"old" vs new iPhone XR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jakewells
Originally Posted by Linctex
I'm never of the "front-line of technology".

I wait for items to depreciate at least 60%-70% from new before I buy.

I've got better things to spend my money on.

+1
I am still using my 4 year old lg flip phone.

I wish I can find a phone that will last that long. I'm done paying for new phones, only to have to crap out by the time an 'upgrade' comes along, I just wish I wouldn't be stuck with this garbage LG phone when I made the decision to not upgrade.

My 15yr/old son saved up his money from working his summer jobs and gave me the $800+ it cost to buy him a new iPhone XR. He couldn't be happier. I call it a colossal waste of money.

As much as I think apple products are great. I rocked a 5c and an SE. I took the leap to droids a while back and hold fast to the <$200 crowd for my own use. Love my Moto e5 supra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
My 15yr/old son saved up his money from working his summer jobs and gave me the $800+ it cost to buy him a new iPhone XR. He couldn't be happier. I call it a colossal waste of money.

I agree phones have gotten pretty expensive, at the same time I use that device more than anything else. Its used for maps in the car, music via spotify, recording biking routes/workouts, taking notes, high quality pictures and video, email, on the spot research or how-to videos, and much more. Its really a one stop device. It is a huge expense but just like a vehicle if its something you use all the time it may as well be a decent one. I usually wait for the flagship model to drop in price, I think last year my Note 8 was about $600.

Think about what a decent digital camera (not even DSLR) cost not too long ago... These new phones blow them away in most cases and its just a built in feature.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Originally Posted by JTK

I agree phones have gotten pretty expensive, at the same time I use that device more than anything else. Its used for maps in the car, music via spotify, recording biking routes/workouts, taking notes, high quality pictures and video, email, on the spot research or how-to videos, and much more. Its really a one stop device. It is a huge expense but just like a vehicle if its something you use all the time it may as well be a decent one. I usually wait for the flagship model to drop in price, I think last year my Note 8 was about $600.

Think about what a decent digital camera (not even DSLR) cost not too long ago... These new phones blow them away in most cases and its just a built in feature.

One of my coworkers dropped his six year old cell phone. When he went to replace it, he realized he had gone from having a cell phone that could do other things to a device that did lots of things and occasionally made calls too. So he stepped up to something pricey, got the fancy case, and is hoping for 5 years or whatever--but I suspect if it quits after 3 then he won't care too much, as it's more than just a phone he carries around and makes a call once in awhile.

It's all in how you use it. I use my cell phone more than my home laptop. Sometimes the laptop is only used because of the keyboard.

I absolutely agree. I'd be afraid to know the time per day I stare at mine and like you say, for about everything! So the cost can be justifiable. In my years of cell phone ownership, I've been lucky to have had only one disaster with them, and it was with my iPhone SE. I had only had it about 3 weeks and it went for a dip in a hot tub. I stupidly put it in my swimsuit pocket and didn't realize for about 5-10min that it was under water. It was toast. I had paid ~$430 for it through my verizon contract I had at the time. After that I told myself, never again with the high cost phones. Way too easy to destroy them with one drop, dunk, etc. You can't say that so much for other pricey items like TVs, PCs, etc.

I am going to return my iPhone XR and wait. The new one (iPhone 11) is better a tad and dropped current price by $150of iPhone XR. ($749 -> $599) The Verizon discount that lured me in the end is only $100 less.

I found a specific cord that seems better for charging.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for my son dropping my 8 Plus causing the GPS reception to go out, I'd hang on to it for a couple more years. On a good day I'll get 1/2 mi position accuracy.

New I-Phone 11 debuts on Sept 13th for pre orders, Sept 20th release, starts at $699.00 to $849 depending on how much memory you want, comes in 6 colors too! 6.1 Retina display, longer battery life then the XS.

New iphone watch coming out for $199.00 too.
Apple is adjusting to market demands for more reasonable costing phones I assume.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
New I-Phone 11 debuts on Sept 13th for pre orders, Sept 20th release, starts at $699.00 to $849 depending on how much memory you want, comes in 6 colors too! 6.1 Retina display, longer battery life then the XS.

