Nice tool set with junky carrying case

I have a nice Craftsman tool set. Problem is, the case it came with is junk. It's all plastic and one of the latches that keeps it closed broke off, as well as one of the hinges. Now I have to carry it like a platter so it doesn't come open or fall apart. I could get a tool bag, but then everything would just be thrown in there and it would be difficult to find what I need. Any ideas on a replacement case?

Originally Posted by grampi
I have a nice Craftsman tool set. Problem is, the case it came with is junk. It's all plastic and one of the latches that keeps it closed broke off, as well as one of the hinges. Now I have to carry it like a platter so it doesn't come open or fall apart. I could get a tool bag, but then everything would just be thrown in there and it would be difficult to find what I need. Any ideas on a replacement case?

Buy an identical set so you have two of everything and one of the cases is not broken?

Originally Posted by talest

Buy an identical set so you have two of everything and one of the cases is not broken?

20mm ammo box. Last forever

Sell it and get another set where the case isn't broken? The prices get crazy around black friday and even before that. I have a couple of those sets myself. The case is nicer. I have a toolbox where I have all the sockets on clips but I hardly use that one because I have everything in there and it's heavy so it's easier to just carry a smaller case with most of what I need and if I need anything special I just grab it out of the toolbox first.

Sounds like the case is cheap plastic and will break again.

And then when that case breaks?

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

20mm ammo box. Last forever

That leaves me with the same problem as a tool bag. Everything would just be thrown in and nothing would be in order...

I have two Great Neck socket sets (3/8 & 1/4") in red plastic cases.
They are at least 20 years old and the latches and hinges have all but failed.
Gorilla Tape works wonders for both. I also cut a piece of cardboard to fit
over the tools when closed.

I'd dig around on eBay. Gotta be something similar that would do the job. Lots of people probably buy those sets and immediately move everyone into their tool boxes/chests.

And then when that case breaks?

Don't break the case? I've had a couple Craftsman cases and they're still intact. Check the warranty maybe it's one year on the case? Maybe use a credit card that doubles the warranty? Sears will probably be out of business soon so maybe now is a good time to get a set although maybe the name will still be around for a while.

I bough a couple of magnetic socket rail organizers. You can throw them ini a bag or put them in a tool box drawer.
seems work well for me.

[Linked Image]

Shut up people! My case is broken as well, failed at the latches and the hinge.

So I just use them split as "tool trays" looks nasty and redneck.

Craftsman is owned by Black and Decker. Sears, Lowes, and Amazon seem to be some retailers. Make your own case from wood.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I bough a couple of magnetic socket rail organizers. You can throw them ini a bag or put them in a tool box drawer.
seems work well for me.

[Linked Image]

Where did you get this beautiful socket holder?

I had the same problem with an old made-in-USA craftsman set and liked the size of the case for its portability size/weight, so I took some sheet aluminum (about 0.1" thick), melted a slot to slide in it near where the original latches were as a backing plate, held it in place with expanding foam, then got some cheap stainless latches off ebay to screw mount to the plate.

However I didn't have any problem with the hinge because it was the rod style, not a living joint like the front plastic latches.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0&_sop=15&_blrs=recall_filtering

Back