Castrol announces discovery of new Fluid TITANIUM Technology benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zeng
Appreciate if you care to provide link(s) on the diamond thing and its mechanism ?

Diamond anvil cell is a device that uses a gasket around two sharp diamond tips (anvils) to apply pressure to the material inside so that the material's physical properties under gigapascal pressures can be studied. Such pressures can be experienced in the camshaft etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_anvil_cell

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Here the electromagnetic radiation is the X-rays originating from the synchrotron mentioned in the article, which can generate a very "bright" (high-intensity) X-ray. They can then use various techniques to study the structural changes of the material (Castrol oil in this case) under varying pressures in the gigapascal range.

This is the experimental device they used. However, they didn't provide any reference to a publication and I couldn't find a publication. Therefore, this could be an internal study and we are in dark as to what the mechanism of action is -- we don't know what kind of structural phase transition happens, let alone know how it happens.

Such structural phase transitions sometimes can be modeled using ab initio density functional theory (DFT) but that doesn't always work, especially if electron - electron interactions in the material are too strong, which results in complicated quantum mechanics that no one really knows how to approximate and solve.

marketing wank

motorkote seems to work
though
have you seen the PF video?

he ran that engine on water

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
In a more realistic case, reducing a very low number and/or a relatively insignificant number by %20, will result in an insignificant reduction! Meaning marketing at work
shocked2.gif

Doesn't seem insignificant to me when all that's separating two moving parts is a 1 micron thick film of oil, as can be found in places in the engine. In those boundary areas I'll take any reduction in friction from an EP additive I can get...

Originally Posted by zeng
I wonder how this pressure-activation works and have been of the thought that Ti is basically a solid lubricant that provides higher MOFT.
Appreciate if you care to provide link(s) on the diamond thing and its mechanism ?

I believe the Ti additive interacts with the metal (not the oil) at these high pressure/temperatures area to form a sacrificial layer between surface asperities, thereby reducing friction.

Typically this contact in surface asperities (boundary area) occurs when the MOFT has broken down. In effect, the EP additive is your last defense against metal to metal contact.

(Gokhan/Mola???)

Last edited:
It's an expensive material so figured the amount in a jug fits on the pointed end of a stick pin

You read the part where the R&D was not done with the exact amount you get in a Walmart jug in Florida

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by buster
Link

Regarding diamond anvil cells and structural phase transitions of materials under extreme pressures (gigapascal range), this used to be my research area. In particular I was looking at lanthanides and actinides such as cerium (Ce) that suddenly experience a volume collapse of 15% or even more because of phase transitions under extreme pressure. This is pure science and it's interesting that Castrol scientists actually went to such great lengths to understand the mechanism of their tribofilms. Right on!

buster, as for the new discovery, I don't think they are referring to a new titanium additive but I think they are referring to the discovery of the underlying mechanism of how the titanium additive works.

Thanks Gokhan, think you're right.

Pretty cool you were working in that area too.

This is science for sure.

Agree on Castrol's website. It's always been pretty bad. Not as bad as trying to find one of their PDSs though.

Originally Posted by 4WD
It's an expensive material so figured the amount in a jug fits on the pointed end of a stick pin

Might be all you need ?

Is there a thing as non-performance-robbing friction?

And based on that statement, it sounds like Ms. Rebecca Yates has her Ph.D. in marketing, not science. Edit: Went searching on LinkedIn. Rebecca Yates, "Procurement Manager" for BP, has a blank, empty profile other than the supposed position. Since you can't find anything other than Castrol press releases with her, it's almost like she's a figment of their marketing team's imagination?

"Rebecca Yates" LinkedIn Profile

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

And based on that statement, it sounds like Ms. Rebecca Yates has her Ph.D. in marketing, not science. Edit: Went searching on LinkedIn. Rebecca Yates, "Procurement Manager" for BP, has a blank, empty profile other than the supposed position. Since you can't find anything other than Castrol press releases with her, it's almost like she's a figment of their marketing team's imagination?

Aw man! I was hoping to see if she's hot!
wink.gif

So she's a master of the fine art of hyperbole?...‚

Typical of the marketing dept.. give them a little data and boom, they run with it!...‚

But in all seriousness, I agree with Gokhan - at it's core it's cool science.

Last edited:
Link
I'm on a Castrol kick....
hmmm, is this article new? Says 2019, but this appears to be the same Ti.
Dr Rebecca Yates continues: "This formulation is rooted in tribology. From the additives that we have selected, to the creation of Fluid TITANIUM Technology and the robust testing process that this product has been through, high-pressure chemistry is at its core. Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology can confidently say that it reduces performance robbing friction by up to 20 per cent, the greatest advancement of anti-friction lubricant currently in the market."

Reduces friction by 20% compared to what?
Peanut butter?
;^)

JK, I'm sure Edge is really good oil...

Ok let's clear something up here.....too many people on BITOG love the word "marketing". It's not the answer for everything like many think it is. Of course ANY company has to market their product. They often do it in really ridiculous ways too, especially Castrol. However, there is legit science behind this stuff. It's chemistry and physics. Ti is real. The Earth is actually round. Whether it is any better than what others are using I could not tell you. I do believe that Castrol/BP worked with Universities on developing this proprietary additive. Castrol uses an in-house version and it is not the same as what is found in other products.
smile.gif

Extreme heat and pressure can have wild effects upon a substance. Some think it may be raining diamonds on Uranus right now. Break out the preparation H.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dbias
Extreme heat and pressure can have wild effects upon a substance. Some think it may be raining diamonds on Uranus right now. Break out the preparation H.
lol.gif

Don't know about diamonds (actually it does) but I've been told that if you bend over and look at the night sky through your legs, it's possible to see Uranus ...

Originally Posted by CT8
Bitog guys are suckers for marketing claims.
Not I. Otoh, a sucker for a great deal (often rebated) on any of the major's synthetic oil...that would be me. Or a really exceptional deal on a closeout synthetic like Idemitsu at AAP, ~$2.84/gal.

Link

I'm on a Castrol kick....

hmmm, is this article new? Says 2019, but this appears to be the same Ti.

Dr Rebecca Yates continues: "This formulation is rooted in tribology. From the additives that we have selected, to the creation of Fluid TITANIUM Technology and the robust testing process that this product has been through, high-pressure chemistry is at its core. Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology can confidently say that it reduces performance robbing friction by up to 20 per cent, the greatest advancement of anti-friction lubricant currently in the market."

By up to 20 percent eh? Is that 20 percent compared to sand?
27.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Dr Rebecca Yates continues: "... Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology can confidently say that it reduces performance robbing friction by up to 20 per cent, the greatest advancement of anti-friction lubricant currently in the market."

By up to 20 percent eh? Is that 20 percent compared to sand?
Besides which, "up to 20%" is classic advertising double-talk to make "less than 20%" sound good. It could be only 2% and still fit within that deceptive claim. If she'd instead said "reduces friction by more than 10%," that would have more meaning----and be easier for a competitor to disprove, if it's not realistic.

True.

The claims made by Castrol are:
Improves oil film strength by 30% and reduces power robbing friction
Ten times stronger against high temperature oil thickening to unlock maximum performance
Six times stronger against wear vs the industry benchmark

Tested in Seq IIIH test vs. API SN PLUS Limit
Tested in Seq IVA test vs API SN PLUS Limit
Per the Kurt Orbahn test in the 5W-30 vis- grade

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

So she's a master of the fine art of hyperbole?...‚

Typical of the marketing dept.. give them a little data and boom, they run with it!...‚

But in all seriousness, I agree with Gokhan - at it's core it's cool science.

She has no picture... So she did not happen... She is not real
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back