Distilled Water & Isopropyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found this to be the best glass cleaner, even for LCD monitors. Works better than any LCD cleaner I've used. 1:1 ratio. How about you?

Find some -40F windshield washer and that is about 50/50 methanol-water with some dye and a skosh of detergent. Pretty close to what you are mixing yourself. Buy it by the gallon for a few dollars.

^

Where are you finding -40 fluid at, let alone at a couple bucks? I think the closest I have ever seen is -37 and it has other stuff mixed in with it. Even then its in the $4-5 range for it.

That and be careful using strong washer fluid as glass cleaner as methanol is toxic. So you don't want to breath it a lot.

For me buying a gallon of distilled water and isopropyl is easy.

The eyeglass cleaning packets (the kind in foil pouches that look like fast-food store napkins) are mostly isopropyl, methyl or ethyl alcohol (or some combination thereof) along with some form of ethyl glycol. I assume the ethyl glycol is an anti-spotting or anti-streaking agent.

I usually use the -20 F Blue windshield fluid year round. In the cold winter months, I toss about 8oz of 90% isopropyl in the bottle. That keeps it from freezing to the windshield on the few really cold days we get every winter.

Ray

Now if one could still find newspaper, then you'd have a free/cheap lint free "cloth" to wipe with. Microfibers leave behind micro lint.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
That and be careful using strong washer fluid as glass cleaner as methanol is toxic. So you don't want to breath it a lot.

Methanol is very toxic if ingested, but far less so via inhalation or skin exposure. You shouldn't huff it, but it isn't necessary to take special care if doing routine cleaning with it.

Originally Posted by buster
I've found this to be the best glass cleaner, even for LCD monitors. Works better than any LCD cleaner I've used. 1:1 ratio. How about you?

Seeing silly high ajax and windex prices when I was a janitor as a kid, Old Bill taught us to make window cleaner from
everclear, distiilled water and .... a tsp of ammonia. to a qt.

You can change the water /alcohol ratio depending on temperature and desired evaporation rate.

And If you have Easter egg dye you can add a drop of that nice blue or orange!

The Alcohol/ Ammonia mix is what makes windex smell like windex.

We had to clean dozens of windows in a church rectory - and the pastor smoked cigars like a chimney!

What % of the IPA?

Originally Posted by painfx

What % of the IPA?

I like my IPAs to be 7.5-11%, depending on how it's brewed.

I just used this in my work truck today. I had it on hand and figured it was that or a trip to the store. It worked way better then I thought it would.

Originally Posted by Trav
For glass, mix 10% white vinegar ($1 a gal) in water and newspaper. Try it!

Cant stand the smell of vinegar. walmart brand is 2.64/gal here.

Sprayway in the can is pretty cheap and convenient.. and not stinky.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Seeing silly high ajax and windex prices when I was a janitor as a kid, Old Bill taught us to make window cleaner from

I am not too sure how the use of Everclear is cheaper. Around here, it is $40 for a 1.75-liter bottle. Kirkland Vodka will be a lot cheaper.

I use Lens Cleaner for wiping down all small screens (phone, laptop and similar).

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
ARCOgraphite said:

I am not too sure how the use of Everclear is cheaper. Around here, it is $40 for a 1.75-liter bottle. Kirkland Vodka will be a lot cheaper.

Well that was in the late 60's I Also think Bill liked to have a taste of the everclear
smile.gif

Isopropyl will work fine as BUSTER said. Just insure it doesn't have emollients in it. Make a trial batch and adjust the water % for desired evaporation rate. BUSTER Said 50/50 works the Jiffy, so there is your starting ( and maybe landing ) point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back