Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

That's because the new Ranger is the size of an F150
mad.gif

There are no more small trucks. The old Frontier is the closest thing we have

I wanted to comment on a recent there where Mola was talking about replacing the starter on his Frontier.

The Frontier is trending big time right now on BITOG. Frontier = BITOG's truck.

I may end up buying one because I want a manual trans truck and the Toyota premium is mega real in a globalized city like Toronto. Welcome to the Jurassic period/ Antique Roadshow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

mad.gif

Dont miss the mid-sized truck king. Toyota Tacoma.

I drove all the new mid-size trucks and wasn't impressed. So after reading the article I posted, I went back and did a google search on "2015 Frontier Reviews". I read several articles from MotorTrend/Off-road and various other sources. They all said the same thing - built well, reliable, drove well, best off-road, great torque, more capable than they thought, etc.....it was all positive praise. 4 years later, not so much. The truck clearly needs an interior update and a new transmission. It's just funny to read the reviews from 3-4 years ago and compare them to current reviews. You're paying for added technology, GDI engines, and more transmission gears for better fuel economy.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Remove sales to rental car companies and then we can talk.

Yup.

Heres what I got out of that link:

[Linked Image from newsroom.vw.com]

Originally Posted by buster
I drove all the new mid-size trucks and wasn't impressed. So after reading the article I posted, I went back and did a google search on "2015 Frontier Reviews". I read several articles from MotorTrend/Off-road and various other sources. They all said the same thing - built well, reliable, drove well, best off-road, great torque, more capable than they thought, etc.....it was all positive praise. 4 years later, not so much. The truck clearly needs an interior update and a new transmission. It's just funny to read the reviews from 3-4 years ago and compare them to current reviews. You're paying for added technology, GDI engines, and more transmission gears for better fuel economy.
It don't need NOTHIN'! It's the cheap small truck that everyone says they want for a cheap price, but they can't look past the badge. People still buy Toyota trucks that are dated as [censored] under the sheet metal and interior, but no one makes a peep because Hilux and Marty Mcfly. Technology has become increasingly important to common folk, but I know a lot of posters on this board would be happy with a DD that has 20th century sensibilities. My current DD is a 97 GMC K2500.

Being old fashioned makes it a better value used. Age is literally just a number if you are buying the latest gen Frontier.

Nissan Frontiers as mentioned are a " small truck." It hauls home depot stuff, goes to the dumps parks in a small garage and easy to park etc.

Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually. 1980 to 2000 was very gradual and many would claim trucks of that era were "real trucks". The next 20 year segment is WAY too aggressive and you're going to see mfrs cut weight everywhere because making better engines is just harder. Trucks with light weight components = can't handle being a truck.

[Linked Image from en.wikipedia.org]

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually.

I disagree. The Ranger starts at $24,300 but you can option/accessorize right to about $50,000. They all come with the same engine.

That's $25,000 of extras that have nothing to do with CAFE. Truck are expensive because people want, and buy, gadgets and luxury options.

Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually. 1980 to 2000 was very gradual and many would claim trucks of that era were "real trucks". The next 20 year segment is WAY too aggressive and you're going to see mfrs cut weight everywhere because making better engines is just harder. Trucks with light weight components = can't handle being a truck.

[Linked Image from en.wikipedia.org]

The current F-150 dropped 700 lbs. Honest question: What can't it handle that the previous generation could?

Originally Posted by E365
Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually.

I disagree. The Ranger starts at $24,300 but you can option/accessorize right to about $50,000. They all come with the same engine.

That's $25,000 of extras that have nothing to do with CAFE. Truck are expensive because people want, and buy, gadgets and luxury options.

Nope. There is no amount of luxury that should amount to $25K in a pickup truck. It's a shell game of setting the high price then negotiating it down, when no lot is going to have $24K Rangers.

Let's see how well $50K Rangers sell. I am not discounting the possibility that a lot of idiots exist in the world, but initial sales of $50K does not equal perpetual sales.

