BMW (Toyota Supra) B58 Engine Teardown Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I say this as a BMW enthusiast. I am not impressed with that over engineered B58 motor. It was designed by a bunch of engineers who never so much as changed their own spark plugs. I love my BMWs but I will not buy the brand again.

Next up, oil pan removals for oil changes because the drain plug compromises pan stiffness. A 3.0L inline six with 335 horsepower. Big deal. With all that "engineering" I would have expected 500+.

Watching this makes a Tesla seem appealing to me!

Scott

IDk, but I noticed that they addressed some previous issue. OFH is different, obviously trying to FINALLY address that issue. Water pump is mechanical not electric.
Now, I would not be surprised if they return oil dipstick as they did in N63TU since new 5 series is introduced.
Also, I think it was Car and Driver that just did test on G20 B48 330i with M package, and they scored 42mpg average on 200 mile test. Better then Honda Civic, and I think 1mpg shy of Camry hybrid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Also, I think it was Car and Driver that just did test on G20 B48 330i with M package, and they scored 42mpg average on 200 mile test. Better then Honda Civic, and I think 1mpg shy of Camry hybrid.

I saw that article and I think that's freaking crazy. If that's straight highway miles, that's as good as my 3cyl focus gets.

Originally Posted by Pew

I saw that article and I think that's freaking crazy. If that's straight highway miles, that's as good as my 3cyl focus gets.

Yes, 42 mpg at a 75 mph cruise. The 330i is not super-quick, but a 14.0 second quarter is impressive considering the fuel economy.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Pew

Yes, 42 mpg at a 75 mph cruise. The 330i is not super-quick, but a 14.0 second quarter is impressive considering the fuel economy.

330i is not super-quick compared to 340i. But when you comapre to other cars, yeah it is quick. Especially when you compare to other cars that get similar mpg.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Pew

330i is not super-quick compared to 340i. But when you comapre to other cars, yeah it is quick. Especially when you compare to other cars that get similar mpg.

Yea, same MPGs as me but twice the HP/TQ and 5 seconds faster than mine in a 1/4mi.

its still Toyota , stop calling the new supra a bmw
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
spankme2.gif

Toyota couldn't be bothered to design their own sports car, and I can't be bothered to pretend they did.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
spankme2.gif

Toyota couldn't be bothered to design their own sports car, and I can't be bothered to pretend they did.

And the only other sports car is a Subaru.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I say this as a BMW enthusiast. I am not impressed with that over engineered B58 motor. It was designed by a bunch of engineers who never so much as changed their own spark plugs. I love my BMWs but I will not buy the brand again.

Next up, oil pan removals for oil changes because the drain plug compromises pan stiffness. A 3.0L inline six with 335 horsepower. Big deal. With all that "engineering" I would have expected 500+.

Watching this makes a Tesla seem appealing to me!

Scott

The BMW version makes almost 400 hp. IJS. The Supra B58 is purposely de-tuned.

It's nice to see such a clean & organized shop -and the quality of instruction and narration is a breath of fresh air. I do wonder though, how does he generate enough income to maintain a place like that? Apparently, he has acclaim building drift cars... but still, I'm scratching my head wondering how he keeps a shop like that financially afloat?

Whatever... I hope he continues making videos!

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ

It's nice to see such a clean & organized shop -and the quality of instruction and narration is a breath of fresh air. I do wonder though, how does he generate enough income to maintain a place like that? Apparently, he has acclaim building drift cars... but still, I'm scratching my head wondering how he keeps a shop like that financially afloat?

Whatever... I hope he continues making videos!

Ray

Sponsors, race teams live and breathe on sponsor money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back