BMW R 1200 GSA Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edi

Have just acquired a 2009 BMW R 1200 GSA. have done some research regarding best practice oil use, lots talk about Shell Rotella T6. Engine is a Two cylinder boxer, four-stroke, oil air cooled... any thoughts from the brains trust. I have always used penrite on my other bikes Honda Blackbird Yamaha FJ before that.

thx in advance

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use pretty much anything you want in an old Beemer - dry clutch, so doesn't need to be a motorcycle specific oil. From memory that era of BMW uses 15w40 or 20w50 oil.

Originally Posted by hpb
You can use pretty much anything you want in an old Beemer - dry clutch, so doesn't need to be a motorcycle specific oil. From memory that era of BMW uses 15w40 or 20w50 oil.

Separate sump as well. No motorcycle specific oil needs.

My owner's manual says 40 grade is only permissible for 30C and below ambient temperature. I'll guess y'all see higher temps in Oz.

I've been using 15W50, though I see that the owner's manual recommends 20Wxx or 15Wxx only for 0C and above, and for colder temps 10Wxx or lower. It isn't often I start the bike below freezing--and with >130k kms probably a bit late to worry about it--but to strictly follow the manual I would have needed 10W50.

Last edited:
David _g yep... couple of days into spring here... day time temp 32c..... nights are still cool but not cold (our winter was last Wednesday). Tend to agree about with feedback from above posts. Lot of discussion on GS forums regarding oil and the lots leaning towards Rotella T6, wonder if its more to do with cost? Me...... looking for best possible protection v's cost. Bike has only done 46k so she's not a beater (i hope)... all indications reflect she has been well loved. Have always used Penrite here in Australia ... in my cars and bikes... but when something new comes home need to research to be able to provide best possible outcomes.... Thx for replies... Ed

I have a BMW R Nine T which has similar oil cooled motor. I run 20w-50 Amsoil MCV since new. The highest temperature I've seen is on the motor is 115degC with outside temp of 34degC this is in Sydney city riding where there is no airflow over the heads. The engine does not drink a drop of oil. Where some owners are complaining that these engines drink 1 quart of oil every 1-2000miles! I do 2 up day tours about 50% of the time, so I'm generous with the throttle. I also use 75w-90 Amsoil severe gear oil in the final drive and gearbox. Currently over 32000km and still running like new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back