Interesting Jet powered seaplanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's something you don't see everyday. That's a versatile aircraft!
I would think that the wheel bearings and brakes would need a lot of maintenance.

Those are cool... My favorite water bomber is the BAE 146....I don't know why...just always like riding in them.

Check out the Russian ekranoplanes.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Now that's something you don't see everyday. That's a versatile aircraft!
I would think that the wheel bearings and brakes would need a lot of maintenance.

Along with the rest of the air frame , due to corrosion . Especially if it lands in sea / salt water .

Wonder how the fuel requirements for take off compare to an equivalent wheeled airplane ?

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
I remember climbing on a sea dart when I was a kid, they did tests in Lake Washington, near Seattle, in the 50's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOrj2cSDO-M

I was going to mention the Sea Dart!!

That's San Diego Bay, and North Island NAval Air Station, in the footage on Youtube.

The Sea Dart (the only one I've ever seen, though a few were built) is on display at the Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park, which is an excellent museum.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Considering where the engines are located, is it tricky to fly?

Not necessarily.

The thrust is close to the centerline.

If they are pitched up ever so slightly when mounted, they shouldn't produce any "pushing the nose down" type of forces (like you are thinking?)

Considering all the other seaplanes in the video, I guess it isn't a unique setup, having the engines up high.

In the back of my mind was the grounded fleet of 737s, where there was mention of stability issues.

I have several friends who fly CL415 in Croatian Air Force.
CAF was considering Beriev as addition to 6 of theirs CL415. Croatian CL415 are workhorses, constantly flying in summer scooping water in Adriatic and fighting forest firs in Croatia and Bosnia. For the size of the country, their fire fighting capabilities are truly impressive.
However, they found Beriev useless. Too expensive to maintain (plus political aspect of it), too fast, not very good for geography of Croatia and generally Balkans and Mediterranean. Russia had some stationed in Serbia as part of an attempt to establish military presence in Serbia under disguise of helping Serbia fight forest fires. It proved useless there too.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Cool! Landing gear up for takeoff!

Living on an offshore island, we were serviced by ferries, a grass airfield....and sea planes. They were Grumman Goose, and the landing gear was hand cranked...after ''landing'', the pilot cranked the wheels down before he could come up on the beach....and as they went from the beach into the sea, he would crank the wheels back up as they taxied out to take off.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Originally Posted by edyvw
I have several friends who fly CL415 in Croatian Air Force.
CAF was considering Beriev as addition to 6 of theirs CL415. Croatian CL415 are workhorses, constantly flying in summer scooping water in Adriatic and fighting forest firs in Croatia and Bosnia. For the size of the country, their fire fighting capabilities are truly impressive.
However, they found Beriev useless. Too expensive to maintain (plus political aspect of it), too fast, not very good for geography of Croatia and generally Balkans and Mediterranean. Russia had some stationed in Serbia as part of an attempt to establish military presence in Serbia under disguise of helping Serbia fight forest fires. It proved useless there too.

thanks for the additional perspective edyvw...always interesting to hear a 'local' view.

Interesting concept, and probably works better for Russian purposes. I know that several European countries considered them but fell through after invasion of Crimea.
One thing that boggls my mind is why Bombardier stopped making CL415.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back