Shell HX7 5w-40 - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a good engine oil and always was. If you can get it at a good price buy it and use it with confidence in that S2000 engine. The problem you have in Germany is the labeling laws GTL is considered a group III so technically even if were 100% GTL it would still have to be legally classified as a group III.
The bottle you buy there may or may not be the same formula as one bought in another country including another EU country as we see is often the case with Castrol and Mobil products.

Ultra have higher OEM approvals and probably cost similar. Not saying that HX7 is a bad lubricant but for the price and performance Ultra is unbeatable. It is probably cheapest FS, high spec oil on the market.
For this engine it would be my preferred option.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, thanks!

But there is a little bit of missundestoud: i was looking for a oil for my second car, my "winter Beater". I stumbled accros the HX 7 and simply wonderd if it is still a GTL+Hydrocrack mixture today.

I feel a little bit surprised and honoured that "Trav" remember that i am owner of a Honda S2000. I did not expect that somebody remember wich car i own. I should have be more clear in my first post.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Thank you guys, thanks!

But there is a little bit of missundestoud: i was looking for a oil for my second car, my "winter Beater". I stumbled accros the HX 7 and simply wonderd if it is still a GTL+Hydrocrack mixture today.

I feel a little bit surprised and honoured that "Trav" remember that i am owner of a Honda S2000. I did not expect that somebody remember wich car i own. I should have be more clear in my first post.
cheers3.gif

I remember that you drive an s2k too
wink.gif
Hope she's running well!

Just switched to Penrite Racing 10w40 in mine and did the AP2 retainer upgrade.

Thanks! Yes, its running well and it is a really joy. The car is very exotic here (only 1800 left) and we have lonesome, windy roads. No speed controls....
wink.gif

I also have done the AP2 reatiner upgrade this year. Better save than sorry. This was a very daunting task, as spare engines are scarse and expensive.
Penrite make fine oils. They are, as far as i can tell, market leader for oldtimer oils here. In contrast, the regular, modern Penrite oils are almost unavailable here.

Thanks! Yes, its running well and it is a really joy. The car is very exotic here (only 1800 left) and we have lonesome, windy roads. No speed controls....
wink.gif

I also have done the AP2 reatiner upgrade this year. Better save than sorry. This was a very daunting task, as spare engines are scarse and expensive.
Penrite make fine oils. They are, as far as i can tell, market leader for oldtimer oils here. In contrast, the regular, modern Penrite oils are almost unavailable here.

Thats great man. How many kilometers are you at? Have you done the Banjo Bolt upgrade? Hear is necessary for high rpm autobahn driving.

Mine only has 68.000 Km on the clock. The engine in mine has allreday the upgraded banjos, because it is a late 2002 modell. I have contacted Honda Germany after i bought mine, and they have confirmed it according to the chassis and engine Number.

The problems with the banjo bolts only get severe here in Germany, to my knowledge. Only in germany some early S2000 engines get damaged after long high speed runs on the autobahn.
Honda get aware of the Problem, the Banjos get updated on all S2000 from the first half of 2002 on, and in Germany all S2000 get a recall and the Banjo Bolt upgraded free of cost from Honda. Some Owners say that the recall also was done in the rest of Europe, but i dont know for sure.

Driving this car on the Autoban feels a littel bit crazy, because at "Crusing Speed" of 100 Mph / 160 Km/h the engine revs allready with aproximately 6.000 RPM in 6. gear.
This feels really insane in a car and is a little bit demanding for the engine. But this car was not built for this, it is meant for lonesome, windy country roads. I dont use this car often on the Autobahn.

So I use the 5w30 HX7 in my wife's Hyundai i10 - 1.2 liter NA gas engine runabout. It is quite decent for most applications, and Shell's recently updated it to SN+ - the Shell Helix Ultra cans I see are still SN/CF ACEA A3/B4

Funny thing is the Hyundai manual specifies an A3/B4 5w30, for which the only ones I can find at least in the Indian market are Shell HX7 and Castrol Magnatec Professional. Every other 5w30 I've seen is A5/B5.

Last edited:
SureshR, thanks.
A3/B4 means high HTHS (above 3,5) and to my knowledge, there are not much xxW-30 oils around that can offer such a high HTHS.

----------------------------

Generally a little bit back to Topic, since my original question about the content of GTL / HC in the HX 7 will likely be unsolved, i just will use it in my winter beater, with all the OEM approvals it carries it is more then good enough.

SureshR, thanks.
A3/B4 means high HTHS (above 3,5) and to my knowledge, there are not much xxW-30 oils around that can offer such a high HTHS.

Generally a little bit back to Topic, since my original question about the content of GTL / HC in the HX 7 will likely be unsolved, i just will use it in my winter beater, with all the OEM approvals it carries it is more then good enough.

I haven't seen Shell publish these numbers, but it is a good if rather expensive oil. Group III for sure given the pricing compared to other Shell products, but who cares, for a beater?

If you want a cheap and good sort of group III oil try the Mobil Super range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back