5.4 Triton 3V vehicles and issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of a Navigator or maybe F-150. By now the spark plugs should have been changed (Although I looked at an 08 with 165K that the owner said no!).
There are some horror stories that the tensioner seal leaks and eventually grenades the engine.

Then again many are driven/sold at very high mileage with no issue and the internet could be magnifying things. There were so many sold that any vehicle would show some issues.

There is no real way to tell either. Unless you tear down the engine, once you hear noise the upper end is starved of oil and likely ruined.

Then I find reviews like this;
My 2007 king ranch as 331,000 miles and has driven interstate miles at 70-85 mph, desert roads and oil and gas roads in west Texas, and 3' deep mud along pipeline in Iowa-only maintenance has been oil changes every 5000 miles, ball joints, and plug change at 200,000. Still runs, drives, and looks good.

5 people found this helpful.
Mark helpful
Lariat4004 answered 4 weeks ago

My 04 F-150 lariat 5.4l 4wd crew cab has around 530,000 miles. It still takes us from Ohio to Mississippi three times a year and is used daily as a work truck.

Are these a big risk to buy?

There is always a level of risk buying a used vehicle if you don't know how to look it over. The higher the mileage, the greater the risk.

And yes, the internet does magnify things significantly. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by ford46guy
I'm thinking of a Navigator or maybe F-150. By now the spark plugs should have been changed (Although I looked at an 08 with 165K that the owner said no!).
There are some horror stories that the tensioner seal leaks and eventually grenades the engine.

Then again many are driven/sold at very high mileage with no issue and the internet could be magnifying things. There were so many sold that any vehicle would show some issues.

Are these a big risk to buy?

I hear you. The 3V 5.4L F-150's from the 2000's DO have the issues as you described. With that said, the internet does magnify things. When you look deep in to see the repair history through the 2000's, the Chevy Silverado has a distinctly better track record than the 5.4 3V 150, at least engine wise. Does that mean every single F-150 from that era is "bad". No! Some will last and run and give you extremely high mileage. It is an elevated risk to buy a used F-150, but just moderately so. The consensus I have found is to step up in oil viscosity to a 5w-30 or 10w-30 if you are in a warmer climate, use a oil filter with the anti drain back valve, and change more often, 3000-5000 miles max.

My high mileage 2007 F-150 with 190K miles has been perfect, "so far".

Although there have been many engine failures on Chevrolet from the MDS (multiple displacement or cylinder deactivation) Use of a tuner to deactivate this system is recommended.

As I understand it, some people have problems and others do not. It might be your drive cycle or style. If you have a failure and get it fixed by the dealer, they install a reman engine with the same system and it will likley fail again. A good reilder should be able to install an engine without this system at all for lower cost and greater reliability. You might get 1 mpg less.

Rod

I find it strange they left the 2v in the E-*** vans where reliability is more important than performance since most all are commercial use. The 2v has problems too. My engine was replaced really early due to leaking oil from the head gasket/ block. New motor sweats a little oil in that are and has for years. 01F-150 5.4l.

You might want to visit F150 forums. There is a lot of info there on the 5.4L engines and the issues are fixable on an otherwise rock solid engine.
I joined after I got my 2004 with the 4.6L 2V. I am glad I have the 4.6L as they are even more solid than the 5.4 although less horsepower.

Use synthetic 10W-30 and change every 5000. There won't be any operational problems with later 5.4's. However, that's not to say that the oil pump backing plate and cam chain tensioners are not leaking slightly. It's just that the more viscous oil will make it to everywhere it needs to go. The use of 5W-20 and 10,000 mile oil changes may result in problems.

watch

Last edited:
The 2V 5.4s were rock solid with the exception of the occasional plug chucker. I never personally knew anyone with the spark plug issue but the internet of full of the stories. My 2V 5.4 has 160k issue free miles, still has OEM starter, alternator, water pump and AC. Only things that had had to be replaced is the radiator and brake booster....I keep up on the maintenance.

I personally wouldn't buy a 3V unless I got a great deal on it and was willing to incorperate the fixes for the cam phaser issues...and I'm a big Ford fan.

