Opinions on those Chinese Knockoff eBay/Amazon maintenance kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only ask out of curiosity to see what you all think/your own experiences.

I see these all over, available for the vast majority of name brand saws/trimmers/etc on Amazon. They usually are $10-25 bucks, and include all new fuel lines, spark plug, fuel +air filter(s), a carburetor, etc. I have used these on a couple pieces of unimportant/cheap equipment that I got for free or not worth getting name brand parts, and it was a definite hit or miss. The carburetors are about 50/50 if they even run, I've ran into one recently for an Echo PAS-230 where it was really not possible to properly adjust, even with a tachometer in the other hand, the tolerances were so far off from what could be considered functional. Also a fuel line grommet for my own Echo SRM-210 that lasted under a year before it started leaking (even with ethanol free premix). But, on the other hand, how can you mess up a cellulose air filter?

At my work, I only mess with genuine Stihl parts for customers equipment. New carbs go on without need for adjustment, no ignition coils that die after 1 hour, etc. Seems to be cost/benefit.

Is it worth it to you to pay up for the OEM stihl/echo/honda "maintenance kits" sometimes 4x the cost?

Home Depot stocks genuine Echo fuel line kits with new tank grommet, line, cap gasket, purge bulb, and filter. I rolled with that instead of one of the Chinese kits.

Read too many bad reviews on the fuel line that deteriorates quickly, and tank grommets that don't seal proper, so I am staying away from that mess. The genuine Echo tank grommets are a PITA to install, but that tight fit means no leaks.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Your the small engine repair guy with experience, what does that tell you?

What? I'm just asking for people's thoughts. Like I said, I've seen a wide range of quality from kit to kit, and hit or miss.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Home Depot stocks genuine Echo fuel line kits with new tank grommet, line, cap gasket, purge bulb, and filter. I rolled with that instead of one of the Chinese kits.

Read too many bad reviews on the fuel line that deteriorates quickly, and tank grommets that don't seal proper, so I am staying away from that mess. The genuine Echo tank grommets are a PITA to install, but that tight fit means no leaks.

For sure that's the better idea. I've used the Echo ones and they lasted years, bought the Chinese one to see if they've changed since the last time I used one of them for an echo. They did change for the worse!

I piece my "kits" instead of those all in kits. I use the Chinese carbs and bulk air filters. Plugs and fuel hose I tend to pass the cheaper ones.

I have never used the cheap chinese stuff. Only OEM or reputable aftermarket in everything (lawn equipment, cars, boat, etc). Funny thing, many OEM parts are made in China but at least they are made to specific specs. Had to replace the fan motor on my Lennox AC unit recently and was somewhat surprised it was made in china, instead of mexico or something.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Like I said, I've seen a wide range of quality from kit to kit, and hit or miss.

Same.

I have tried several parts and "kits" - sometimes a flawless experience, sometimes a disaster.

The replacement carbs for under $20 can be a lifesaver on many different equipment.

I have purchased 2 or 3 carbs off of EBay . They ran . Last one was for a lawn edger a cousin gave me ( old carb was leaking badly ) .

I am not a small motor repair person , just a home owner .

Like said above. Total hit/miss. I've had OPE carb kits arrive with broken bits and have had them be perfect and perform as new. I'm willing to take the risk because of the massive cost savings for my own use, or when specified.

I buy engine and cabin air filter kits all the time for our cars at a fraction of the cost of OEM or parts stores. No fit, finish, performance issues that I can see.

Last edited:
I purchased a briggs kit for my generator, an air filter, petcock, fuel line and spark plug for like 15 bucks on amazon, maybe less. It was Saturday night at 9:30 and showed up Sunday morning at 10:30am. This was two years ago and so far Im happy. The filter appeared to be oem briggs, spark plug was champion and the fuel line was very thick and petcock was oem. Just two weeks ago I got it out of the shed and it started up first pull, thankfully Dorian stayed east and I dident have to use it.

I've used a handful of the Chinese carbs, on a Mantis, on a Briggs mower, a few tillers, a tecumseh snow blower etc and never yet had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky, who knows.

I don't know but there sure are a lot of carbs under different names on Amazon and ebay for Poulan Weedeater. No idea how good, reliable they are. Glad I didn't have to purchase one. I was leaning to a Poulan/Husqvarna OEM that I saw on ebay if needed. Mostly because not a job I wanted to do more than once.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I had good luck with the "HURI" brand kit for a B&S 675 E. It runs great.

I just threw a Huri carb on my little harbor freight generator. I was cursing them as soon as I turned on the gas and it was leaking fuel all over.... Turns out I forgot to make sure the bowl drain screw was completely tightened. After a few adjustments, the little storm cat is running better than it ever has.

I put a $16 Chinese knockoff carb from Amazon on my Briggs generator, along with the petcock/grommet/filter and filter from a $10 "tuneup kit" of which I ignored the thin fuel line. Interestingly enough from the factory there was no inline filter. Runs fine no problems.

I ran into a small engine shop to get some Tru-Fuel and asked about the oem carb for the same generator... Same part I got from Amazon just in a B&S bag and $40 more.

My OEM gasket set cost $13.99 + shipping, the compete carb $10.85 with free Carburetor Muffler Gaskets & FUEL LINE.....decision? $10.85 and free shipping.

Bought a knock off Briggs carb for my pressure washer a few months ago. Never could get the float to stop sticking. Ran decent when the float was working. Rebuilt the original Briggs carb. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back