPic2.jpg

Condo1.jpg

Originally Posted by tig1
Plan to be in Destin late next week.

That's a little over an hour from us. Been there quite a bit. Jump over to Panama City and have dinner at Captain Andersons. Best seafood you'll ever find-the scamp international is incredible. Ask to be seated in Hanna Z's section-kid knows the menu in and out.

Captain Andersons has their own fleet of fishing boats that deliver fresh seafood every day.

I was stationed in Destin for a year back in 99. Pretty nice place to be. Would like to go back someday.

I retired a year and a half ago. I often get asked if I'm bored yet. My response is always "?!?!?" lol I'm busier now (in a good way) than I ever was when I was working.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I retired a year and a half ago. I often get asked if I'm bored yet. My response is always "?!?!?" lol I'm busier now (in a good way) than I ever was when I was working.

I retired 5 years ago. People said I would be bored. What?!? How can I be bored if I can do whatever I want?
smirk2.gif
21.gif
31.gif
hooked.gif

I too retired 5+ yrs ago. It was about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs that I couldn't remember exactly what day it was anymore. Everyday is Saturday!

I gave myself a year or so that, if I suffered withdrawl from not working, that I'd go an get a part time job. It often makes we wonder how I ever had time for a job. I am busier now than ever before. Or as my BIL says, "I don't have a thing to do but, I am always busy!"

Congratulations Fawteen!

When people would (sarcastically) ask me, "what do you do all day long?",
It often makes me wonder if these people have any other life outside of their job.

Those whom I have spoken with don't do anything once they're home and it often shows. Oh, maybe some chores but, that's it. And they're always tired & disgusted...about something!

I think that these people only have their job/career & BOSS as their life. And they put their employer above their family and their own life. Because it's more important for these people to please those who don't even like them, more than to please those who love them.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Congratulations Fawteen!

When people would (sarcastically) ask me, "what do you do all day long?",
It often makes me wonder if these people have any other life outside of their job.

Those whom I have spoken with don't do anything once they're home and it often shows. Oh, maybe some chores but, that's it. And they're always tired & disgusted...about something!

I think that these people only have their job/career & BOSS as their life. And they put their employer above their family and their own life. Because it's more important for these people to please those who don't even like them, more than to please those who love them.

Agreed. My wife and I had a goal when we were first married to retire before we were 60 and get out of the rat race. I was 55 and she was 54 when we reached critical mass. Now we do what we want when we want. We have a friend is a lawyer-who is still practicing at 68 years old. He seems to be happy, but I can't imagine being 68 and still involved with the daily grind.

Life is too short not to make the most of it.

I retired earlier after starting work at a young age. It seems as those that have a number of interests do better, and live longer in retirement, than those who have little outside of work. I'm testing that theory anyway!

Beautiful beach and sunset, not unlike that of lake Michigan! But, those of us that enjoy the outdoors know that you don't have to wait until retirement to reap all the good stuff our world has to offer. Often it can be had a reasonable distance out your back door.
Originally Posted by Char Baby

In rebuttal to Char Baby, it's all about balance, no matter your career. It IS possible to have a career that involves passion so that the axiom of "never work a day in your life" is obtainable. It's not easy and requires that you consciously decide to avoid the entrapments of what used to be called the rat race. It can be a lifestyle that includes your family and friends. Very few people escape the cookie cutter mold instilled in your high school years, a real shame.

So, yes, enjoy the bounties of life during your entire life. Don't wait for retirement. There are no guarantees of health and longevity.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by tig1
Plan to be in Destin late next week.

That's a little over an hour from us. Been there quite a bit. Jump over to Panama City and have dinner at Captain Andersons. Best seafood you'll ever find-the scamp international is incredible. Ask to be seated in Hanna Z's section-kid knows the menu in and out.

Captain Andersons has their own fleet of fishing boats that deliver fresh seafood every day.

I retired from full time work 12 1/2 years ago and visit Florida 2-3 times a year. Have dined at Capt. Andersons several times with a cruse or two on their boats. I also like Sharkies. Hope you enjoy your retirement as I have.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice!

I goofed and thought I'd never retire, or want to retire, and thus didn't save properly. Over the next couple decades i plan to keep on saving and will hopefully be ready before 70--I'm guessing I can have a minimal but ok retirement if I had to hang up my shingle around 60, decent at 65, very comfortable at 70. Assuming I can work through all those years!

I retired in 2007. Don't even remember work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back