3.9 Malibu can I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. Picked up a super clean 08 with the 3.9 fuel management bs for my son. I have a huge oil stash but nothing dexos outside of 5w20 and this calls for 5-30. My choices in that flavor are PP HM or penzoil yellow bottle. Will it make a diff if it doesn't say dexos on the bottle or should I spring for some new oil?

I'd like to use the platinum high mileage but it makes no mention of GM on the back. Only ford and Chrysler

cars before 2011 don't need dexos
smile.gif

Before that, GM just used the API standards.

Also, you can probably find something to disable the AFM

Yea any good synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 oil will work fine in that motor.

The Platinum HM oil will work just fine. Reset the oil life monitor and change when it gets around 15-20% is what I would do.

I rented a Pontiac G6 with the 3.9L engine years ago and was really impressed with it. The GM 60 degree V6 was a good reliable engine if not for the gasket fiasco that plagued them for many years. The 3.9L being one of the final iterations was very smooth with good power, and tons of low end torque for its intended application in cars. Even sounded good for a V6. One of best V6 engines of the time that's often overlooked IMO.

I would use a nice name brand synthetic 5w-30 year round. Mobil1 and Castrol Edge are two of my favorites.

60 degree V6 GM engine, run practically anything you want that's API SM or better. Its well known that the 60degreeV6's can go for extreme drains (ie: 50-60k miles) with minimal issues on good synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back