Change your oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2006 Acura TSX (191K miles) had the valves adjusted for the 1st time last week.
I have been meaning to do it, but due to 2 surgeries over the past year my wrench pulling has been limited.
I had carpel tunnel surgery almost 2 weeks ago; I am outta commission.

Anyways, there is an excellent shop near me; I have never used them. Heck, Other than tires and alignment, I never visit shops.
Dave ran the valves and could not believe how clean the head internals were after pulling the valve cover.
"I thought mabe 91K so I checked the odometer. Unbelievable."

Since new, the car has had 5K to maybe 7K services with mostly M1 5w30.
I used M1 5w20 for a couple years and accidently 0w20 Idemitsu once. Maybe a Valvoline or Quaker State in there?
I probably switched to High Mileage after 130K, who knows?
Generally Wix or M1 filters. There is a Fram XG7317 on there now.

Just do it.
By the way, this car is perfect.

Originally Posted by mcrn
Very nice! Did you get any pics of the valve-train?

+1

Without pics, how can we accept your version of the events that unfolded as factual and not fiction?
confused2.gif

I ran into a fellow racer a couple weeks ago who thought it was normal for a race engine to have some varnish and such in it due to the increased fuel dilution and soot. I pulled the valve cover off one of our 632ci alcohol bracket engines, that has over 600 passes on it, and the billet aluminum is still nice and shiny. He couldn't believe it.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

+1

Without pics, how can we accept your version of the events that unfolded as factual and not fiction?
confused2.gif

I have met Jeff, I can vouch for him. He would not lie to us.

K24A2?

I don't think we've ever seen a UOA posted in the UOA section with the oil anywhere near condemnation limits in any aspect. These engines are excellent candidates for long drains. Probably even as good as the GM 60-degree V6's which can easily do 40-50k mi drains on decent synthetic.

Key with the K24's is to maintain good watch over the oil quantity, as the timing chain is splash lubed and the design is not all that tolerant of being run low of oil.

Good point.
He did take some pics due to the cleanliness. I will see if he can send them to me.

Originally Posted by The Critic

+1

confused2.gif

I can vouch for Critic, so therefore I can vouch for Jeff via proxy.

Thanks for the story, hey man don't let that limit ya, get some torque sticks and a impact on low setting, you can do anything. At least after that stuff heals a little more.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

+1

confused2.gif

Well in that case, since bdcardinal used to drive a Volvo and anyone who drives a Volvo can be trusted, I suppose I can vouch for him.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

+1

confused2.gif

Well in that case, since bdcardinal used to drive a Volvo and anyone who drives a Volvo can be trusted, I suppose I can vouch for him.
coffee2.gif

Yeah, but you're Canadian, so therefore you just broke the entire chain...
crackmeup2.gif

Glad to hear you had such good luck. I am going to start keeping my vehicles longer because I keep them up nicely only to save it for the next guy. LOL! I bet that Tesla in your signature is a blast to drive.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Glad to hear you had such good luck. I am going to start keeping my vehicles longer because I keep them up nicely only to save it for the next guy. LOL! I bet that Tesla in your signature is a blast to drive.

The Model 3 is really something... Amazing; futuristic. Instant torque from the electromagnetic motor.
Here's a pic:

68 Plain Jane.jpg

Starting to think some in this thread are fueled by an amber colored liquid …
The drivers that is, never mind …
wink.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher

Yeah, but you're Canadian, so therefore you just broke the entire chain...
crackmeup2.gif

👆...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by 4WD
Starting to think some in this thread are fueled by an amber colored liquid …
The drivers that is, never mind …
wink.gif

32 years in AA. So no beer here, my friend.
All good.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Our 2006 Acura TSX (191K miles) had the valves adjusted for the 1st time last week.
I have been meaning to do it, but due to 2 surgeries over the past year my wrench pulling has been limited.
I had carpel tunnel surgery almost 2 weeks ago; I am outta commission.

Anyways, there is an excellent shop near me; I have never used them. Heck, Other than tires and alignment, I never visit shops.
Dave ran the valves and could not believe how clean the head internals were after pulling the valve cover.
"I thought mabe 91K so I checked the odometer. Unbelievable."

Since new, the car has had 5K to maybe 7K services with mostly M1 5w30.
I used M1 5w20 for a couple years and accidently 0w20 Idemitsu once. Maybe a Valvoline or Quaker State in there?
I probably switched to High Mileage after 130K, who knows?
Generally Wix or M1 filters. There is a Fram XG7317 on there now.

Just do it.
By the way, this car is perfect.

Do you feel any difference after the valve adjustment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back