Beyond Rockauto, Where are you guys buying parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tired of the Rockauto shipping games and quality control issues. Where are you guys buying good replacements (not OEM) online?
I find myself dabbling between Amazon, Ebay and even Napa but I cant seem to find the selection that RA always had

Oil and fluids, mostly Wally World. Too easy.
Brake, tune up, etc. parts - Amazon. Too easy.

When needed quickly - O'Reilly or local quality part store.

Besides Rock Auto, Amazon, eBay, AAP, Napa, whoever has whatever I'm looking for at the best price
smile.gif

Yeah, it depends on the part. Sometimes only dealers have it. Searching by part number usually brings up a bunch of dealer sites. For european cars, I've been using FCPeuro. They have a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell so stuff like Akebono brake pads which just come with a 30 day warranty actually end up with a lifetime warranty and I know I got through them in 2-3 years, same with the rotors. Even their oil change kits have a lifetime warranty, but I don't want to abuse them that bad.

Oil, Costco. Filters and such I get on Amazon. Last on list is AAP.

I've found some wonderful deals on Amazon. The trick is to not rely on their vehicle parts finder, as it can be highly inaccurate. I usually use Summit Racing and Rock Auto for the part numbers of the parts I'm looking for and then search online from there.

I recently bought a ARP Pontiac V8 top engine/accessory bolt kit off Amazon for $50. Cheapest anywhere else was $119. Of course, Amazon said it wasnt compatible with my 1971 Pontiac 400 while the ARP website said it was.

I usually buy OEM parts from East Coast Moparts aka Waldorf Dodge, their prices are usually pretty close to places like NAPA. For aftermarket, usually NAPA, the ones near me are ran by people who actually know something about cars.

Tascaparts.com (Rhode Island) services around 15 brands.

Myvolvopartsonline.com is a Texas Volvo dealer.

I will steal a bow by saying I was the first to expose the erratic warehouse assignments RA concocts in order to raise the shipping total.

1) Order from a single warehouse to keep the shipping down.

2) You'll still be dealing with liars but like they say, "If the price is right".

Just ordered a bunch of filters and a radiator drain petcock from RA and the $7 s&h (using USPS) left the total way beneath the price of stores.

Originally Posted by Kira
Tascaparts.com (Rhode Island) services around 15 brands.

Myvolvopartsonline.com is a Texas Volvo dealer.

Some of those online dealers add a ridiculous shipping charge to compensate for the low prices. $15 to ship a $20 part. There are a few that have local pick up so if you can find one that does, in your neighbourhood, you're set.

Buying more from Ebay lately to avoid sales tax. Still, hard to beat rockauto for larger items.

An important lesson I was re-reminded of just last week when buying mail order EBC brake parts: If you find a great deal at a less than optimal mail order site, chances are your favorite web site will price match. Simple, but worth repeating for us old duffers.

I shop wherever I get the best combination of value and service, not always the cheapest. Both local and online.

I shop RA primarily, but I will use Amazon and Ebay if needed.

I try to avoid Amazon due to their insistence on delaying shipment until the last possible delivery day window they give you, which is like a 10+ day lead time since I'm not a prime member. Their selection and prices are usually a bit better than Ebay however.

Of the chain stores, I typically use Autozone as their rewards program is more generous (amounts to 20% off if you buy 5 purchases of $20 each). I only use them as a last resort if I need something immediately, or if shipping costs makes buying online impractical or too expensive.

Rock, Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, Pick and Pull all the usual suspects... just depends on what's needed. If I can't find it there than this 👇is my little honey hole for parts.. they can get anything, even a mail order bride!...‚

CostLess Parts

OEM fluids are cheaper at my local Honda dealer in Canada than at any online source, even in the US.

Last purchases were the dealer who matched an Amazon seller, and O'Reillys for some filters with a $5 off $10 purchase. There's always a lower price out there.

Oh, I just got another set of Michelin PSS tires for $306 delivered to my house. Now I need to find a deal on snows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back