Early Ford A4LD Trans -- ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by exranger06
Woah, so much confusion in this thread. Let's back up a little here... The dipstick says Dex II, likely because, as someone else mentioned, Mercon didn't exist yet. As soon as Mercon existed, Ford DID spec Mercon for the A4LD, as well as pretty much all of their transmissions. Dexron is a registered trademark of GM, Mercon is a registered trademark of Ford. Dexron III (which superseded Dexron II in the early 90s) is the same thing as regular Mercon. Ford and GM literally had different names for the same fluid. That's why you see many bottles of ATF that say "Dexron III/Mercon" or "Dex III/Merc" for short. Dex III/Mercon is about as generic of an ATF spec you can get, and probably just about any multi-vehicle or generic ATF will work just fine.

Now, both the Dexron III spec and Mercon specs are obsolete, and if you were to go to a Ford dealer and ask for Mercon, the parts guy would tell you it doesn't exist and that Mercon V supersedes it. Ditto for a GM dealer and they'd tell you Dexron VI supersedes Dex III. That doesn't mean that "Dex III/Merc" fluids don't exist (just go to any parts store and you'll find plenty of it). It just means that they're not "officially licensed" fluids. (In other words, Ford and GM haven't tested those fluids to make sure they meet their specifications and put their seal of approval on them.) If you want a current-spec fluid that Ford approves of, I'd go with an officially-licensed Mercon V fluid (look for the words "officially licensed" on the bottle; not all Mercon V is licensed!) If you have confidence that the oil company makes a good product without Ford looking over their shoulder, keeping them in check, then use a "Dex/Merc" fluid.

My mom is still driving an old '94 Explorer with the A4LD. Mercon is (was) the spec for it. I use Valvoline Maxlife in it. It has 225k miles and still shifts perfectly. Never had any problems with that transmission. I did the last fluid change at around 150k miles, so it's a little overdue for another change. I'll be doing another fluid change on it soon and I'll be using Maxlife again.

Or, just use dexron VI which is the proper replacement for a dexron II fluid as marked on his dipstick.

Except Dexron VI is NOT the proper replacement, as I already said. A4LDs use Mercon. The proper replacement for Mercon is Mercon V. Dexron is for GMs, Mercon is for Fords.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Not all dex VI is synthetic. Maxlife would probably be a better option for extended drain intervals, but the op states 30k. Any cheap Dex/Merc would suffice. Costs would also be cheaper, I can get gallons of Dex/Merc for like $10 at Rural King.

Correct, sorry I forgot that some were not fully synthetic. I was wrong.

It's cool. I'm pretty sure it's all at least a syn blend. It's hard for the OP to go wrong with any name brand modern equivalent. Dex VI would definitely work, so would mercon lv for that matter. The Dex/Merc would shear down to the lv at some point in usage as well. Most automatic transmission fluids are dexron clones anyways.

Except that the dipstick says dexron II and the correct replacement for that is dexron VI.

And I explained that the ONLY reason it says Dexron II is because Mercon didn't exist yet. If it had, it would've said Mercon. And the later A4LDs DID say Mercon on the dipstick.

Is there a price limit here ? Back when the big block GM's cooked early Dex ATF … Mobil1 Synthetic ATF took the heat pulling big loads down south. Also note how long Tig has used it in his Ford cars in both very cold and very hot seasons.
Still on the shelf … Reasonably priced if you shop around

I have a 94 a4ld with 140k miles and I can say that it shifts much better on Valvoline dex/merc than maxlife. I've had success with maxlife in other trannys but with my older truck I do 10k flush intervals because of stockpiled dex/merc. 13 dollars a gallon for pretty much the closest you can get for what its designed to run on. I do lean more toward the mercon v if you're looking for the more modern alternative.

