disposing of 50-100 gallons of gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do with large quantities of gasoline? Say you have a boat that hasn't been started in a couple years. Why not just run it through? Sure the octane will be a little lower, but I don't think it will matter much.

I'd do what I do pretty much any time I have old gasoline to dispose of-mix it a few gallons a time in with a full tank in a modern FI vehicle. A modern car won't know the difference, and it will save you a few bucks on gas in the short term.

The last time I had to do this, I'd pumped the tank on my MG after it had phase separated, although it was ~12 gallons and not 50. After I'd separated the water layer off, which also had most of the alcohol, I was left with gas that I'd be afraid to guess the octane of, but I imagine it was in the dumpster(since ethanol contributes a lot to the octane rating of modern gas). I'd put 1-2 gallons in the MKZ before going and filling up with gas, and it didn't miss a beat.

Define a couple years.

If it's been sealed, run it in anything but the boat, as you don't want to be out on the water and break down.

Got any ant piles around?
28.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Are you allowed to have a "small" fire on your property? Because I'd use it to have a "small" fire
whistle.gif

A coworker had a neighbor with a bunch of tree trunks he wanted to get rid of quickly, so he poured gas all over them to "speed up" the blaze.
Guess who had to call the fire department before very long?

I don't know that I'd be all that concerned. I've dealt with plenty of boats and RVs that sat for years with a tank of gas. The worst case I ever encountered, the fuel smelled like a skunk, but the RV ran fine. Boats? We have one now that sat at a marina for at least 3 years. Engines and generator running fine on what was in the tank.

A better bet would be to call a company that does fuel polishing. They'll pump the entire capacity through some very effective separators and filters and return it to the tank. I rarely do that unless I verify water formation. I do that by pulling the fuel hose off of the engine, hooking up a fuel bulb and hose, and pumping into a clear container. If what comes out looks OK and doesn't have a lot of water in it, I just run it.

If it's ethanol fuel, your two largest concerns will be water accumulation and the fuel having turned corrosive. You'll know if it's gotten corrosive because you can pull the fuel sender and it will look like you dipped it in chalk powder.

I have gas in an old snowblower that is a couple of years old and I can still start the thing....I would try to use the gas in non-critical applications.

Top it off and run it would get my vote. Unless it was left open and/or is contaminated it should still run fine.

I've got a backyard fire pit that I will use old gas and solvents to light up. Not exactly a way to get rid of large quantities, but certainly works for what the average homeowner would accumulate in unused yard equipment.

For large quantities, I'd call a few waste oil handlers and see if they'll take it.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
What do you do with large quantities of gasoline? Say you have a boat that hasn't been started in a couple years. Why not just run it through? Sure the octane will be a little lower, but I don't think it will matter much.

If you're now using the boat, your concerns will be gone in a single weekend.
I'd personally run the fuel low and then top off with fresh stuff.
I wouldn't throw it away while paying someone who will use it to pump it out.

How many years exactly? Can you draw a sample of the fuel? Marine fuel systems breathe to the atmosphere, where automotive systems are basically sealed up, so fuel is going to degrade or contaminate with water quicker in a marine setup. If a sample looks good and it runs on it, there's your answer.

Last edited:
How old is it? I own a small business which deals with used gas. when they start to seed.( local farmer) Most floriest who heat their green houses when they start seeding in late winter can burn it no problem. it as to smell (like turpentine) ---6 MONTHS AT LEAST

I bought a car two years ago with 6 yr old fuel in it smelled absolutely horrible but the can ran fine on it i added premium gas and berryman b12 to the tank didn't have a problem except for smell.

I wouldn't try to burn it. It's a recipe for disaster.

But if you choose to do it, have someone film it to put on YouTube later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back