Castrol GTX HM 5W-20 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my brothers Chrysler 300, he ran a purolator one I believe. I attached a pic of the filter.

Screenshot_20190908-231419_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

20190804_100249.jpg

You think so? We were both more than a little uncomfortable pushing a syn blend so far, but this is our first foray into extended OCIs. The numbers don't lie but it just seems like a such a long run when we're both used to 5k changes.

Was anything added to the virgin oil? Addy or top off maybe?

The 100c kv of virgin Castrol 0w20 HM is 8.9cSt. (range for a SAE20 is 5.6 ~ 9.3)...With the fuel dilution and the lowered flash point, I'd expect to see some viscosity loss from the virgin values either attributed to shearing and/or FD... Your viscosity actually went UP, per Cadtrol's PDS, after a 10k mile run??🤔

(unless it can be attributed to a test issue with BS)

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
Why should we spend money on Synthetic oil when conventional oil is so capable? Not a terrible report.

Castrol GTX HM is a semi-synthetic.

Castrol oils are generally more shear stable and typically 'thickens' (as upwards of virgin cSt) in engine oil OCI's beyond say, 10k miles.

Sounds like you're getting plenty of life out of that oil, I wouldn't increase the interval.

Originally Posted by zeng
Castrol oils are generally more shear stable and typically 'thickens' (as upwards of virgin cSt) in engine oil OCI's beyond say, 10k miles.

Yeah, well it almost "thickened up" out of grade.. although I'd be surprised if the engine couldn't do a SAE30.

Sure, shear thickening is a "thing" as well as thickening from soot but his Insolubles% is low and the fuel dilution and lower flash point seems to indicate, to me at least, a thinning of the oil should have occurred. But I suppose it's possible to have both thinning (fuel dilution) and thickening (soot/evaporative loss-noack%) effects happening concurrently?🤔🤔

Guess this is a first for me... seeing an oil do this after a 10k run, it's 100c kv is better than the starting 100c.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Why should we spend money on Synthetic oil when conventional oil is so capable? Not a terrible report.

Conventional oil is a semi synthetic

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Conventional oil is a semi synthetic

My point still stands. Conventional>semi-synthetic>synthetic

Agree. Unless you're driving some sort of problematic vehicle, conventional lubes (or semi syn, whatever) have proven themselves to 10,000 miles. No need for full syn unless you're pushing on to 15,000 or more.

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
From my brothers Chrysler 300, he ran a purolator one I believe. I attached a pic of the filter.

Low, low phosphorus.
Unusually high density.
Nothing else to write home about.
There must be some secret hydrocracking process or something.
What the heck is going on here ?
FWIW, Castrol puts the same low phosphorus technology in their Black Bottle EDGE HM oil.
BTW, thank you for the report.

Gasbuggy said:
Sounds like you're getting plenty of life out of that oil, I wouldn't increase the interval.

Agreed. Unless you are trying to set some kind of record, what's the point of saving an extra 75 cents per month on your oil change expenses?

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Gasbuggy said:

Agreed. Unless you are trying to set some kind of record, what's the point of saving an extra 75 cents per month on your oil change expenses?

I believe my brother said he's capping it at 11k, but will continue to do analysis to allow a sample set to develop. I'm sure he'll have an account on here soon enough!

His results have me questioning putting syn in my own vehicle, which is older and has higher miles. It seems like a waste even though I get it for cheap after the rebates. I like to believe syn cleans better so maybe still the right choice for my own high mileage engine. These results have me mixed up about my oil choices
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back