Oil for Onan B43G, '84 JD 316

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently picked up an '84 John Deere 316 with an Onan B43G 16HP twin cylinder. Tractor is in superb shape.

I am going to go through the thing fluid wise. I plan to use Low Vis. HyGard in the trans.

I am looking for an oil recommendation. Besides lawn mowing in the summer, I am planning on blowing snow in the winter. Since it is not liquid cooled, I believe I would like a synthetic. For cold starts, probably a 0W-40.

From what I have read, this engine has flat tappets. So zinc? Rotella T6 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40?

Thanks for you thoughts. I am still considering filter choices for this thing.

I have the same engine in my Gravely 818T.

They are stout little boogers, just have to watch out for intake leaks (it's a two piece design) and if you have the "pumper carb", they can be problematic at times.

As far as oil goes, I run Rotella T6 5w40 in mine. It flows plenty good, and the engine warms up quick. I would be hesitate to run a 0w40 because of shearing and lack of protection unless you plan to change the oil fairly often.
Just my opinion.

Can you source an owner's manual , or did it come with one ? What does it call for ? Is this a diesel or gasoline tractor ?

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Can you source an owner's manual , or did it come with one ? What does it call for ? Is this a diesel or gasoline tractor ?

Best of luck to you , :)

I do not have the owners manual, but I have been looking them up online. Looks like everything from 5W-30 to 15W-40 is spec'd in these things -- based upon temperature. I have even come across some Onan sites saying 5W-20.

It is a 2 cyl, 16hp, gas engine.

Have over 3500 hours on an '85 316 using mostly 20w50.

I prefer 15w40 in these.. if using for blowing snow in the winter a 0w30 or 5w30 would be preferred. for winter use.

If I had to pick just one oil I'd probably use rotella syn 5w40

the low-vis hy-gard is a great choice however its not compatible with TYPE-F transmission fluid so you need to ensure all the old stuff is out.

One of the reasons I'm still using type F in our 300 series tractors( 1-jd318, 2-jd316)

Its also widely available and cheaper.. neither of which would sway me from using the JD low viscosity hy-gard if I had an easy way to flush all the old fluid out.

IIRC the owners manual has a large chart suggesting 30wt upto 86F

In my usage which consists of hours at a time field/Trail mowing in high heat/high dust/dirt with the engine being aircooled
I dont think a 30weight is ideal..

Not sure how familiar you are with these tractors.. if you want any advice/ things to check.. let me know.

Rand,

Thank you very much. I've been around a lot of 110 and 112 (and other various Deere's), but new to the 300 and 400 series. Dad just bought a 400 last year.

What do you like for filters on your 316 and 318? I'm trying to understand if there is any significance with a hydraulic filter versus a lube filter? Some places, like Wix, call them different things.

Phishin,

Thanks for the oil recommendation. Probably will run 5w40 Rotella in mine. It is a good oil.

Mobil 1 0w40 or T6 5w40 would be my choice.

If you already buy one or the other for an existing application, use that. If not, flip a coin. Both currently have live rebates.

I have a 318 that has the p218g motor which is a newer version of yours. When I only ran it in the summer I used 30wt or 10w40. Now I have a snow blower for it and have used 0w40 and syn 10w30. It drinks the synthetic in the summer so I keep a close eye on it. The biggest thing with these Onan engines is keep oil in them. They don't take being run low.

Their aren't much choice for actual transmitting filters. Deere filters are not bad priced and sometimes cheaper than wix unless the dealer jacking the price up. The companies that make a true transmission filter for these is Deere, wix, Baldwin, lubefiner and maybe fleetguard. Some companies have a cross to something for the transmission but it is just a regular oil filter meant for an engine.

You might not have an engine oil filter. That was an option on The 316 at one point.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
I have a 318 that has the p218g motor which is a newer version of yours. When I only ran it in the summer I used 30wt or 10w40. Now I have a snow blower for it and have used 0w40 and syn 10w30. It drinks the synthetic in the summer so I keep a close eye on it. The biggest thing with these Onan engines is keep oil in them. They don't take being run low.

Their aren't much choice for actual transmitting filters. Deere filters are not bad priced and sometimes cheaper than wix unless the dealer jacking the price up. The companies that make a true transmission filter for these is Deere, wix, Baldwin, lubefiner and maybe fleetguard. Some companies have a cross to something for the transmission but it is just a regular oil filter meant for an engine.

You might not have an engine oil filter. That was an option on The 316 at one point.

You couldn't be more correct! My 316 Onan B43E does not have an oil filter housing. No big deal. I'll just make sure to keep the oil even more so changed.

I think I've settled on a year round 5W-40 Rotella T6. I guess I'll plan for a 25hr OCI. I did buy a Deere engine oil filter... I'll prob just give to Dad for his '87 316.

I bought a Deere hydrostat filter and Low Vis HyGard.

Thank you for the info.

What features most 316 are missing vs 318
oil filter
hour meter
gas shutoff
"reserve" gas tank-- a depression in the main gas tank with a separate pickup and the fuel shutoff has a reserve setting.
independent brakes.
1 less hydraulic spool.
about 2hp
power steering
a few other things.. i dont remember right now.

Power steering is nice but complicated and can leak.. a bear to fix.
hour meter- can add one for oci's and such.
gas shutoff.. very easy to add
"reserve" gas tank-- who cares just keep gas in it.

no easy way to add independent brakes which can be useful(has 2 separate petals that lock together for normal use, and can unlock to brake single rear wheels)
2hp-- dont really notice it. esp if the 318 has the 50" deck and the 316 has the 46"

Hydraulic spool- not important for mowing.. but you miss it if you want to use a blade.. can only power 1 way.. ie cant get a 2-way power blade or snowplow.
have to use manual angle adjustment for example

Final thoughts: after your first oil change.. 50 hour changes are fine. if you are changing that much you might still consider different summer and winter oils. ie 15w40 in spring/summer and change to 5w40 in the fall/winter.

I usually use the deere hydraulic filter, its almost the same price.

Also Check the oil frequently until you know if its an oil burner(every couple hours use). and make SURE you dont overfill.

I have a 318, and 2 317's. They both take the same hydro filter.
I shopped around about a year ago, and my Deere dealer actually had the best price on them, Napa/Wix makes a good filter for these, but I think it was $3-4 more at napa.

Ive switched all mine over to low vis Hygard and never had any issues with the residual type F mixing.

The Onans do well with a HDEO. Onan specs them for 15w40 in the rv generators.
If you want one year round oil, a 5w40 hdeo would work good.
If you plan on doing 2 changes a year anyway, you could do 15w40 in the spring, and change to 5w40 on fall.

Got the tractor running and together. Engine sounds rattley. I adjusted the valves but perhaps should check them again. Seems to run great and have good power. Should I check other things? Please see attached video.

[Video:YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfAM9A_sS8A[/video]

Last edited:
Well the original B43E Onan in my 316 kept making some awful noises. Luckily, Dad had an '87 316 with a P218G with 1200 hours on it. Very healthy sounding too.

We swapped the P218G in place of the B43E. Used the newer driveshaft, swapped the oil pan from the B43E as I had a freshly rebuilt starter (and didn't want to cut a hole in my frame for the P218G starter).

All is good, the P218G sounds really good. Now time to button up/finish up the tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back