Purpose of Motor Covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kestas
When I worked for one of the auto manufacturers in the 80s, they had a task force called the Underhood Appearance Group, making sure the parts manufactured didn't look too odd when the hood is lifted. They didn't like the Prussian blue used on the cast aluminum master cylinders being built. It was there for crack detection during manufacture.
I guess they gave up and just went with an engine cover.
For two cars in my stable I took the engine covers off and put them on the shelf. They'll go back on when I sell the car.
Considering the troubling trend of tight underhood space and designers having more trouble trying to shed heat from the engine, and specifying more heat resistant materials, cars would be better off without these covers.

Didn't Bill Alexander recommend using Alizarin Crimson instead?
;^)
He was the guy who taught Bob Ross how to paint, went from being a German POW in WWII to having a PBS painting show.
I remember him hollering exuberantly about spreading his magic vhite on the canvas with ein grossus brush!
I always wondered if he favored Prussian Blue because of his ancestry...

On our Fusion, the noise difference with it on vs off is substantial.

I think it looks 100% better with it on too.

They reduce noise, keep the top of the engine cleaner, protect any wires and lines, and clean up the looks. It will depend on the manufacturer as well.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I've seen a few new cars recently that have foregone the covers. May be a new trend.

The new Ford Rangers only have them on the Lariat. Ford even issued a SSM stating that ordering one for a non Lariat was unwarrantable and claims would be denied. Guess what sales came in demanding had to be covered under warranty...

The engine covers on the GTO where know to cut the fuel line on the driver's side, so most folks took them off. IMHO most covers are for aesthetic reasons, except for VW they mount the fuse box on top of the plastic battery cover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Lets people that care about cars know that you gave a flip during your ownership to keep up with them when they're looking at buying your used car?

I actually used that as a measure when I bought my TL. 8 times out of 10 the battery cover is missing and that was actually a turn off when I was looking.

PFFFTTtttt ........ Most Acura TL owners are 100% unaware their car ever had a battery cover.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
It's 1 additional thing for the mechanic or body shop to forget to install.

+ 1,000% !!!!!!!!

I'd say the engine covers are for cosmetics and the foam is for sound deadening. Some of the late model Mustang V8s don't have an engine cover, which surprises me not only because it is Ford's flagship sports model, but also because they look terrible underhood with various hard lines and hoses and wires running all over the place. But whatever, they still sell like hotcakes.

I think depending on the manufacturer and engine design it can be used for sound deadening, especially in direct injection motors. Ford has done this, Lexus, several others. Other times I think it's just for looks, and like someone else said...to deter someone from works on the car. Honestly I've worked on some cars where removing the covers were worse than working on the engine itself.

Hide the mess of wires, fuel lines, etc. etc. It also minimizes dust accumulation, provides some sound deadening (sound deadening material can be held in place between the cover and the engine).

Last edited:
Yes, there are some (minor) advantages to the engine performance, cooling, noise, etc.

But lots of folks desire that the engine compartment looks clean and neat, this hides some of the dirt.

The foam on my 2015 started to come off so I removed the engine cover and never put it back on. I liked it better without it.

They make a nice "mouse house" where the little rodents can stay warm while feasting on nuts and wire insulation. Seen that more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back