Ecogard X4615 & S4615 (subaru) Info From Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and I couldn't find anything on these filters. These are for Subarus. I reached out to Ecogard and they actually responded.

I have been impressed with the C&P of Ecogard filters posted on this board. I wanted to look into using them for my Forester.

The X4615 ($1.60/ea on Rockauto) is their economy filter and Ecogard gave me this info:
[*]Bypass set to 20-25 PSI
[*]Filter efficiency: 78.05% @ 20um

The S4615 ($4.20/ea on Rockauto) is their premium 10k OCI synthetic blend filter and Ecogard said this:
[*]Bypass set to 20-25 PSI
[*]Efficiency of 99.83% @ 20um

I will give these a hard look when it comes time to purchase. Anyone use these filters yet?

I've used the Ecogard Synthetic on the Mazda and a Monte Carlo I used to drive. All C&P resulted in good results. A great filter at a decent price, I'll continue to buy with confidence.

I have used both the standard and synthetic filters.
The standard ones are a good budget filter that I would use for a ~5000 mile interval.
I had issues with one X4651 (lots of rust inside the can) that was an unused one that I cut open. (LINK).
The one I used (LINK was fine.

The new S4651 I cut open had the same construction as the X line, but uses a silicone ADV and a synthetic blend media. (LINK).
The one I cut open after almost 5000 miles looked fine as well (LINK (pics not working, but video does).
I would compare this filter to the Fram ToughGuard, and would use either, but lately the price of the synthetic Ecogard is $1-2 more than a Fram ToughGuard (almost the price of an Ultra), so that is what keeps me from using them. I do see them cheaper on RockAuto.com, but you need to factor in shipping when buying from them.

The numbers they gave me are similar to yours for the X4651 (98.8% efficient > 30um and 87.97% efficient > 20um) and S4651 (99.9% efficient > 30um and 97.22% efficient > 20um).

I had also used a S5436 in my moms Saturn, but she traded it before I could replace it and see how it did.

The best thing about these filters for me is they appear to have the proper subaru bypass rating. Oil filter selection for subarus is a bit limited because of that unusual bypass PSI.

99.83% @20 microns would make it the best full flow filter made. I don't think .01% numbers have any real meaning. Even Fram leaves it at 99% + for the Ultra.

I think I read somewhere 99% @ 30 microns on the synthetic filters.
The cut open ones I have seen on here did look like pretty good construction.

Originally Posted by 1bioguy
havent, but have a hard time with made in china

So you're biased against the country of origin, even though every C&P that's been done on these filters shows they are quite nicely crafted? What if Fram moved Ultra manufacture to China? Or Mann? Heck, with some of what happened over the past couple years, Purolator moving to China could be considered an upgrade? As far as filters (or really anything) is concerned, COO would generally be considered secondary or tertiary to actual performance. If it works well and doesn't fail, how does where it came from matter? Quality checks/controls and a solid quality system for containing and correcting failures should be just as important as actual construction, and on that note, I don't think we've seen any "failed" EcoGard or PrimeGuard filters even though they're only $1.99 at most places.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

So you're biased against the country of origin, even though every C&P that's been done on these filters shows they are quite nicely crafted? What if Fram moved Ultra manufacture to China? Or Mann? Heck, with some of what happened over the past couple years, Purolator moving to China could be considered an upgrade? As far as filters (or really anything) is concerned, COO would generally be considered secondary or tertiary to actual performance. If it works well and doesn't fail, how does where it came from matter? Quality checks/controls and a solid quality system for containing and correcting failures should be just as important as actual construction, and on that note, I don't think we've seen any "failed" EcoGard or PrimeGuard filters even though they're only $1.99 at most places.

ðŸ‘
Any company can be hit with quality issues.. heck, wasn't long ago I wouldn't have touched a Fram with a 10ft pole. I could give a rats butt what country it's made in; Korea, China, the good ol' USA..who cares, so long as they're running an ISO quality control program.. I just wanna know will it hold up and perform as advertised.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cronk
I think I read somewhere 99% @ 30 microns on the synthetic filters...

That is what the rep told me in my e-mail exchange, and the box itself says 99.9 @ 25 microns via ISO 4548-12 for the S4651.

[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

Like I said, when found for cheap, I would use them with no concern (regular and synthetic), but lately prices on Amazon and Walmart have been as much or higher than Fram. RockAuto still has them cheap (+ shipping though).

That is what the rep told me in my e-mail exchange, and the box itself says 99.9 @ 25 microns via ISO 4548-12 for the S4651.

From my research on the board, it appears they have separate data for every filter they make. To me, this is a good sign. They don't just put a generic marketing number out there and you don't really know how it varies by application. When you email about a specific filter you get the data for that specific filter.

Great little filters regardless of where they are made. I would use them with no hesitation. Another great option is the Premium Guard PG4615 from RA for cheap. They have the subi 23psi bypass also. Previous C&P's show fantastic construction.

Originally Posted by sw99
Great little filters regardless of where they are made. I would use them with no hesitation. Another great option is the Premium Guard PG4615 from RA for cheap. They have the subi 23psi bypass also. Previous C&P's show fantastic construction.

I agree. Great looking filter for conventional use. I was going to run Mobil 1 for 10k OCIs. The lack of efficiency for the PG4615 keeps it out of consideration for me. If they ever make their synthetic media filter for subarus, I will probably jump on it.

Me too with the reason having nothing to do with if the construction is good or not. I would buy Denso if not made in PRC.

Eco is a marketing sales tool, nothing Eco here.
Synthetic is actually blend but if just glance you think it's synthetic.
There are no hundredths of a percent efficiencies, not that accurate or consistent. 99.83%, 99.9%, 78.05?
Looks all made up on the fly to me. Not falling for it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back