They can take their 2.4L turbocharged engine and shove it up their...

Remember when pickup trucks lasted longer than you needed them to? Ford is hoping you are too young to remember, but it's not fair to point the finger at ford, rather it is the idiot ignorant buyers in todays market that can't see past a day from Tuesday.

On the plus side, if you are invested in learning and fixing this tech, you will find some bargains on used pickups in the next decade, from any brand, again it's not Ford exclusively that has made a wrong turn here.

Pickup trucks need to be seen as a tool, only an idiot buys one as a luxury vehicle because, well I don't have the time nor you the time to argue over why a pickup is never going to be a luxury vehicle except contrasted against other pickup trucks, which is like saying I'll pick the best of the worst for my intention if it only costs $25K more... lol.

If you want luxury, get a real luxury sedan and have a used pickup on the side when you need that functionality. What automakers are doing with pickup truck pricing is utter madness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

Remember when pickup trucks lasted longer than you needed them to? Ford is hoping you are too young to remember, but it's not fair to point the finger at ford, rather it is the idiot ignorant buyers in todays market that can't see past a day from Tuesday.

Well I am going to use my own experience. A 1989 GMC 1 ton VS a 2002 Chevy 2500HD and a 2017 Chevy 3500 HD.

The 1989 had a 4 to 8mpg 454, that was replaced at 54,000 miles. The second engine ran up to 180,000ish. Pretty common of Big blocks that towed from the era.

My 2002 2500HD 6.0/4L80E was leaps and bounds above the 1989 with a BBC and will get 7 to 15mpg. There are tons of old 6.0s running around with well over 300,000 miles on them that have never had a valve cover off. You just can't say that about any old BB or SB.

My current truck has the last generation 6.0 with all the updates and 135 more horsepower and the same amount of torque as my old 89. It will destroy it in reliability and tows circles around my last two trucks. I tow 7700lbs about 3000 to 5000 miles a year. Not one person I camp wishes they could go back to their previous generation of truck or even before that. Lot of these guys are towing with trucks that are less than 10 years old and have over 150,000 to 200,000 miles on them as they are daily drivers too.

I am blessed in the fact that I can afford a newer truck and not have to daily drive it. The guy I camp with often has a 2014 6.2 powered 1 ton ford. This last trip he rolled 150,000 miles. I am not sure he has even done plugs and wires. My old Big block could have never done that. New truck's drivetrains are just better than what they were pumping out in the 80's and 90's

I won't speak to the other stuff you wrote because well it is a free country if people want to spend 50,000 dollars on a Ranger, fine by me, doesn't make them an idiot unless they can't afford it.

I paid 36,500 for my lightly used (28,000 miles) 4x4 Crew Cab long bed LT Silverado. I am ok with that. I personally wouldn't pay more than 30,000 dollars for a new small truck because it would be useless to me with a 32 foot travel trailer, but that is what some people want and that is ok.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

They lost a LOT of sales making it too big and waaaaayyyyyyy too expensive

Originally Posted by E365
........Truck are expensive because people want, and buy, gadgets and luxury options.

Originally Posted by Dave9
.........If you want luxury, get a real luxury sedan and have a used pickup on the side when you need that functionality. What automakers are doing with pickup truck pricing is utter madness.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trucks used to sell based on nothing but size and work ability. Today it's all about bling. Yeah, if a guy is going to pull his 40' twin screw, triple axle powerboat, or else tour the countryside dragging around a 5th wheel with 27 pop out's, they'll pay to buy a 3500 series Diesel dually.

But today they bling up "Platinum Edition" F-150's to sticker out at $70K. Which basically doubles the price because of all the crap. I don't blame the manufacturers for this. They are simply responding to what today's consumers want. Which basically amounts to a lot of depreciating, high priced junk.

Years ago if a truck came with chrome bumpers, instead of painted silver boilerplate, it was considered fancy. Today if it doesn't have 12" screens in the dash, as well as in the seat backs, and more 110 V outlets than your house, they won't look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back