AT tires for 2wd pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I would have an interest in your thought's. Looking for a tire good for year round use here in snowy West Michigan for the truck in my signature below. It is a 2 wheel drive with a limited slip rear axle. I live and work in town, so I should not have to worry about deep drifting snow found on country roads. It would be nice not to have to switch tires and or wheels w/tires 2x a year. I have been told the Cooper AT3 4S would be a good candidate. What do you think?

The Coopers AT's are great tire 2 trucks in our fleet uses them, the pnly down side is they wear out quick in our field of work normally by 30k they have like 20% thread left, we do over load these trucks most of the time.
I would personally recommend the Yokohama Geolander G015 AT, I have one as a spare and haven't removed it yet, has 15k and has no visible wear and it already has 15k on it and, who knows how many it had before I bought it used from a local tire shop.

What is your tire size?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
What is your tire size?
smile.gif

P245/75R-16" Original equipment tire is the Toyo Open Country.

How hot does it really get where you live in the summer - I mean sustained high temps?

I used to live in NYC and wanted to leave tires on all the time, but needed very good snows to get to VT in the winter. I eventually left them on in the summer as I really didn't drive the car that much. Didn't make a lot of difference IMO. Here in the PNW, no problem leaving snows on all year.

Cooper makes a very affordable dedicated M+S snow, I'm thinking of using it next on my SUV year-round. Have had two sets of Cooper AS tires on the sedan the last several years; outstanding price/quality combination IMO. Best snows I ever had were in fact Yokohamas, but that was a little while ago and I'm not up to date on the current offerings out there.

Originally Posted by HM12460
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
What is your tire size?
smile.gif

P245/75R-16" Original equipment tire is the Toyo Open Country.

I've lived in MI my whole life and actually moving away from the Kzoo area right now towards the east side. The Toyo Open Country AT2 on my 04 Grand Cherokee are amazing in the snow. I recommend them. I've also heard good things about Falken Wildleak AT3W tires.
Edit: I have the Coopers on my truck but they seem to be getting fairly worn around 30k miles. They seem to have plenty of life left but they slide around a lot till I use 4wd, but maybe that was just ice

Last edited:
I like the Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain tires.... not sure WHICH (of several) "Wranglers" they are...

After a search, it looks like they are NOW called "DuraTrac"?

I've got Nokian Rotiivas on my 2wd Sierra, and they are fantastic year round. I paid about $125.00 each, so the price is right too.

Nokian would be a great choice for year round with good snow performance. The Nokian tires on my truck, WR G3 SUV, are excellent in snow. Far better than all seasons. I think the Rotiiva is available in your size.

Those Duratracs have a good reputation in Vermont - excellent snow performance is what people are saying - and would be a great choice.

Easier to find Goodyear's than Nokian.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dadto2
I've got Nokian Rotiivas on my 2wd Sierra, and they are fantastic year round. I paid about $125.00 each, so the price is right too.

Which Rotiiva? I see that the Rotiiva HT is available in the OP's size for $125 at Discount Tire, but they don't seem to be a 3PMS-marked tire. The Rotiiva AT and -AT Plus do have the 3PMS symbol, but they're $153 and $176 respectively on DTD.

BFG AT2 is the best tire I have had on my truck for wear and traction. Only limited snow use but seemed better than the Toto M/t, Cooper STT or Procomp AT (cooper).

Last edited:
Check out the tirerack test writeup for a few AT tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=240

For an AT, IIRC the Cooper AT3 4S did well as did the new Bridgestone Revo3. In previous tests, I recall the mainstream hardcore ATs such as the BFG and Goodyear did not fair as well in the snow. Snow needs more siping, and AT tires tend to have larger lugs and less siping. For this reason, a tire that's less AT-biased and more highway/all weather biased would be recommended for snow work.

The newest version of the Firestone A/T2 has more siping than the last gen. There's a lot of diehard followers for that tire.

I've just picked up the newer continental TerrainContact AT. It is NOT well-reviewed for snow, but it's quickly becoming a favorite for me. They have a hwy version of this carcass with more siping which could be spot on for what you are looking for: TERRAINCONTACT H/T and maybe the CrossContact LX20.

For snow - you want siping, not big lugs. There are others out there as well, but these are tires and brands I have some familiarity with. I am generally a big fan of coopers. They tend to use softer rubber in my experience which also helps when it's cold out.

Of course, weight in the bed is also a huge help. A buddy of mine used to put a couple hundred pounds of mulch in his bed in the early winter. Snow would soak into it and double the weight. Since it conformed to the shape in the bed, it didn't shift around. In the spring, he'd shovel it into his yard. He got around 100% just fine.

Last edited:
I have Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my Liberty and Cooper Discoverer AT3 4Ss on my old Cherokee, both are amazing in snow/ice. Better than the Nitto Terra Grapplers I used to run. Just got a set of the Yoko G015s for my newer Cherokee so we'll see how those work.

I have owned two rear wheel drive trucks, and after one winter i swore never to go without dedicated winter tires again..

Are you going off-road or not? If not, don't restrict yourself to AT tires.

Like meep said, siping is what you need for ice and snow, not big lugs.

Originally Posted by meep

The newest version of the Firestone A/T2 has more siping than the last gen. There's a lot of diehard followers for that tire.

I have had these in the past and really liked them. My 2WD Ranger got around surprisingly well in the snow with them, and it has an open diff.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Are you going off-road or not? If not, don't restrict yourself to AT tires.

Like meep said, siping is what you need for ice and snow, not big lugs.

This. I had some AT's (General Grabber AT2's I think) on the 2wd S10, but no siping and it was an absolute disaster in the snow. I got stuck in my driveway in less than 2", even with a locker and 300lbs of weight in the back.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
Originally Posted by dadto2

Which Rotiiva? I see that the Rotiiva HT is available in the OP's size for $125 at Discount Tire, but they don't seem to be a 3PMS-marked tire. The Rotiiva AT and -AT Plus do have the 3PMS symbol, but they're $153 and $176 respectively on DTD.

I have the Rotiiva AT. I bought them in November 2018, maybe they increased a bit since last year. I would still buy them again, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back