Oil Aeration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
All the more reason to use a dry sump with an oil deareator in it.

Where do you buy those for your vehicles? Sounds like a difficult modification.

All Ferraris come with dry sumps (since 1991.)
Many Vettes come with dry sumps (manual transmission C6.)

Almost any car converted into a real race car uses a dry sump.

All Ferraris come with dry sumps (since 1991.)
Many Vettes come with dry sumps (manual transmission C6.)

Almost any car converted into a real race car uses a dry sump.

I'd be interested in seeing your UOA comparisons before and after your conversions to dry sumps. Thanks for the tip.

Just for reference, I'm sure many do not know that the main reason a dry sump typically requires a de-aerator in the system is because of the many pumps typically required to scavenge oil back to the tank.

Varies greatly by application but more pumps cavitating generally means MORE aeration.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Mitch Alsup said:

Just for reference, I'm sure many do not know that the main reason a dry sump typically requires a de-aerator in the system is because of the many pumps typically required to scavenge oil back to the tank.
Correct, the dry sump pumps pull all the oil from the sump and continue to move anything that comes in contact with the pump gears. Thus the oil arrives at the tank aereated. After arrival, the hot oil flows into a funnel where gases separate from the oil. These gasses are vented to the air intake without a PCV valve (to get clogged up.)

What I found interesting in this article is if I am reading the paper correctly the oil pump on this engine flows as much as the Subaru engine oil pump which is supposed to be one of the highest volumn oil pumps for an automotive engine and the reason for the high oil filter bypass valve pressure much discussed on here. What is the bypass pressure for the oil filter on this Ford engine? In addition she states that around 3000 rpm or so the oil bypass valve on the engine opens and after that a steady volumn flow of oil at a steady pressure is maintained to the engine above 3000 rpm. I do not know if all engines do this, but it would make sense they do and this Ford engine is not a just one off. This may help answer a lot of questions people had on the site about if and when the engine bypass value opens. Apparently it does frequently and not just on cold starts.

Last edited:
Nearly all British motorcycles had a dry sump....I don't remember anything about a deareator. The oil came up a tube inside the tank and emptied above the oil level, I guess that acted as the deareator....but certainly nothing as fancy as the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back