Originally Posted by thastinger
The 2V 5.4s were rock solid with the exception of the occasional plug chucker. I never personally knew anyone with the spark plug issue but the internet of full of the stories. My 2V 5.4 has 160k issue free miles, still has OEM starter, alternator, water pump and AC. Only things that had had to be replaced is the radiator and brake booster....I keep up on the maintenance.

I personally wouldn't buy a 3V unless I got a great deal on it and was willing to incorperate the fixes for the cam phaser issues...and I'm a big Ford fan.

Guy I work with has a Heavy Half 7 Lug 7700lbs truck with a 5.4. He is closing in on 170,000 only issues he has was a rear end which isn't vehicle specific, his has chucked three plugs, needed a water pump and starter, but I don't think it was super pricey to get the plugs fixed. Based on his usage and maintenance completed, he is doing good.

Only thing he doesn't like is he wanted to get rims and there are hardly any options for the 7 lugs trucks out there. Has been a pretty solid truck.

I wouldn't say to stay away from them. I would however try to find one with good service records. Maintenance helps a lot. There are a few outliers of course; I myself am experiencing this now. My '10 F-150 w/ 103K is currently getting a motor replacement and it had good service records. Again though, always going to be failures with any engine. We have another 3V in the family w/ 170K and it's doing just fine.

Depending in the date of the motor, '08 was when they addressed the 2 peice plug breaking issue, so may not be a problem (something about looking at the COP boot cover, brown vs black, not sure which is which).
The cam phaser and VCT solenoids were still an issue though.

I am nursing along my brother in laws '04 with the 3v 5.4 with lots of metal in the filter every oil change. I keep telling him to sell it while it is still running, otherwise it will be scrap.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Depending in the date of the motor, '08 was when they addressed the 2 peice plug breaking issue, so may not be a problem (something about looking at the COP boot cover, brown vs black, not sure which is which).
The cam phaser and VCT solenoids were still an issue though.

I am nursing along my brother in laws '04 with the 3v 5.4 with lots of metal in the filter every oil change. I keep telling him to sell it while it is still running, otherwise it will be scrap.

Black were the 2 piece plugs, brown boots for the 1 piece full thread style.

I would personally have no problem owning a 5.4 3V. But then again I feel the same about a 6.0L Powerstroke.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Black were the 2 piece plugs, brown boots for the 1 piece full thread style.

I would personally have no problem owning a 5.4 3V. But then again I feel the same about a 6.0L Powerstroke.

I thought that was the case, but just was not sure which was which.

I have no problem with the 3v 5.4 either, if taken care of from day one, but most were not (especially the '04 and '05's since the issues were not well known yet).

Originally Posted by blupupher
I have no problem with the 3v 5.4 either, if taken care of from day one, but most were not (especially the '04 and '05's since the issues were not well known yet).

And if someone gets s smoking deal on one with a questionable history, just get a reman longblock or build the existing one right so it lasts. Its really not that hard, just pay attention and buy the right parts.

anything over a 100 thou is a crap shoot!! "do you feel lucky punk" a famous saying, but in reality if it was taken care of there are wear items for sure, so buy cheap + expect to fix things or like i did a 2011 frontier i recently purchased with 28 thou on it + overpaid IMO 19G as i later found it came from salty Massachusetts. my fault buying in a hurry from carmax on a very cold winter day where i failed to get a good look at it as they had it outside + didn't move it into their heated wash area until i purchased it, overall a good truck but not worth the $$$ IMO!!

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

That says a lot coming from you - - and BOTH are good if maintained right.
Now..... a 6.4 PowerStroke will never set foot on my property.
That's a whole 'nother critter.

My 05 Ford Expedition I bought many years ago is the best vehicles I ever bought , it's very cheap and for the life I own it , I do nothing but change the oil and set of brake pad , I don't even change the rotor . And set of new tires , and that what it 5w20 Quaker state and FL820s every 5-6 month or 4K miles for 270k miles , when I bought it has 180k miles , I travel all over America with it, most reliable vehicles I ever own ,

My intent for this truck was drive until it broke . And it's been fine for 6 years . New set of brake pad , 4 news tires . And that what it. When I'm bought my Titan truck , dealer offer me $500 for it , Since the expedition help me go thru so much when I went thru tough time , I'm keep the expedition and turn it into hauling stuff truck . And it only cost $20 a month on my insurance . So I keep this truck as spare vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back