Castrol Edge EP vs. M1 EP (5W30) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Marco620
Agreed. 6-8K on a GDi

I use Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30 in my 2012 Hyundai Accent with the 1.6L GDI even though that is one of the most robust 5w30 oils available I don't want to push it beyond a 7500 mile OCI. I have a jug of M1 EP I am going to try out as well and I could care less about the 15,000 mile OCI claim, I won't trust it beyond 7500 miles in a Hyundai GDI.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Agreed. 6-8K on a GDi

I use Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30 in my 2012 Hyundai Accent with the 1.6L GDI and even though that is one of the most robust 5w30 oils available I don't want to push it beyond a 7500 mile OCI. I have a jug of M1 EP I am going to try out as well and I could care less about the 15,000 mile OCI claim, I won't trust it beyond 7500 miles in a Hyundai GDI.

Last edited:
So what does Castrol do to get this oil to a 20k mile OCI capability ?
We know Mobil does it chiefly with high quality base stocks (go back and look at M1 EP vs M1 vanilla.)
The obvious answer would be beefy add pack, but I don't think so.
I am guessing that Castrol has some secret hydrocracking method.
What is the density of Castrol Gold Bottle ?
I have become sold on "Fluid Strength" and "Titanium."
We have been dismissive of Castrol because in the recent past, the 5 quart jugs at Walmart have been a few dollars more than other oils.
I noticed a while ago that Castrol EP is cheaper than M1 AP, so there is your value oil.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
So what does Castrol do to get this oil to a 20k mile OCI capability ?
We know Mobil does it chiefly with high quality base stocks (go back and look at M1 EP vs M1 vanilla.)
The obvious answer would be beefy add pack, but I don't think so.
I am guessing that Castrol has some secret hydrocracking method.
What is the density of Castrol Gold Bottle ?
I have become sold on "Fluid Strength" and "Titanium."
We have been dismissive of Castrol because in the recent past, the 5 quart jugs at Walmart have been a few dollars more than other oils.
I noticed a while ago that Castrol EP is cheaper than M1 AP, so there is your value oil.

That's a very good question. I don't know what base oils Castrol is using in Edge EP. They do make some significant claims based on the IIIH, IVA and Kurt Orbahn tests, all of which are industry reputable and required.

"Castrol EDGE contains a liquid Titanium molecule which provides added strength to oils by reducing wear and increasing deposit-control performance. This dynamic system of fluid strength technology continuously responds to your engine's every need under all conditions to deliver maximum performance."

In addition to moly and boron, they are also using this Ti additive. I felt Castrol really improved since API SN. Around 2013 they also went with a Mg/Ca additive system. I'd still give the edge on oxidation stability to Mobil 1, but Edge has the added Ti additive. I also confirmed that Edge EP has the same molecules found in Magnatec as well.

To achieve extended drains, not only must a quality add pak be used but the base oil(s) must also be of high quality in order to resist oxidative and thermal degradation over long drain intervals.(add pks assist the oil, not do it's job)

There's no way to know for certain what Castrol uses for it's EP as far as base oil(s), but I'd guess it has to be (at minimum) a grp3+ or better possibly w/grp5 ester.

I believe M1's VISOM is a grp3+ as well as Shell's GTL. These synthetics (grp3+) have near PAO (grp4) viscosity indices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back