2008 Chevy Uplander van - LCA replacment - looking for advice on parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's daughter and son-in-law have a 2008 Chevy Uplander van which they've had diagnosed by a friend who is a professional HD mechanic. They thought it needed brakes. I talked with him, and he describes the symptoms as "death wobble", which I had previously only associated with solid front axle trucks. But in any case, he says that the bushings in the lower control arms (LCAs) are completely shot, causing the other symptoms.

They are excellent people who don't have a lot of money right now due to her staying at home to care for their children. They need the van because his commuter car won't hold all of them.

So, my friend and I plan to do the repair. The van has 230K km (c. 142K miles) on it, which is pretty high for these vans in this part of the world. Our very cold winters, salted roads, and potholes all add up to that being on the high end for a FWD vehicle here. So, if we can get, say 50K km (30K miles) out of the replacement parts, that might be good enough.

Locally, I can get Moog LCAs for about $300/side (Gulp!) or Dormans for $84/side. Or I can get the ball joint and both bushings for about $65/side. I haven't priced LCAs at dealer. Replacing just the wear parts (the ball joint and bushings) rather than the entire arm has its own risks - it's possible the original LCAs are bent or rusted. I guess I'll have to see the van to make a judgement on this.

Rock Auto is all over the place. There are two grades of AC Delco LCAs, with a huge spread in price. Of the lower grade ones, there are two categories - those with, and those without, stabilizer bar mounting tabs. I don't know why this is - the higher-grade AC Delcos do not make this distinction, and the parts man I talked to didn't make any such distinction on the Moogs or the Dormans.

Here's the link to the Rock Auto offerings:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2008,uplander,3.9l+v6,1441146,suspension,control+arm,10401

Anyway, any thoughts any of you have on these options would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Get the ACDelco control arms that say GM Original Equipment" because they are exactly what they sound like
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Number_35
They are excellent people who don't have a lot of money right now due to her staying at home to care for their children. They need the van because his commuter car won't hold all of them.

So, my friend and I plan to do the repair....if we can get, say 50K km (30K miles) out of the replacement parts, that might be good enough.

Locally, I can get Dormans for $84/side.... I guess I'll have to see the van to make a judgement on this.

I condensed your quote to what I see are the most pertinent points. Perhaps my advice is worth what you're paying for it; but allow me to add that I've personally done no name ebay lower control arms on my wife's 15 year old Buick (she just likes the car), grease them occasionally, and they've lasted 50K so far with no issues. Your experience may (will) be different than mine. If memory serves me correctly, I spent less than $200 total (both sides) after being given an estimate of $900 from a shop. Of course, I did the wrenching.

All the bushings went out at the same time? Wonder if its only one, or two bushings at the most. Then it would make sense to pry out and press in new bushings only. Certainly need to see if the ball joints and all the bushings are healthy or not before ordering anything.

For an Uplander with that amount of mile cheapest you can find. When I did my Regal GS with the S/C 3800 I use the cheapest ones I can find, drove it for 30,000 miles and the guy I sold it to now has 180,000 so another 60,000 miles and they are still doing there job.
You are not running any races with it, it isn't modified like the Buick was (running 13 second 1/4 miles) and that thing isn't super heavy.

I looked those look just like a W-body (Regal control arm) Just get the 63 dollar AC/Delco ones if they work for your Van. They are super easy to swap out as them come complete.

Originally Posted by Number_35
My friend's daughter and son-in-law have a 2008 Chevy Uplander van which they've had diagnosed by a friend who is a professional HD mechanic. They thought it needed brakes. I talked with him, and he describes the symptoms as "death wobble", which I had previously only associated with solid front axle trucks. But in any case, he says that the bushings in the lower control arms (LCAs) are completely shot, causing the other symptoms.

So, my friend and I plan to do the repair. The van has 230K km (c. 142K miles) on it, which is pretty high for these vans in this part of the world. Our very cold winters, salted roads, and potholes all add up to that being on the high end for a FWD vehicle here. So, if we can get, say 50K km (30K miles) out of the replacement parts, that might be good enough.

Locally, I can get Moog LCAs for about $300/side (Gulp!) or Dormans for $84/side. Or I can get the ball joint and both bushings for about $65/side. I haven't priced LCAs at dealer. Replacing just the wear parts (the ball joint and bushings) rather than the entire arm has its own risks - it's possible the original LCAs are bent or rusted. I guess I'll have to see the van to make a judgement on this.

Rock Auto is all over the place. There are two grades of AC Delco LCAs, with a huge spread in price. Of the lower grade ones, there are two categories - those with, and those without, stabilizer bar mounting tabs. I don't know why this is - the higher-grade AC Delcos do not make this distinction, and the parts man I talked to didn't make any such distinction on the Moogs or the Dormans.

Here's the link to the Rock Auto offerings:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2008,uplander,3.9l+v6,1441146,suspension,control+arm,10401

Anyway, any thoughts any of you have on these options would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Avoid Doorman.

Guys, thanks for the feedback. My friend got cold feet about putting time and money into a worn-out old van, and is planning to buy them a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan instead. I think it's a reasonable decision - I don't think the Uplander would have been good for more than a couple more years. The van can't be safetied as is, but is worth about $400 as scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back