Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series too thin for Turbo Subaru or 450 hp Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion. Amsoil did quite well here but the starting viscosity is simply too low for me to trust. I have become a fan of thick oil and convinced the thick oil offers better protection.

If you are looking for a boutique 5W30 go Redline. Redline starts out at CST 11.9.

As for me I bought 10 gallons of Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W40 at 19 per gallon on sale with rebate from Summit Racing. Im going the route of the Subbie guys using HDEO...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
For dilute the fuel high horsepower turbos its a white knuckle experience seeing your oil turn into the viscosity of water. So at 4600 miles on the sample I feel like a stones throw from 5W20. The Amsoil held up well when compared to similar Mobil 1 oils but still I would like it to stay in 5W30 territory with a 7000 mile OCI.

I would feel better if Amsoil 5W30 started out a little thicker like Redline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
For dilute the fuel high horsepower turbos its a white knuckle experience seeing your oil turn into the viscosity of water. So at 4600 miles on the sample I feel like a stones throw from 5W20. The Amsoil held up well when compared to similar Mobil 1 oils but still I would like it to stay in 5W30 territory with a 7000 mile OCI.

I don't understand this at all. Diluting the fuel?

How did you test the viscosity?

turbl direct inject are known fuel diluters. So lets say I put Mobil 1 Advanced FS 5W30 in a V6 it will probably come back at 10+ CST but dump it in a turbo direct inject and it will be in the 7s to 8s. Im not going to trust that...

Known fuel diluters for ALL DI turbos? I think not. My MAZDA CX7 was a turbo DI and didn't show dilution nor have I seen much evidence of the newer CX5 or CX9 DI turbos having issues. Ed

I think you're imagining a problem where it doesn't exist. There is no reason you couldn't continue that change of Amsoil to 7,500+ miles.

Water has a KV100 of 0.294 cSt. That UOA is 32x more viscous than water, and it started out 34x more viscous than water.

I maintain a pair of high powered alcohol bracket engines. 632ci, 15+ compression, and 9500 rpm making 1300+hp on just the motor. Over 40 different formulas of oil have been run through these engines over the past 8 years from SAE 50 to 0w-3. There has been very little correlation between the viscosity and wear. Reduce the anti-wear package by 20%, regardless of viscosity, and the wear increases 4 fold.

I'm not familiar with this engine. I'd try Castrol Edge EP. Does well on the Kurt Orbahn test.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

I think you're imagining a problem where it doesn't exist. There is no reason you couldn't continue that change of Amsoil to 7,500+ miles.

Water has a KV100 of 0.294 cSt. That UOA is 32x more viscous than water, and it started out 34x more viscous than water.

I maintain a pair of high powered alcohol bracket engines. 632ci, 15+ compression, and 9500 rpm making 1300+hp on just the motor. Over 40 different formulas of oil have been run through these engines over the past 8 years from SAE 50 to 0w-3. There has been very little correlation between the viscosity and wear. Reduce the anti-wear package by 20%, regardless of viscosity, and the wear increases 4 fold.

Best post in this thread, most interesting at least.

You ever run royal purple in those bracket engines, just curious.

Sorry for the hijack OP, but your worried about nothing IMO.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Informative, thank you.

If there is absolutely zero issues with 5W30 then how come in Europe we see 5W40 and 0W40? If I go on the Mobil 1 website and start plugging in various model names from Audi and MB how come it tells me to use 5W40?

Why are there all these guys out there with modified turbo engines using Shell Rotella T6 5W40?

After much research which included my own personal experiences I finally went this way.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
A 9% loss in Vis on a 5k mile interval but the oil is still in grade. Pretty minimal loss considering TT and DI

PP and PUP both start out at or below 9.67cst before being ran in a sump.

No problems here that aren't fictional.

18.gif

Last edited:
No doubt if Redine grew a brain and either lowered CA and raised Mag or made another lineup for di, they would be one of the best options for di turbo's when considering, NOACK, hths, raised zddp, moly, and esters, but their brain is still in absentia. They simply aren't keeping up with the marketplace and it is rather dissapointing.

Nothing wrong with that Amsoil, it may be a little thin, but stable as NOACK shows. Better choice for di then redline at this time imo.

I am running Delo XSP 5w-40 in my fuel diluting Hyundai 1.6T. I have yet. To do a UOA on this oil , but it stayed cleaner then most other oils I have used when checking oil every 1,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Mainia
I am running Delo XSP 5w-40 in my fuel diluting Hyundai 1.6T. I have yet. To do a UOA on this oil , but it stayed cleaner then most other oils I have used when checking oil every 1,000 miles.

I ran Castrol Edge 0w40 in my old Veloster 1.6T, everything else seemed "burnt" when changing 3k miles in.

If there is absolutely zero issues with 5W30 then how come in Europe we see 5W40 and 0W40? If I go on the Mobil 1 website and start plugging in various model names from Audi and MB how come it tells me to use 5W40?

Because Autobahn. Nobody ever seems to talk about this, but nowhere in North America can you maintain 120 mph for two hours, for example. On the Autobahn, save for having to slow to 80 mph sometimes, you can do that no problem. So they have to recommend oils that will not thin out at 240+ degree oil temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back