Hip Joint Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Wife had it 11 days ago. She can now walk without a walker or cane. But for safety sake she only does it where she can grap onto something.

She had the other one done 6 years ago. He did both on the posterior. The New way is anterior bc the surgeon cuts less muscle and incision is smaller. But down side is the possibility of nicking a main verve and less access to the area. It really depends on the skill of the surgeon with the method he employs.

Nasty operation but every day is easier for me as a caregiver!!

Make sure you take care of yourself! Get some help if you can from family. Its tough being a caregiver for a family member, don't neglect youself. I've seen that happen.

They have really advanced that procedure. I've seen a few done during my time when I was assigned to the surgery area. The operation itself will look and sound horrific to the average person. Same goes for total knee jobs.

Here's to a quick and successful rehab.

My mother had one done a few years back - anterior type. The theory is first born women are more prone to this...

She healed very quickly. Her PT indicated that hips are much easier to recover from then knees.

Speedy full recovery to your wife.

I had a total knee replacement two years ago and I'm sure you know this, but the key to recovery is the PT afterwards. I'm not sure how hips compare to knees but for me the PT was brutal, but in the end was worth it. I knew this going in, so my head was in the right place to go through with it. Now, the overall feeling like crap for the week or so after surgery was a different story. I was not ready for that. My knee was less of an issue than dealing with the nausea and miserable nights trying to sleep.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Glad she is bnetter!

I'm looking at a total knee replacement in the next several years.....
frown.gif

I had left side total hip replacement in 2010, I was back to work in 3 weeks with therapy. It took about a year before my hip felt "normal" there was no pain but it just felt "different". Now 9 years later I am not even aware of it and hope it will last another 10-15 years.
Knees are a lot more complicated and take more to heal.

... It really depends on the skill of the surgeon with the method he employs...….
Imo and ime, I'd say the amount of experience the orthopod has with an approach is much more important than the approach used. While the anterior approach is now trendy, it is not a new procedure. Been around a long time.

As you mention, while the anterior approach is now promoted for the reasons listed, the drawbacks and complications listed are greater.

One of the best hip and knee surgeons in Charlotte NC uses what he calls a mini posterior approach. He's got all the work he can handle and is very highly respected. Also back in the day, metal on metal implants used to be the go to. No longer. Now ceramic ball with polyethylene socket liner is preferred.

Best wishes for your wife's speedy and complete recovery.

Personally I find it amazing what we can do, and what is now considered routine.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Thank you all. It is very much appreciated. We can all get snooty at each other at times. But with these things the good in all of us comes thru.

Thank you all again!!

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Well wishes for a better than expected recovery for your wife.

Well stated... ^^^^^

I had a doctor I worked with at MIH Dr. Carter who did the anterior approach.... He was amazing. .

We had most out our hip surgical patients up walking with a hour of half after getting out of PACU.... That was impressive.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
My mother had one done a few years back - anterior type. The theory is first born women are more prone to this...

She healed very quickly. Her PT indicated that hips are much easier to recover from then knees.

Speedy full recovery to your wife.

Years ago my older brother had both knees done. The first was "ok" it took a few months of pt but he recovered...but he had trouble recovering from the 2nd one. He got addicted to Oxy because of the pain with the 2nd procedure.

Here's to a speedy recovery by the Mrs, Al.ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Hey Al,
look after yourself man...she's had the best look after her, you are caretaking at the moment (not discounting your effort)

Al Nasty operation but every day is easier for me as a caregiver!![/quote said:
Some may consider your statement a bit selfish. Of course it is most difficult for the person that had the procedure. But, it is life altering for the immediate caregiver also. Been there, done that numerous times with my wife. Fortunately, it seems that something takes over inside of you that assists you to weather the storm. For me, it's that I shut down my day-to-day responsibilities (work, etc.) and focus on the real priorities. Eventually you have to re-engage with the real world, which can be another challenge.

Best wishes to BOTH of you. I hope you have a good support system of friends or family.

EDIT: LOL, Shannow and I had the same sentiment two minutes apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back