Leaky just installed new TPMS sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something here? Wife's new Rockauto Denso Sensors are leaking after new tire installation. All 4 tires are leaking where the base of the hex nut contacts the alloy rim via washer. I used soapy water for testing. How can this happen? My wife blames me for the part and the garage I choose to do the install. What a Fisaco!

I give up trying to put new WeatherReady tires and replacing ten old sensors.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Was the seal installed also?

The rubber seal is already on the sensor and the plastic bag contained a washer and the hex nut. This is a Lexus ES350.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Was the seal installed also?

The rubber seal is already on the sensor and the plastic bag contained a washer and the hex nut. This is a Lexus ES350.

Is this the additional seal your are referring to

TPMS for Venza

Looks like on the inside there is a seal on the TPMS and then another hat-like seal before it contacts the alloy wheel?

The Venza and the Lexus use the same TPMS sensors.

I have to ask if the hat-like seal was installed or needs to be refreshed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Can you tighten the nut a little more?

Yes, still bubbles present.

I don't see a fix to this without dismounting the tire(s). My first guess would be corrosion that wasn't removed.

Originally Posted by chainblu
I don't see a fix to this without dismounting the tire(s). My first guess would be corrosion that wasn't removed.

Agree, I will have the technician do a redo and inspect for the corrosion.

Will report back.

I had one leak there when I was on the road and needed a tire on the Prius. Tire store insisted on rebuilding the sensor. They tore the gasket installing it and I had to have it fixed by someone competent.

This whole replacing/rebuilding TPMS is nothing but tire shops trying to drum up business. Don't fix what isn't broken is my advice. And I'll forever hold it against that tire store for inconveniencing me and cost me additional money when all they had to do was not mess with it.

I'd bet that is where your problem lies, improper installation of the sensors... Since the don't fix what isn't broke ship sailed, you'll probably have to find someone competent, it probably won't be a tire store.

I get the negativity and feel your pain...
However, on 2 occasions TPMS has helped me recognize leaking tires due to a nail which allowed repair before any issue. So, I appreciate the technology.
I guess report back and maybe we'll know what to do to avoid the situation.

I don't know if this will be any help but I learned something about installing them on my Lexus GX470. I purchased the Densos from Amazon ($38 each) after asking my tire dealer. He said they were good. Normally, he won't install TPMS sensors unless you buy them from him. He says people get the wrong ones and it becomes a nightmare for his shop. Before I ordered them, I showed them to my Lexus mechanic and he said they should work fine.

From the get-go about a year ago, that most irritating dash light starting coming on. You know, the one with the tire and the exclamation mark. I have a Blue Driver set up so I just erased the code. My wife complains next month, "That light is on again." I erased the code. Next month, same thing. Of course I am checking the tire pressures in all 5 tires and they are all ok. Light comes on, I erase, light comes on, I erase, etc.

I finally took the GX back to the tire dealer and he said I was gonna have to take my GX back to the Lexus dealer. Matter of fact, the tire dealer has a Lexus and he had to take his back to the Lexus dealer to get the TPMS system to work properly.

My friend is a Lexus mechanic and he said bring it to his house and he would reset all the codes. Dropped it off and he calls the next day and only 3 of the TPMS's will communicate with the GX's computer. So I have 2 that he can code and 3 he can't code.

We talked and I decided to replace all 5 TPMS's with Lexus OEM parts. $68 each (WOW!). It has been two months with no more orange lights on my "wife's" dash. I am hoping my TPMS problems are solved.

I know my results may be very different from any one else's, but I have decided all my TPMS purchases will be from Lexus or Toyota. The hassle was far too great for me (even though I used Denso)

Will report back.

Do you pay him more labor since this a labor only job and you are holding the bag for the provided parts? Hope it works out.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I don't know if this will be any help but I learned something about installing them on my Lexus GX470. I purchased the Densos from Amazon ($38 each) after asking my tire dealer. He said they were good. Normally, he won't install TPMS sensors unless you buy them from him. He says people get the wrong ones and it becomes a nightmare for his shop. Before I ordered them, I showed them to my Lexus mechanic and he said they should work fine.

From the get-go about a year ago, that most irritating dash light starting coming on. You know, the one with the tire and the exclamation mark. I have a Blue Driver set up so I just erased the code. My wife complains next month, "That light is on again." I erased the code. Next month, same thing. Of course I am checking the tire pressures in all 5 tires and they are all ok. Light comes on, I erase, light comes on, I erase, etc.

I finally took the GX back to the tire dealer and he said I was gonna have to take my GX back to the Lexus dealer. Matter of fact, the tire dealer has a Lexus and he had to take his back to the Lexus dealer to get the TPMS system to work properly.

My friend is a Lexus mechanic and he said bring it to his house and he would reset all the codes. Dropped it off and he calls the next day and only 3 of the TPMS's will communicate with the GX's computer. So I have 2 that he can code and 3 he can't code.

We talked and I decided to replace all 5 TPMS's with Lexus OEM parts. $68 each (WOW!). It has been two months with no more orange lights on my "wife's" dash. I am hoping my TPMS problems are solved.

I know my results may be very different from any one else's, but I have decided all my TPMS purchases will be from Lexus or Toyota. The hassle was far too great for me (even though I used Denso)

The independent dealer had to manually enter the 4 codes to get it to initialize. These are the Rockauto Densos for the 2009 ES350. The tire light came on because of the 21psi grommet leak. I did inflate to 35psi, and pushed the underdash reset switch. The tire light did go out.

How long did it take for your Amazon Denso tire light to come back on?

Last edited:

Will report back.

Update: A decade of corrosion was found and the tech reported it was heavier more than normal. They cleaned the valve stem holes and installed new grommets. My wife was told that the original Lexus grommets were different than the new Denso grommets.
I like to Thank everyone for their comments.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Gebo

The independent dealer had to manually enter the 4 codes to get it to initialize. These are the Rockauto Densos for the 2009 ES350. The tire light came on because of the 21psi grommet leak. I did inflate to 35psi, and pushed the underdash reset switch. The tire light did go out.

How long did it take for your Amazon Denso tire light to come back on?

Anywhere from between a couple of weeks to a month. Thinking about it, I'm not out of the woods yet

After installation and 8 hrs later, all 4 tires holding at 36 psi. Wife said the technician showed her the difference in grommet height between the Denso and a brand new Lexus TMPS service kit. The Lexus grommet is slightly higher. The Lexus grommet was installed.

I just ordered a Denso service kit and will compare the supplied grommet to the original 2009 Lexus OE Denso TPMS grommet. I got to believe there is no difference.

@Gebo who installed the initial 5 units? Tire dealer?
It should have started flashing immediately? Correct?
You then took it to the Lexus mechanic who said that 2 sensors registered with the ECU? Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back