Do fuel system cleaners adversely affect your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Berryman B-12 Chemtool Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner product (https://bit.ly/2YIyQFc) and I see it contains Toluene, Acetone, Methanol, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Butoxyethanol, and Propanol (https://bit.ly/2lPpfJR).

I've seen enough UOA posted on BITOG to know that *sometimes* fuel ends up in your oil. If I use this product from time to time to keep my injectors clean, do you think it might adversely my oil, if any of it ends up there (by sneaking past the rings, for example) ?

Thank you,
Ed

I don't know. I wouldn't use one immediately after an oil change. I try to use it sometime in middle to end of oci, closer to latter. That said, I have no proof using one right after an OC would make any difference.

If enough of it (it's solvents) makes it past the rings it can lower viscosity and flash point.

Berrymans a good cleaner with a fair amount of solvents. PEA is going to be the best cleaner for combustion chamber deposits but Berrymans will clean up valves (on PI engines) and FI just fine.

Last edited:
The ingredients are very aromatic and will be drawn off by the PCV . That said I use Berryman's in my OPE, not the Camrys
grin2.gif

I've used b-12 and techron without worry in all my cars up till owning a DI engine. With the uoa that showed excessive fuel in the oil in colder weather. I will not run b-12 or techron in the mazda except a tank just before an oil change, and only in the summer. Not to say B-12 and techron are not good products, but i dont want them in the oil. In my mpfi engines i don't worry about it and i will use them when ever.

Does most of the stuff in the B12 burn in the combustion chamber and evaporate in the oil ?

Originally Posted by CT8
Does most of the stuff in the B12 burn in the combustion chamber and evaporate in the oil ?

I'd think if fuel can slip past your rings it's a good bet the Berrymans in the fuel is making it's way into the crankcase as well.

The lightest constituents will evaporate before the heaviest. So I would guess it depends on how long you keep the oil at operating temp?🤔

Originally Posted by CT8

Burn up.

I'd have a SERIOUSLY hard time believing any amount of B-12 is going to make it into the crankcase.

That stuff evaporates FAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back