Beyond Rockauto, Where are you guys buying parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mjk
Any input on Partsgeek.com ?

Run from them. They often have the lowest prices on an item but it's not worth the aggravation dealing with them. A Google search will give lots of negative reviews as well as obvious fake positive ones. My issue concerned a warranty replacement on an item with a core charge. They won't send you a replacement part when you send them the defective one. They require you to buy the part again (plus a new core charge) and they will refund you that amount, but you're out the core charge ($80 in my case) because they got the core when you bought the part originally months ago.

Here is my Canadian perspective. I bought two truck mirrors, left and right, plus two front interior front door latches, left and right. Rock Auto had the best description; LED signal light, electric adjustable but not heated and manual folding. The mirrors came from one warehouse. The left latch came from another. They did not have the right hand latch. Amazon had the right hand latch but had a slight error in one measurement. The two Rock Auto packages arrived by courier on the same load. The Amazon one by mail.

FCP Euro, OEM for everything, and that includes various online dealer divisions. Nobody mentioned Partsouq from UAE: quality OEM parts, great service, very reasonable 2-day DHL shipping via Frankfurt in my case. Not everything, but they have sometimes the best selection and price of OEM stuff. Just had some work done on front ends and suspension of 2 vehicles and the parts haul was split between McGeorge Toyota and Partsouq

Originally Posted by ad244
I'm tired of the Rockauto shipping games and quality control issues. Where are you guys buying good replacements (not OEM) online?
I find myself dabbling between Amazon, Ebay and even Napa but I cant seem to find the selection that RA always had

Amazon, especially if heavy.

Fluids I play the rebate game whenever possible. Whomever has the lowest price at that time gets my business.

Parts: If Amazon bought out NAPA I would be in 7th Heaven. AAP gets the majority of the need-now business although O'Reilly is pretty good as well. I will set my vehicles on fire before I ever order from Autozone.

Batteries: Local guys does refurbs. Then Walmart. Then the junkyard.

I also wrote this.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...o-parts-without-getting-screwed-10-tips/

Rockauto, Amazon, Advance Auto, Napa, Oreillys, Autozone. Generally in that order. Sometimes from local Ford Dealer who discounts heaviliy on many items for online purchases - depends on if I want OEM or not...

I use them all but prefer Rockauto, even with their transparent shipping scam. The parts have always been what I ordered with no surprises. For the thrifty that permeate this board, by all means chase down the lowest price from ebay. Enjoy those AC-Dellco, Motorkraft and Borg-Werner OE parts.
I bought a supposed Volkswagen OE part off of Ebay recently. It was cheap, really cheap. It showed up and it was definitely worth what I paid for it. Definitely not a VW OE part, even the packaging was crude. I stuck it in a drawer and purchased another one for 20X the price from the dealer. Wasn't worth my time to send a $4 part back to China. Let the buyer beware, I let my common sense get overruled by my greed. I know there isn't any way that a dealers $80 part can be shipped to me from China for $4. It isn't always the case though. Keep your eyes open for closeouts at RockAuto. I have found some true bargains over the years even with shipping thrown in.

Last edited:
Like hub caps...they were to cover up those ugly nuts and stuff. And then they started making hub caps to look like they weren't hub caps...complete with fake wheel nuts.

Walmart for most fluids, although I get coolant from the dealer. Other parts I generally shop around. Rock, Amazon, Ebay, or stores which are dealer fronts. Whoever has the right part at the right cost (including shipping). As always, it pays to shop around. To an extent, sometimes it's not worth saving a buck or two (I generally don't chase rebates).

I do use Advance as needed, if I need it today or if I think the quality is good enough for what I want.

Like others, I buy oils at WalMart or Amazon (crazy deals with some rebates), normal wear parts at Amazon (some OEM deals) or Rock Auto. I try to buy all my Rock Auto stuff at once to save on shipping, and always check the "RSS" clearance deals before final purchase. I visit local auto parts stores such as AutoZone or O'Reilly if I need something immediately, or for recycling used oil. Otherwise I avoid the chain parts stores -- the nickname "V^t0Zone" exists for a reason
laugh.gif

EDIT: gotta watch the warehouse shipping location with Rock Auto purchases. You may buy only 3 parts, but if they are shipped from 3 different warehouses, the shipping cost will be crazy. Many know this already but wanted to add the info to my post.

I almost stopped messing with Rock Auto, their shipping costs usually ruin the deal for me.

I've been mostly on ebay and amazon.

Fluid always at walmart.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I almost stopped messing with Rock Auto, their shipping costs usually ruin the deal for me.

Not what I find most of the time. Had a pair of rotors shipped for $7.99.

Home Depot is getting into the auto parts business. They had lower control arms on their website for pete's sake. They are trying to be a big player.

Originally Posted by paoester
Home Depot is getting into the auto parts business. They had lower control arms on their website for pete's sake. They are trying to be a big player.

No, not them selling, just taking orders. Walmart and Sears does the same thing.

ebay hands down on OEM Toyota/Lexus parts from the US based Chinese dealers, not even close....refreshed my 2 120's at 1/4-1/3 of net pricing and no tax or extra shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back