installed new convertible top Saturday...NEVER AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a miserable job that is. Do manufacturers do their own tops on the assembly line or do they have a 3rd party do them and ship them as bolt ins? Good grief that job is worse than finishing drywall. Took me 3 hours to remove the old top by myself and 6 hours to install the new top with one helper. The new top is a KEE one piece with vinyl rear window. It has an 8 year warranty. The stock top was a 2-piece with glass rear window. The KEE top is much easier to install than an OEM top too...yikes

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice job and nice car!

Convertible tops are a pain, I find them extremely fiddly as opposed to difficult, though I've only done manual roadster tops. The cables, etc. for an auto top must add some frustration.

I installed a top on my S2000 a few years ago. Not too terribly difficult, but tedious enough to where it was no fun!

If that's a keeper, and if you're in Michigan, why didn't you get the original glass window? The plastic ones scratch if you just breathe on it and loose clarity after a few years, plus the glass has a defroster.

I've had my MG nearly 4 years, and it has made very, very few visits to the shop in that time.

One of the visits it has made was to fit the new top. In my book, it was $200 very well spent.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If that's a keeper, and if you're in Michigan, why didn't you get the original glass window?

Not sure about Mustangs, the glass windows on the convertible Sebrings did have a habit of falling off as the top fabric became stretched and delaminated. The OEMs get their convertible tops fully assembled in the stowed position. All they do on the assembly line is install the top and the hydraulics/cabling/wiring that makes it all work.

That's a clean 90s Stang.

Your Mustang still looks very nice! Most of the older body style Mustangs like yours (I call them "roundy Mustangs") I see are all beat up/rusted out by now. Most people must not take very good care of them...

I have done several over the years, but only on MG's and Triumph's. Good looking Mustang.

that is (from at least that angle) one of the cleanest SN95's i've seen in a long time.

Cleaner than my brother's '98 GT that has spent it's whole life garaged.(14,500mi, still has the factory tires.)

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
SN95, has curves in all the right places
cool.gif

+1.. and red should be the only color for it imo.

Nice ride OP 👌

I installed the same top on my Mustang a couple months ago, and I didn't find the job to be too bad, just time-consuming as others have said. It didn't help that I got sick halfway through the process and couldn't work on it for about a week. Well worth the money saved over paying someone else to do it for me, though. I followed the video from CJ Pony Parts and while it left out a few steps, it was pretty good overall.

I will say, a cordless drill and a u-joint was a lifesaver for the nuts in the window well. I went out and bought an air stapler for $25 at Harbor Freight and it was well worth it for attaching the new top. I went with the same one piece top you did since it's always in the garage and pretty much only driven on weekends; if I need to replace it again down the line, they will always make parts for these things.

Now replacing the catalytic converters, that's a job I will never do again. In fact, I gave up and took it to a shop after 3 days of messing with it when it still leaked and I was so sore I couldn't move my arms above my head.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
If that's a keeper, and if you're in Michigan, why didn't you get the original glass window? The plastic ones scratch if you just breathe on it and loose clarity after a few years, plus the glass has a defroster.

summer car, doesn't see inclement weather at all. 8 year warranty on clarity and hazing. Plus the OEM top is a two piece and a royal PITA to install.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
SN95, has curves in all the right places
cool.gif

+1.. and red should be the only color for it imo.

Nice ride OP 👌

here it is after a wash with the old top. 2nd pic is how it is now. I added the Mach1 lip spoiler and plasti-dipped the rear spoiler black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back