Honda Civic 2009 LX struggles to start at random

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the battery with a multi-meter its fine, I went to walmart and they said my battery is fine.

Alternator works, once the car starts it goes above 14v.

I'm not sure if the starter is the problem because I can't reach it to tap it.

So basically what happens it that occasionally my car would struggle to start - it would crank but not continuously - like it'll have a 0.5 - 1 second delay before it starts and when it gets worse it skips a crank and it would take me 3 or more tries for it to turn-over.

I'm totally lost on what to do - I can fix parts by going to Youtube but I have no clue how to diagnose this.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my car?

Hmmm!
Check the ground and also check for rodent damage...somewhere!

Also, is the Ignition Timing off/jump timing?

When it does start, how does it run?

Last edited:
When it fails, what happens exactly?
Crank over but no fire?
Grind/Zing?
Click?
Nothing?
Do the instrument panel/interior lights stay on or go dim/cut off?

I've been a mechanic professionally since 2003 and longer than that as a hobby. When my starter failed on my 2003 accord 4 cylinder it acted as you describe. I hadn't seen or experienced a starter fail like that before.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Hmmm!
Check the ground and also check for rodent damage...somewhere!

Also, is the Ignition Timing off/jump timing?

When it does start, how does it run?

It runs fine, just doesn't hit the right MPG anymore. Timing wise not sure, it doesn't use a timing belt only chain.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I am also wondering if there is a starter gear tooth missing or on the flywheel.

I'd like to know as well, its just such a [censored] to change the starter.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
When it fails, what happens exactly?
Crank over but no fire?
Grind/Zing?
Click?
Nothing?
Do the instrument panel/interior lights stay on or go dim/cut off?

A normal working car sounds like this *Crank* *Crank* *Crank* *turn over*

My car when its failing it sounds like this:

1st try: *Crank* -------- Cra..nk? ----- uh hello?--- *small crank* lol try again pal
2nd try: *Crank* ------- *small crank* --------- NO
3rd try: *Crank* -- *Crank* -- *Turn O-- *cough* just kidding
4th try: *Crank* --- *Crank* - *Crank* ---I think we got th.. *TURN OVERRRRRRR*

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
I've been a mechanic professionally since 2003 and longer than that as a hobby. When my starter failed on my 2003 accord 4 cylinder it acted as you describe. I hadn't seen or experienced a starter fail like that before.

This car seems like a lemon deal but we got it used. We bought this around 9000 miles from someone who was legally going blind so he couldn't drive and sold it to us for cheap and around 15,000 miles the bearing seemed to already fail, when I bought it from my parents I had to get it fixed. It just went downhill from there

Last edited:
Turn on the headlights or the dome light and watch when you try to start. Is the whole car losing power? It's real common to have bad connections at the battery make the entire electrical system die when trying to start. It would be a good idea to remove, clean, and reconnect the battery terminals in any case.

If you have good power but it doesn't turn it is probably the starter itself.

Originally Posted by mk378
Turn on the headlights or the dome light and watch when you try to start. Is the whole car losing power? It's real common to have bad connections at the battery make the entire electrical system die when trying to start. It would be a good idea to remove, clean, and reconnect the battery terminals in any case.

If you have good power but it doesn't turn it is probably the starter itself.

I think I do have good power but I'm curious about it - it's not losing power but it dims whenever I turn on my car. I already cleaned the terminals remove and reconnected I even cleaned it with wire brush and sandpaper.

Have you load tested the battery? I would not trust Walmart for what it's worth. The dim lights suggest that it's a voltage issue

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
Have you load tested the battery? I would not trust Walmart for what it's worth. The dim lights suggest that it's a voltage issue

Where should I get it checked? Pepboys? Autozone? I checked it with my Multimeter and its fine it reads 12.60v, down to 11v during crank and then 14.6x while running.

Last edited:
11 during cranking is OK. Can you post a video or sound clip of when it acts up?

Originally Posted by mattd
11 during cranking is OK. Can you post a video or sound clip of when it acts up?

Sure I'l get back to you guys when I do

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12

Agreed, I have seen this behavior multiple times on Honda K24 engines.

Originally Posted by pitzel
How old is the starter? Repair could be as easy as brushes....

Car is 10 years and 110k Miles still OEM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back