2019 Rubicon Borla Type S Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered an axle-back type S late last week in black stainless and it came in yesterday evening. I installed it this morning, it took about 1 hour in the driveway, using me, myself, and I as the install team. I went the easy way and simply removed the support brackets instead of fighting to pull the rubber ends off and having to wrestle with them on the install. Four 13mm bolts which were easy-peasy to remove and reinstall.

I waffled for days whether to grab the touring model or the type S as I really wanted the dual pipes as opposed to increasing the noise. Thus far, i am happy with the sound--it replicates the sound my AMG twin turbo GLC43 Coupe had with its exhaust. It starts with a rumble, but then quietens down. Now to drive it and see how it sounds on the open road!

What I was not impressed with was how much Jeep "crushes" the OEM pipe instead of mandrel bending it, I tried to capture that in this photo, but it does not do it any justice:

[Linked Image from iili.io]

A few photos from the rear:

All 4.0L Cherokees have a big factory dent at the bottom of the exhaust manifold as well. Not sure what their reasoning is.

If there's no reverberation anywhere along the rpm range, i'd say you're good to go. Congrats on both, the jeep and the axle-back exhaust.

Last edited:
When I installed my Magnaflow axle-back, I noticed that, too. On JLwranglerforums some members were swearing up and down that it purposely causes restriction and that I'd lose torque because of less back pressure. Another guy said that while it looks crushed, the area of flow stays the same.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any power, or at least don't perceive it. I'm sure there's all kinds of theories and wives' tales out there on this kind of stuff. I just know my engine feels and sounds beautiful, so it is nothing more than a curiosity. The tips also resist crushing MUCH better than stock, when off road. I thoroughly tested them out in Moab last year!

Great looking exhaust, btw, 2015_PSD! I'll bet it sounds great, too!

Last edited:
I ditched the garbage can muffler and did the Dynomax delete pipe, still has the resonator and tucks the exhaust up high, so wont hang up on anything plus only 79$ and SS.

Slightly louder at start up, now you can hear the engine, was too [censored] quiet, no drone and in higher gears cruising gets quieter.

Wife likes it, her Jeep.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
All 4.0L Cherokees have a big factory dent at the bottom of the exhaust manifold as well. Not sure what their reasoning is.

Y'all ain't seen nothing until you've seen 4th gen F-body V8 exhaust!

I like Borla and have had a Borla cat-back on my 98 Chevy K1500 since about 1999. It still sounds great and has held up very well other than having to replace a couple of rear hangers a few times.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Y'all ain't seen nothing until you've seen 4th gen F-body V8 exhaust!

Yup, both the y-pipe and the catcon outlet pipes have some pretty substantial factory installed 'dings' in them, hence most owners replacing them with high flow aftermarket pieces.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back