Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40, red tint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Just did an oil change and used a sealed jug of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck that I got from AutoZone a while back when they had it on sale. Date code shows September 2013 as bottling date.

When AutoZone had the sale years back, I grabbed a bunch. The jugs I have used do have the reddish tint. I think it is normal and due to the additives. What is interesting as well is that compared to other Mobil 1 oils, the TDT has a distinct and unique smell to it. The other oils smell, like... oil, the TDT has a stronger, more pungent smell. A different form of zinc being used? It has to be one of the additives.

The Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 CJ-4 version was similar, we were using that in our tractors and truck. The Delvav 1 has changed a little going to CK-4, the color doesn't seem quite as dark.

Red tint as in red ATF or just amber colored?

I have used many jugs and quarts of that vintage from the same sale.. Never any red tint. I will say TDT does seem darker than other M1 offerings.

Originally Posted by njohnson
When AutoZone had the sale years back, I grabbed a bunch. The jugs I have used do have the reddish tint. I think it is normal and due to the additives. What is interesting as well is that compared to other Mobil 1 oils, the TDT has a distinct and unique smell to it. The other oils smell, like... oil, the TDT has a stronger, more pungent smell. A different form of zinc being used? It has to be one of the additives.

The Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 CJ-4 version was similar, we were using that in our tractors and truck. The Delvav 1 has changed a little going to CK-4, the color doesn't seem quite as dark.

I bought eighteen gallons when AZ clearanced that a few years ago. I never really noticed any red tint. Thought it was more of a honey brownish color. Either way it turned black in a short amount of time thanks to the EGR system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back