Originally Posted by exranger06
Woah, so much confusion in this thread. Let's back up a little here... The dipstick says Dex II, likely because, as someone else mentioned, Mercon didn't exist yet. As soon as Mercon existed, Ford DID spec Mercon for the A4LD, as well as pretty much all of their transmissions. Dexron is a registered trademark of GM, Mercon is a registered trademark of Ford. Dexron III (which superseded Dexron II in the early 90s) is the same thing as regular Mercon. Ford and GM literally had different names for the same fluid. That's why you see many bottles of ATF that say "Dexron III/Mercon" or "Dex III/Merc" for short. Dex III/Mercon is about as generic of an ATF spec you can get, and probably just about any multi-vehicle or generic ATF will work just fine.

Now, both the Dexron III spec and Mercon specs are obsolete, and if you were to go to a Ford dealer and ask for Mercon, the parts guy would tell you it doesn't exist and that Mercon V supersedes it. Ditto for a GM dealer and they'd tell you Dexron VI supersedes Dex III. That doesn't mean that "Dex III/Merc" fluids don't exist (just go to any parts store and you'll find plenty of it). It just means that they're not "officially licensed" fluids. (In other words, Ford and GM haven't tested those fluids to make sure they meet their specifications and put their seal of approval on them.) If you want a current-spec fluid that Ford approves of, I'd go with an officially-licensed Mercon V fluid (look for the words "officially licensed" on the bottle; not all Mercon V is licensed!) If you have confidence that the oil company makes a good product without Ford looking over their shoulder, keeping them in check, then use a "Dex/Merc" fluid.

My mom is still driving an old '94 Explorer with the A4LD. Mercon is (was) the spec for it. I use Valvoline Maxlife in it. It has 225k miles and still shifts perfectly. Never had any problems with that transmission. I did the last fluid change at around 150k miles, so it's a little overdue for another change. I'll be doing another fluid change on it soon and I'll be using Maxlife again.

This was my line of thinking. Thank you for the good explanation.

I have only driven it about 20 miles since dropping the trans, replacing the front seal, and reinstalling, but it appears to be shifting well on the SuperTech HM ATF I put in it to start since my local Walmart was out of the Valvoline Dex/Merc fluid I had used previously.

I'll drive it a little while and drop and do a filter change again as this trans set for 6 year with dirt dobbers building nest galore. No telling where one could be hiding!

Thank you all for the comments.

Last edited:

I have only driven it about 20 miles since dropping the trans, replacing the front seal, and reinstalling, but it appears to be shifting well on the SuperTech HM ATF I put in it to start since my local Walmart was out of the Valvoline Dex/Merc fluid I had used previously.

I'll drive it a little while and drop and do a filter change again as this trans set for 6 year with dirt dobbers building nest galore. No telling where one could be hiding!

Thank you all for the comments.[/quote]
i can also second that mine shifted very well on the ST HM (a HM dex/merc variant) and even using that would serve you well so long as its changed frequently.

Originally Posted by ford4wd08

I think not long after my trans came out they transitioned to Mercon for all the A4LD's.

That is correct. Mercon came out in 1987 and is what was specified for the A4LD for the remainder of production.

I would use any decent Dex/Merc type fluid.

I use Maxlife in my 1994 Explorer with the A4LD. It shifts great.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser

i can also second that mine shifted very well on the ST HM (a HM dex/merc variant) and even using that would serve you well so long as its changed frequently.[/quote]

Good to know it liked the ST HM. It is readily available.

I think next step will be a pan with a drain plug. I hate ATF baths!

i can also second that mine shifted very well on the ST HM (a HM dex/merc variant) and even using that would serve you well so long as its changed frequently.

[/quote]
My advice is to buy a vacuum pump and suck the atf out of the dipstick tube, then to drop the pan and change the filter. Makes the job way less messy and no dealing with making your own drain. If you could buy a pan with one that would be a good option too. Vacuum pumps make atf changes a breeze.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421

My advice is to buy a vacuum pump and suck the atf out of the dipstick tube, then to drop the pan and change the filter. Makes the job way less messy and no dealing with making your own drain. If you could buy a pan with one that would be a good option too. Vacuum pumps make atf changes a breeze. [/quote]

Rock auto has a couple of pans listed that appear to have oil plugs in the hump, but the vacuum pump sounds like a great idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back