No Fuel Injector Cleaner or ISO Treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of 5 year old F150 with 39k miles and 17 Subaru Outback 3 year old first week January 2020 with about 65k. In my youth I was religious about fuel injector cleaner and ISO dry gas treatments (cold northeast winters). To date I've used what is often considered top tier gas (Shell, Mobil, Exxon, Sunnoco) and have yet to ever use a FI or ISO treatment in either vehicle.

Any reason I'm wrong? or wright for that matter?

I am no chemist, but I quit using ISO-Heet once they started dumping Ethanol in all my gas whether I wanted it in there or not. I still use Techron every once in a while though. Even on top tier gas I have had some fuel pumps start to whine and Techron cleans it up.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
top tier gas ( Sunnoco)

Sunoco is now Valero. Don't know if it is still top tier. If you by Valero you are supporting the Dictator Maduro.

Speaking of 5 year old F150 with 39k miles and 17 Subaru Outback 3 year old first week January 2020 with about 65k. In my youth I was religious about fuel injector cleaner and ISO dry gas treatments (cold northeast winters). To date I've used what is often considered top tier gas (Shell, Mobil, Exxon, Sunnoco) and have yet to ever use a FI or ISO treatment in either vehicle.

Never bothered to do that to any of my previous cars. Guess I just saved my money on that stuff and eventually bought a Mercedes. Still get gas at the cheapest gas stations. Those usually have the most turnover anyway.

You'll note that none of the manufacturers recommend it, although dealers might.

Originally Posted by borgward
top tier gas ( Sunnoco)

Sunoco is now Valero. Don't know if it is still top tier. If you by Valero you are supporting the Dictator Maduro.

You must be thinking of Citgo. Valero is an American corporation.

top tier gas ( Sunnoco)

Valero stopped buying crude from Venezuela last year... besides, Venezuela is a supplier to the aviation industry also in jet fuel. It's hard to avoid products from Venezuelan crude. (more than gas comes from crude..js ...)

Valero

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
top tier gas ( Sunnoco)

Valero is a U.S. based company but they use to source crude from Venezuela.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
I run 95+ percent Top Tier and still use a PEA cleaner Techron or Gumout about every 5000 miles.

Same here. Probably don't need it but won't hurt either.

Originally Posted by wemay
I run 95+ percent Top Tier and still use a PEA cleaner Techron or Gumout about every 5000 miles.

Same here. Probably don't need it but won't hurt either.

TT doesn't guarantee you won't accumulate any deposits, it's just a detergent level to keep deposits to a minimum. And my guess is cost played a big part in settling on the levels.

I run a Gumout or Techron system cleaner (whichever I can get the best price on) just prior to changing the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
top tier gas ( Sunnoco)

And, at this point, Citgo cannot send money from its operations to Venezuela (actually its state-owned oil company, PdVSA) due to US sanctions. Citgo is a US company that is majority owned (not sure of the percentage) by the PdVSA.

There is a Citgo that is very convenient for me on my drive back home from skiing in NH and is my best source of 93 octane before I get to Concord, but I stopped going there several years ago.

Yeah, right Citgo. Isn't Valero BP? Is Sunoco still top tier? Sunoco moved into our town in Texas several years ago. I remember it from when I grew up in Ohio. What is happening with Shell? I am still using it, but am lookiing for other options. Their stations are usually grubby. They used to be top notch operations. Last year I drove up through the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma and Kansas and then west on US 50 to Northern California. Just about every Shell station was being shutdown or converted, mostly to Chevron.

Yeah, right Citgo. Isn't Valero BP? Is Sunoco still top tier? Sunoco moved into our town in Texas several years ago. I remember it from when I grew up in Ohio. What is happening with Shell? I am still using it, but am lookiing for other options. Their stations are usually grubby. They used to be top notch operations. Last year I drove up through the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma and Kansas and then west on US 50 to Northern California. Just about every Shell station was being shutdown or converted, mostly to Chevron.

Valero is a wholly owned publicly traded, independent refiner headquartered in the U.S. (Texas).. I believe it's one of the top 3 refiners in the U.S. by bpd. (don't quote me on that last part.. they're at least top 5, I know that for sure)

About Us - Valero

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Never bothered to do that to any of my previous cars. Guess I just saved my money on that stuff and eventually bought a Mercedes. Still get gas at the cheapest gas stations. Those usually have the most turnover anyway.

You'll note that none of the manufacturers recommend it, although dealers might.

Kia (and I assume Hyundai) recommends Techron if TT isn't used.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Kia (and I assume Hyundai) recommends Techron if TT isn't used.

Hyundai sells Hyundai branded Techron.. you can even find it on Amazon.

I remember a lot of BP stations became Valero after the Deepwater Horizon Explosion. Don't know what the tie in was between BP and Deepwater Horizon, but BP stations were being shunned in Louisiana and elsewhere. The other gas stations had long lines of cars at the pumps and BP stations were open, but had zero customers.

Now days you have to dig deep to find out who owns what. Is there still a BP?

I remember a lot of BP stations became Valero after the Deepwater Horizon Explosion. Don't know what the tie in was between BP and Deepwater Horizon, but BP stations were being shunned in Louisiana and elsewhere. The other gas stations had long lines of cars at the pumps and BP stations were open, but had zero customers.

Now days you have to dig deep to find out who owns what. Is there still a BP?

BP owns Castrol if I'm not mistaken.

I'm going continue down the TT gas and no additions of ISO or injector cleaner.

I'm going continue down the TT gas and no additions of ISO or injector cleaner.

Millions of vehicles are ran on nothing more than just TT fuel, so I don't think you're making a bad decision necessarily. Some of us, myself included, are "addy" types..we can't sleep at night knowing there's no aftermarket additives in our tank....‚

Coming from tuned EU GDI cars and stage1 or stage2 (ergo without hardware modifications of fuel system) … I know "half-korked" or leaking injectors. Or simply, worn.

The problems go away and dont coming reapper, if we:
1a. biennially burn a half of Tunap 979 "bottle" in 2 successive refuels
1b. application 2 refuels before planned oil change

2. add to each refuel ~1 fl. oz Redline SI-1

Done. Except know constructive crap, no more never ever problems with injectors or pumps.

Similar experiences (Diesel) with Tunap 989 and Redline 85plus in equal usage and dosage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back