Help Choosing Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is 2017 Outback.

I have about 65k on it now. I had a set of replacement tires that will need to be replaced by December this year. The Continental Pure Contact were decent but didn't last as long as I'd like and not the best in the rain once the tread started going bye-bye. I know you can expect some additional wear on AWD vehicles. Driving conditions are a lot of hills, turns, and highway too. All four seasons where I live and travel to northern states in snowy conditions often.

What can you recommend? I know Geolander is one choice BUT there has to be something better since that tire has been out.

Originally Posted by krzyss
Do you want second set of winter tires?

KrzyÅ›

No Sir, all seasons is what I'm looking for.

Very happy with the General Altimax RT43 we have on our '13 Outback. They were around $550 installed at Discount + $130 for new TPMS. They are better in snow and ice and are wearing better than both the Conti's (OEM) (30K) and Michelin Premier A/S (45K) that we had previously. We change the tires in the late fall if they are under 5/32 for snow traction. Most of the tire places have black Friday sales if you can wait.

Last edited:
I also drive in upstate NY in the winter with my Camry (Syracuse). I have Pirelli P4 Four Season Plus and had zero issues driving around . They claim 90k mile treadwear (not counting on it). If you have a Sam's Club nearby, you can order them and have all 4 installed for under $450.

Originally Posted by BISCUT

I have about 65k on it now. I had a set of replacement tires that will need to be replaced by December this year. The Continental Pure Contact were decent but didn't last as long as I'd like and not the best in the rain once the tread started going bye-bye. I know you can expect some additional wear on AWD vehicles. Driving conditions are a lot of hills, turns, and highway too. All four seasons where I live and travel to northern states in snowy conditions often.

What can you recommend? I know Geolander is one choice BUT there has to be something better since that tire has been out.

Don't be that out-of-stater holding up traffic in VT, NH, etc with all-seasons.

Look at All-weather tires, which have the RMA's 3-peak mountain snowflake logo on it such as
The firestone mentioned earlier
Vredestein Quactrac 5
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
Nokian WR G4 SUV.

What is the tire size?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Look at All-weather tires, which have the RMA's 3-peak mountain snowflake logo on it such as
Vredestein Quactrac 5
Nokian WR G4 SUV.

01.gif

General Altimax RT43 great value for the $$, have bought 3 sets for different cars in the past year. Very pleased.

Find an exclusive tire dealer in your area with the bestest reputation and ask him. They want you to come back and will probably have the most reliable info that you can trust.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Vredestein Quactrac 5
Nokian WR G4 SUV.

I'm originally a MASShole so I get it I'm a flatlander. No worries on me holding up traffic! for sure.

SO many choices! Hard to determine what's best for the needs!

I live in FL but agree with dtownfb on the Pirelli P4 , great wear and ride in FL,so if they are good in the northland, the best value at sams.

I take it you have the 3.6R because you're using 5w30 oil? If so then you have 225/60/18 tires. The Michelin Crossclimate SUV would fit the bill for your area.

[Linked Image from tirerack.com]

[Linked Image from tirerack.com]

Originally Posted by Gebo
Find an exclusive tire dealer in your area with the bestest reputation and ask him. They want you to come back and will probably have the most reliable info that you can trust.

Great relationship with tire shop owner and his manager. They tend to like certain brands over others based on customer complaints NOT on the true performance of the tire. Often the feedback they get is simply over price and some durability. They are a fan of Conti, as am I. Just doesn't seem to last or perform as well as I'd like on the Subaru.

I just picked up a set of Fuel rims and 4 Conti Terrain Contact 275 60 20's for 2k from this shop for my F150. That included unmounting the stock tires and boxing the stock wheels. They treat me well.

The size for the Subaru is stock: 255 60 18.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Great relationship with tire shop owner and his manager. They tend to like certain brands over others based on customer complaints NOT on the true performance of the tire. Often the feedback they get is simply over price and some durability. They are a fan of Conti, as am I. Just doesn't seem to last or perform as well as I'd like on the Subaru.

I just picked up a set of Fuel rims and 4 Conti Terrain Contact 275 60 20's for 2k from this shop for my F150. That included unmounting the stock tires and boxing the stock wheels. They treat me well.

The size for the Subaru is stock: 255 60 18.

The new PureContact LS may be worth a look. They are improved over the last version.

How long do you expect tires to last? Unless you are driving on straight highway roads, I rarely see more than 30-45K out of any tires out here.

Originally Posted by Wheel
For All Seasons I'd look at the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring.

That would be a huge downgrade over the PureContacts.

Downgrade in what ways, please?

Unless you tell me something frightening, CS5's are to be my next tire.....when my Goodyear Eagle RS-A's wear out.

The GY is said to be horribly pedestrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back