Apple is adjusting to market demands for more reasonable costing phones I assume.

The Watch 3 is $199, the 4 and 5 are more expensive. But yes, I definitely think they realized people aren't crazy about spending $1,000+ on a phone. I was going to buy 2 new XR's for me and my wife, but for $100 more we'll be getting the 11.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

Wrong on many fronts.
1. Never has there been a time in the last 20 years where quality phones capable of doing everything most people will ever need, some with better battery life then any phone, can all be bought for around $200 and less.

2. A camera with a tiny sensor such as in a cell phone can not come close to the quality of a camera with a large sensor such as in a DSLR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by alarmguy

The Watch 3 is $199, the 4 and 5 are more expensive. But yes, I definitely think they realized people aren't crazy about spending $1,000+ on a phone. I was going to buy 2 new XR's for me and my wife, but for $100 more we'll be getting the 11.

You know, after reading your post and looking up iphones. I have to admit I am ignorant on iphone models and pricing.
I now understand, the XR vs new 11 and the watch model numbers.

I can point out that I have used iphones for the last 7 years, my company supplied phone, I never much cared for them and never on my radar because for my personal use and that of my family, I ALWAYS preferred Android. I felt the Iphone pricing was retarded. I think that is a pretty informed statement since for 7 years, I used Android Phones and Iphones both at the same time, one for work and one for personal.

Fast forward to today. Well, today my first ever Mac Computer arrives at my house, after 25 + years of computing and quite honestly, as much as I LOVE my Huawei phone that only cost me $200. If I like the Mac a lot, the next change MIGHT be to the XR. I was so ignorant, I didnt even know that model was out for the last 1+ year?
The only reason for this is I had no interest in Apple except I was considering a IPHONE 6+ just a year ago, price always wins for me.

The reason for this switch was Tim Cook himself (part of it) and my frustration with Windows 10 and the fact that I have been on a personal crusade to start limiting the amount of information the big tech companies collect on me and my family (google, MS, FB etc) package and sell to the highest bidders in the world.
People think all these apps are free and operating systems free, NOT. You prostitute you private information and that of your wife and kids to the tech companies to sell to bidders who want that information.

Anyway!!! *L* Apple is a great place to start and I dont mind paying more for a better, more secure system, not developed to do the above.
not only that, but its Tim Cooks position that I agree with. Most Americans could care less but in Europe, they are much more informed and care much more. And why their lawmakers are actually working for the people to do the right thing.
Dont get me wrong, I have been on this crusade way before him, Im just taking things up to the next level!

Click, this is his speech that further modivated me

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
If Apple would bring out another smaller phone (updated SE) I'd buy it

They're still selling the iPhone 8 for $449 (w/out trade-in). Considerably better.

I feel like people only focus on the latest and greatest offered by Apple, neglecting the fact that they sell BRAND NEW cell phones from years ago at a reasonable price.

I've had the XR for 3 weeks. It's fine but not great. Got used to the no home button and Face ID. I wish I got the Note instead. Samsung has a better screen and camera (including settings).

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
I've had the XR for 3 weeks. It's fine but not great. Got used to the no home button and Face ID. I wish I got the Note instead. Samsung has a better screen and camera (including settings).

Not really fair to compare the bottom-run iPhone to the flagship Samsung phone. We're satisifed with our XR's, understanding its limitations.

What you're doing seems to be akin to comparing a Kona to a Model 3.

To be fair to the XR, it was never meant to compare to the Note series. But I agree, loved the settings on the Samsung's I had, wish my iPhone had the same.

Edit - Gathermewool ninja'd in a post while I was dealing with kittens...
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

To be fair to the XR, it was never meant to compare to the Note series. But I agree, loved the settings on the Samsung's I had, wish my iPhone had the same.

Edit - Gathermewool ninja'd in a post while I was dealing with kittens...
lol.gif

Dang kittens!

My wife just replaced her iPhone 6s with an XR from Walmart for $450. Same price as the 8 right now but a step up in my opinion - newer chip, more battery life, etc. However, if you still prefer Touch ID, the iPhone 8 is still a great phone for $450. Much better than a sub-$200 phone if you use it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back