Cleaning sludgy nissan VQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying something new myself with an engine with heavy varnish and deposits, ticking lash adjusters and rattling timing chain tensioner. I had the tensioner out (GM screw in) and it was blocked but the guides look okay as does the chain length, all the marks line up and the chain has normal play. It is now silent once I cleaned it out.

I used 2 x 16oz bottles of Rislone HM in a gallon of Supertech HDEO 15w40 with a Supertech filter for 100 miles only. The oil came out black and at the end chunky but seemingly liquefied, the lifter noise is gone. I will repeat this one more time then run 1 bottle of the Rislone in 5w40 HDEO with a quality filter for 1K and see how she looks.
If not there are lots of other things I can do before tearing into it.
This looks promising, that's all I can say at this point nothing concrete but it definitely did do something beneficial.

Originally Posted by Trav

I used 2 x 16oz bottles of Rislone HM in a gallon of Supertech HDEO 15w40 with a Supertech filter for 100 miles only. The oil came out black and at the end chunky but seemingly liquefied, the lifter noise is gone. I will repeat this one more time then run 1 bottle of the Rislone in 5w40 HDEO with a quality filter for 1K and see how she looks.
If

Rislone's one of the few addys I'll use.👠I'll dump in the HiMi formula from time to time for a full oci to get a good cleaning... it's easily worth the $5'ish asking price IMO. Fwiw, mmo's the other cleaner I'll use from time to time. Not too harsh but you have to be mindful that it'll thin out the lube some so I only run it for the last few hundred miles of the oci.

Last edited:
I would use Valvoline Restore in this engine.

Link

A fully synthesized base stock combined with the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme additive pack. This formulation is tailored to be a "solvent" and dissolve the hard carbon from the piston ring grooves and lands. Dissolved carbon enable the first and second piston rings to move freely restoring oil control.

Originally Posted by buster

Link

A fully synthesized base stock combined with the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme additive pack. This formulation is tailored to be a "solvent" and dissolve the hard carbon from the piston ring grooves and lands. Dissolved carbon enable the first and second piston rings to move freely restoring oil control.

The price would prevent me from using it willy nilly but maybe if I had a sludge monster or a car I wanted to try one last thing on... but fwiw, I've been using Rislone maybe once a year on all my cars for like the last 30yrs.. the stuff works. I figure the best way to fight stuck rings is to try and not let it start.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster

Link

The problem is not that is a sludge monster or has low compression it has varnish sticking parts. I don't throw $75 at it before using the least expensive options first.
If it works out okay then I will run Kreen in it for 1K after.
The reason I found out was a non functioning PCV system, this uses a update kit and someone installed it with a check valve reversed and 2 of the hoses mixed up.

How do you install a pcv backwards?...mine threads in only one way...was it just venting out the dipstick??

Yeah, with that much varnish you're gonna need solvents and not just detergents like in a Rislone product. Baked on varnish can be darn near impossible to remove in my experience.

It has no PCV valve, it is a scavenger system that draws from the dipstick tube. I have been in this rodeo before, this one was not as bad as most that got put together half arsed..

[Linked Image]

Edit: A dead give away is minor leaks at the main seals, they do dry up when pressure is relieved.
I caught this one in time. This is a common type system and was used on many Euro cars. Hoses 16 were reversed and the check valve near 17 was backward preventing flow to the turbo manifold tube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back