metal shavings in oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I changed the oil and filter in a 2012 Chevy Cruze and 2019 Chevy Colorado V6. Both vehicles take the AC PF2257G filter. The Colorado has 1600 miles and the Cruze 43K miles. I inspected the filter from the Colorado and found a few tiny shavings which look like aluminum from a machining process. The Cruze filter had more and larger shavings. I have changed the oil and filter yearly on the Cruze and the car is driven 4000 to 5000 miles per year, mostly around town. Wouldn't the engine be clear of shavings after all this time and mileage? The engine is a non turbo 4.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Will post some pix of the cut open filters if possible.

Brand and model of filters? New Royal Purple and FRAM had some shavings for a very short time. They owned up and sent free oil filters to people.

The old and new filters were AC PF2257G . I have installed a lot of these and never found shavings in a NEW filter. I was mainly wondering why the Cruze is producing shavings at 43K miles.

I never noticed a lot of crud in the filters, but why is drained oil always so "glittery" in the sunlight?

Isn't a good oil filter supposed to trap any particles large enough to be seen by the naked eye?

Last edited:
Are you doing he person doing all of the oil changes on these vehicles every time?

Could it be they have never had all of the oil drained before and there was a bit of shavings that never made it out of the oil pan?

Sounds like you need to get a UOA done on the Cruze at least.

I maybe can see having shavings in the 2019 model . Not on the 2012 model , unless something is " going wrong " . I agree , get the oil tested , at least on that one .

I also agree , you should not see " glitter " in the drained / old oil . Certainly not after the first oil change . That is why , on our 2015 Sonic , I did the initial oil change early . But do not remember seeing glitter ?

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by Linctex
I never noticed a lot of crud in the filters, but why is drained oil always so "glittery" in the sunlight?

Isn't a good oil filter supposed to trap any particles large enough to be seen by the naked eye?

That glitter suspended in the oil is smaller than 20μ. You may not be able to see one lone <20μ partical, but can see millions of them together.

JC1 - I have done all oil and filter changes on the 2012 Cruze. I plan to run the current fill of Mobil 1 for 2000 miles or so, and do a UOA. I have a vacuum extractor and can pull a small sample out the dipstick or just dump the Mobil 1 early.

Originally Posted by Oldtom
JC1 - I have done all oil and filter changes on the 2012 Cruze. I plan to run the current fill of Mobil 1 for 2000 miles or so, and do a UOA. I have a vacuum extractor and can pull a small sample out the dipstick or just dump the Mobil 1 early.

Thanks for letting us know. I used to do motor flushes,wondering if a flush at the next OCI will make the oil thiin enough to get all that glitter out. I would be tempted to use a Fram Ultra as the next filter to see if you can do the best job possible before the flush as well. Keep us posted.

Sounds odd.
New filters may be coming with metal already in them
Could not see any large shavings ending up in anything but a first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back