"Highway" tire for '05 Ranger FX4 pick-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know of anyone's experience with "Highway Tires" for this vehicle.
The size is 255-70-16.

What's on there now are Goodyears Wrangler RT/S - a relatively straight treaded tire. They're balanced well so I'm running them 'til wear-out.
Of course my friends call them mediocre tires at best.

What's a good "3 season tire"?

NOTE: I will have separate / dedicated snows.

Thanks

RT43? Doesn't look available in 255 width.

Does it have to look aggressive but be quiet, or can it be just a regular old tire?

Are you looking for top of the line? How many miles per year? I mean, one could recommend Michelin but if it gets 5k/year the tires will age out.

Firestone Destination LE is available in that size. Great tire. Reasonable price.

Michelin Defender LTX is available in that size. Great tire. Fairly expensive.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Firestone Destination LE is available in that size. Great tire. Reasonable price.

You'll get a lot of miles out of the Michelins.

245/75r16 was also a popular replacement size.

There are tons of mild All-terrains with mountain snowflake if that interests you at all.

For highway tread the gold standard is probably the michelin defender ltx, but many good cheaper options available.

Thanks for the input.

No, it doesn't need to be aggressive looking at all.

I have to see what wheels are available at local yards to assemble a set for snows and to see if I can clean up the stock wheels which came with the vehicle....maybe get a 5th one for 5-tire rotations. The 5 spoke originals are horribly corroded around their centers.

I never thought I'd ever be concerned with wheels. Mine are that bad. Maybe the originals will become my snows.

Originally Posted by JLTD

As long as you wear them out before they start cracking...

Originally Posted by Jimzz
The General Grabber HTS60 are a great tire. Just put a set on my truck.
Smooth ride, good lifespan ratings, and works great dry and wet.

$70 rebate if you buy 4 right now as well.

I have a set of General Grabbers on a 2000 Sierra, which is used to pull a 27 foot travel trailer.

Dollar for dollar, the Grabber is by far, a superior tire to the junk Michelin LTX's that I put on my Silverado, took off early after the accident, and sold on Craigslist.

Lesson about Michelin tires was learned the hard way.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by Jimzz
The General Grabber HTS60 are a great tire. Just put a set on my truck.
Smooth ride, good lifespan ratings, and works great dry and wet.

$70 rebate if you buy 4 right now as well.

I have a set of General Grabbers on a 2000 Sierra, which is used to pull a 27 foot travel trailer.

Dollar for dollar, the Grabber is by far, a superior tire to the junk Michelin LTX's that I put on my Silverado, took off early after the accident, and sold on Craigslist.

Lesson about Michelin tires was learned the hard way.
wow
thumbsup2.gif

ill second the general hts...ive been running them on my 96 f150 in 235/75-15 for a few thousand miles..smooth and decent handling. i drive regularly at 70-75 on the interstate plus back country roads and they perform well. very quiet

Last edited:
Didn't check the size, but Firestone Destination LE2 is what I have on the back of my 2wd B2300.

I never thought I would ever buy a Firestone tire (e.g. 721 et al) but the reviews on here convinced me.

Very happy with them.

Originally Posted by Nukeman7
These Kumhos are really exceptional tires for a decent price. I have them on both my Frontier and Ranger trucks and won't be going back to the Firestone Destination LE2's that were also great tires.

Kumho Crugen HT51
how many miles do you have on the Kumho crugen ht51's I was looking into those for my truck

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by JLTD

As long as you wear them out before they start cracking...

True; but to soften that statement, I had a set of Michelins that developed "micro cracks"...no chunking or loss of material...they didn't lose air nor did they fail in the 75,000 miles I had them after noticing the cracks. Others have reported the same - micro cracking is normal...but if you start losing pieces of rubber from the cracked area, then it's time to replace.

Thanks for the inputs.

I was thinking about the size Rand mentioned. The 245-75-16 might just deliver better fuel mileage.

Again, I must be getting old as I never thought of tire quietness before.

Cheers, George

Lots of options, most are better than OEM Wranglers.

I have the BJ's "LT X" which is an LTX Defender under another name on my 01 Dakota. When combined with install and discount coupons I got them cheaper than most lesser brand options. They are the best tires (so far) I've had on either Dakota. The best before were the discontinued LTX A/T, which was really a highway or mud and snow tire like these.

Defenders are the follow-on to the legendary LTX MS/2 which is now in very limited availability. I had those on the Pilot, and like most everyone in the piloteers forum, can't say enough good about them. Ran them over 70k miles and still had good traction, but tread was too thin for heavy rain.

As usual mr silv doesn't mention WHICH LTX he had. But now the story has changed from dry cracking to an accident. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back