Twin Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was invited on to a friend's family's boat. I excused myself from the polite company, and got a tour of the engine room. I donned hearing protection and met the Cats.

Twin 1,600hp Caterpillars, ear splitting and quite impressive. Interesting that the filters are oiled fabric. They look like K&N, but there were no markings. I could have hung out for an hour looking at the details, but had to be up top...

[Linked Image]

It must be a big a,, boat !! I'll bet the day on the water was nice !

I worked as crew on a 110' Hatteras had 2 CAT 3508s 1600hp. Painted on the engines were ''Cat in the hat " cartoons. Captain never exceeded 10 knots it had 70'' props- taller than yours truly. Don't touch bottom with its 9' draft or it will cost many $$$ to straiten those props..
15.gif

Just ordered a half dozen 3516's for work, those have been a global success …
C280-16's are the bigger units we run …

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by 4WD
Just ordered a half dozen 3516's for work, those have been a global success …
C280-16's are the bigger units we run …

How much $?

CAT 3516 New Surplus Diesel Engine
1 YEAR PARTS WARRANTY
US $222,384.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-3516-New-Surplus-Diesel-Engine-Tag-OR8558-/153514044476

$30,000 core charge
CAT-3516 Core CAT 3516 Complete
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-3516-Core-CAT-3516-Complete-/323297372420

What oil do these engines run?

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Was invited on to a friend's family's boat. I excused myself from the polite company, and got a tour of the engine room. I donned hearing protection and met the Cats.

Twin 1,600hp Caterpillars, ear splitting and quite impressive. Interesting that the filters are oiled fabric. They look like K&N, but there were no markings. I could have hung out for an hour looking at the details, but had to be up top...

[Linked Image]

Were the oil filters spin on ?

Look very similar to the C32's in the yacht a friend of the family owns
thumbsup2.gif
14 knot cruising speed, 17 knot max, 47 metre length.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I live how that ship is designed for 8 people plus the owner comfortably. That's a huge boat for 9 people. Must be comfortable indeed!

Yeah, she spends a great deal of the off-season on it when we are getting snow up here. She had it built specifically for her and her usage profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back