Just got the tornado warning notice..

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 miles from here there's a confirmed touch down.. heading due east, should skirt me cuzz I'm SE from where it was spotted.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Skippy722
The proper response is to go look outside and see if you can see anything.

But for real, stay safe.

Add to the proper response...

Take a video with your phone... And like that dumb guy in Illinois who stayed out on his screened in porch while a EF-4 hit his house... He got hurt kind of bad in that deal.. Some type of debris went into his face... World Champion.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL and you're in WA or you just didn't update your profile?

I don't get it... what's funny? You can't get the alert by the Natl Weather Service on ur phone unless you're in the effected area.

The warnings been lifted. One was spotted touching down about 10 miles N, NW from my house and moving dues East, NE according to the NWS radar... and I was SE so the risk was minimal at best. The thunderstorm would have had to totally veer off track for it to hit me... possible, but not probable.

And I was on BITOG when the alert came across my phone..so it's not like it affected my ability to seek shelter if needed. Besides, what else are you gonna do while hanging out in a dank basement?...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I don't get it... what's funny? You can't get the alert by the Natl Weather Service on ur phone unless you're in the effected area.

I guess he was reacting to the fact tornadoes are so very, very rare in WA. I see there is/was a warning in the SW of the state tonight. I turned out the lights and had dinner while watching the lighting show stream across Seattle and Lake Washington last night. Pretty neat!

Yup, it's supposed to be in my neighborhood, actually between my dad's and my houses. Not even a flicker in the light bulb, but the downpour was magnificent.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Yup, it's supposed to be in my neighborhood, actually between my dad's and my houses. Not even a flicker in the light bulb, but the downpour was magnificent.

Yes the weather was nasty today.. and my friends up north around Seattle got treated to one heck of lightning storm last night.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

I guess he was reacting to the fact tornadoes are so very, very rare in WA. I see there is/was a warning in the SW of the state tonight. I turned out the lights and had dinner while watching the lighting show stream across Seattle and Lake Washington last night. Pretty neat!

Oh I get it... yeah it's been several years since we've had an actual touchdown in these parts.

Last edited:
Friend on FB shared this from today's weather.. there were two warnings, hours apart, issued today in the greater Portland metro area and SW Washington.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:

The warnings been lifted. One was spotted touching down about 10 miles N, NW from my house and moving dues East, NE according to the NWS radar... and I was SE so the risk was minimal at best. The thunderstorm would have had to totally veer off track for it to hit me... possible, but not probable.

And I was on BITOG when the alert came across my phone..so it's not like it affected my ability to seek shelter if needed. Besides, what else are you gonna do while hanging out in a dank basement?...‚

Sir you make a great point. I don't blame you, afterall it's what I would do.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

Sir you make a great point. I don't blame you, afterall it's what I would do.

Right!.. I'm not the panicky type. Besides I was at my 70yr old mom's place having supper when the alert came across. I had to stay calm and make sure she knew what to do in the event the winds started to pick up good. Fortunately it looks like it wasn't on the ground for long. The one (in the picture) earlier in the day was on the ground much longer..I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see pics of this one.

I hate that warning system. Something must be screwed up with the system where I live. We had a tornado warning about a week ago, and I received 17 text messages and 4 automated phone calls notifying me of the warning.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
The proper response is to go look outside and see if you can see anything.
But for real, stay safe.

We had plenty of tornado alerts when I was a boy near Chicago and I would always go sit on the porch because I was worried about the house falling in on me. I thought it was bizarre that they would make us sit by our lockers with our heads between our knees at school because I figured the lockers would all tip over and crush everybody.
We had a basement and the proper thing to do would have been to find a corner in the concrete/brick walls that was not near a window...the lockers were our best options at school as there was no basement.

Never had a real tornado at home, but I did see a terrifying funnel cloud when we were driving back home after dropping my sister off at NIU in DeKalb...I was so scared I couldn't make a sound to warn my mom. Good for us that it didn't touch down. I was much younger than my sister and about 10 at the time, I'm sure in my teen years my reaction would have been "Cool!"
I was told that a tornado touched down on the center line of a main street two blocks from our house around 1960 (before me) and basically followed the line for 1/2 a mile before departing...no serious house damage due to its miraculous path.

Friend on FB shared this from today's weather.. there were two warnings, hours apart, issued today in the greater Portland metro area and SW Washington.

[Linked Image]

Now that is the proper response, Grab your camera, get in the car. score some shots. Shots from inside your car/truck as you are being lifted by the tornado score extra points. Double extra points for posthumous video.

Rod

Those Washington weather reporters are worthless when it comes to weather. A lot of crying wolf. They will forecast blizzard conditions with two inches of snow on the ground.

Yep, we had some lightning and thunder here along with some decent rain. Summer is over.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Those Washington weather reporters are worthless when it comes to weather. A lot of crying wolf. They will forecast blizzard conditions with two inches of snow on the ground.

Yep, we had some lightning and thunder here along with some decent rain. Summer is over.

Depends on where you live west/east of the Cascades and elevation. While my mother's house is at abt 300ft, mine is about a thousand (the peak is about 4k ft). She can have all rain whereas I can easily pick up 6" overnight.

For me it's not the snow that bothers me, it's the idiot drivers in snow that bother me. Ice on the other hand.. that can be a rodeo.

Last edited:
When you report this and this, Warnings seem to go out quickly:

Pic 1 75 Yards from rotating Wall Cloud

Pic 2 Tornado Touchdown 1.5 miles away

Tornado P1 Wall Cloud.jpg

Tornado P4 Debris.jpg

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

Now... That is legit...

90% plus of tornadoes in the US track from a southwest to northeast direction...

However ... There are obviously outliers at times...

Like the El Reno tornado... That tornado caught experienced storm chasers off guard for this reason... It tracked northwest to southeast at first... It also greatly expanded at that same time. . And increased forward speed from 20 mph to near 60 mph forward speed. . Then it turned and went the traditional track and went from southwest to northeast...

Look at a video of a guy barely out running the El Reno tornado... He BARELY got out of the way in time.... Looking outside his right side window you can see the rain sheets and wind of the tornado chasing him. It is genuinely scary to see just how close that guy was overtaken by that big tornado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back