New Yoko Avid Ascend LX 85k Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made in USA!

But

How's the pricing I just paid cheap $$ for the highly rated Sumitomo for the Subaru.

But the priority here was quiet ride and excellent rain performance.

AVID was once the low tier Yoko line.

I hope they have improved their rain and Snow performance.

But I have liked their crisp steering response in the past.

Long past
frown.gif

Not made in the USA per Tirerack's website. They are made in the Philippines.

Originally Posted by Finklejag
Not made in the USA per Tirerack's website. They are made in the Philippines.

Not always accurate. They had the same error when TR first started selling Cooper. The CS3 and CS5 were listed as CHinese for the first week or two until teh fixed it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Actually, just purchased the GT's.

My Premier A/S's are at 1-3/32" --> ~ 44k miles total (disappointed.)

Did you get an adjustment? those were 60k warranty tires?

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of GTs but maybe I'll wait a bit and see with the opinions are on these. I love the last pair of yoko's that I had.

Originally Posted by Jp267
Be interesting to hear some reports after they've been out awhile.

https://www.tirereview.com/yokohama-all-season-avid-ascend-lx-tire/

Thanks for posting this. These are available for the Toyota Matrix that #2 son drives. He puts on about 22k miles/year and needs tires before this Fall. I've had good luck with various flavors of Toyo/Avid so we'll try these. Will order tonight or tomorrow.

Ray

Originally Posted by Rand

Did you get an adjustment? those were 60k warranty tires?

I've heard of this, but I'm not sure it's worth my time to pursue. I don't have professional rotation documentation, though all of my tires are within 1/32" average between all tires.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of GTs but maybe I'll wait a bit and see with the opinions are on these. I love the last pair of yoko's that I had.

If I had the time, that's exactly what I would do. My wife's tires in the Forester, being at the legal limit, need to be replaced now. I was hoping to get to the end of the year and replace the tires next year, when I swap back from the winter-wheel/tire setup, but then I started thinking:

1. Currently, I'm semi-forcing my wife into to taking the kids in my Legacy when it's forecast to rain more than a drizzle and I don't need the car. If I feel that she's so much safer in my Legacy with ProContacts @ ~7/32", then there's something wrong with my logic in waiting changing the tires now.

2. NOAA isn't always accurate in predicting the weather, and this is especially true when it comes to knowing when the first slush/ice storms that may occur in October, even though/if we get no real snow or low temperatures until the end of January sometimes.

3. I drove the FXT a couple of weeks ago in the rain and was able to break all four tires loose in a moderate (not mild, not aggressive) 90* turn (I was alone). It was kind of fun, but really made me think about how I've not once experienced that in any Subaru I've owned under even more aggressive circumstances ('97 Legacy, '06 WRX, '08 STI, '15 Legacy) and this puts my wife and kids in a potentially needlessly dangerous position.

4. I started looking for replacement when the tires were @ ~ 4/32", but not actively. I should have replaced the tires a couple of months ago, in all honesty. Allowing the tires to get to an average tread depth of 2/32" is absolutely, 100% stupid on my part.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Thanks for posting this. These are available for the Toyota Matrix that #2 son drives. He puts on about 22k miles/year and needs tires before this Fall. I've had good luck with various flavors of Toyo/Avid so we'll try these. Will order tonight or tomorrow.

Ray

No problem, but part of the credit, should go to Google. I just happened to be shopping for tires and Google suggested these. I was scratching my head and thinking Yoko Ascend LX? Huh? I figured they went the route of creating a tire, to sell exclusively, at Walmart or something. Did a quick search and came upon the trade article. Just a really strange coincidence. Thanks Google!

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Ray

PS If you think of it, give us a quick update, with your thoughts. ...

If I had the time, that's exactly what I would do. My wife's tires in the Forester, being at the legal limit, need to be replaced now. I was hoping to get to the end of the year and replace the tires next year, when I swap back from the winter-wheel/tire setup, but then I started thinking:

1. Currently, I'm semi-forcing my wife into to taking the kids in my Legacy when it's forecast to rain more than a drizzle and I don't need the car. If I feel that she's so much safer in my Legacy with ProContacts @ ~7/32", then there's something wrong with my logic in waiting changing the tires now.

2. NOAA isn't always accurate in predicting the weather, and this is especially true when it comes to knowing when the first slush/ice storms that may occur in October, even though/if we get no real snow or low temperatures until the end of January sometimes.

3. I drove the FXT a couple of weeks ago in the rain and was able to break all four tires loose in a moderate (not mild, not aggressive) 90* turn (I was alone). It was kind of fun, but really made me think about how I've not once experienced that in any Subaru I've owned under even more aggressive circumstances ('97 Legacy, '06 WRX, '08 STI, '15 Legacy) and this puts my wife and kids in a potentially needlessly dangerous position.

4. I started looking for replacement when the tires were @ ~ 4/32", but not actively. I should have replaced the tires a couple of months ago, in all honesty. Allowing the tires to get to an average tread depth of 2/32" is absolutely, 100% stupid on my part.

I'm only going to get about 25k miles out of the OEM Kuhmos on my '18 Optima. Very disappointing. Never had to replace an OEM on a new car before 40k due to tread wear. I replaced a set of Dunlop OEMs on a 2010 Accord at 38k just because they were noisy and not the best handling tires. Still they had plenty of tread.

I want to get them on before winter so I have a little breathing room to wait for a possible TR track test etc. Though they're starting to skid a bit in heavy rain which I don't like so I may not have as much breathing room as I think.

Good luck with your next set!

Last edited:

That's not bad at all for AWD

My Falken Sincera SN 250 A/S on the VW FWD are 1/2 worn out 5//32" at 5K miles!

And these are 60 series balloons!

Both Sumitomo and VW say .... nothing!

I'm calling VW corporate. 10 K would be concerning but 5k is ridiculous!

I assumed the wear rate would slow down after the tires were half-worn, but that just wasn't the case with the Premier A/S.

What's worse: I didn't track the mileage as closely as I thought I did. That 44k miles doesn't discount the time they were off the car and the winter setup was in-use. This means the actual mileage was probably closer to 30k miles than 40k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back