Replacement auto glass survey about quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife had just bought a new Accord and after a few weeks windshield cracked in the corner. We hadn't hit anything, so back to the dealership I go. I am told that something must have hit the trim around the edge of the windshield. Stupid me says OK and called up a company that used Pilkington glass. Guy comes out removes OEM windshield and tells me you have a defective windshield from the factory, happens sometimes. They install new one, everything looks good until I ride in the back seat, got distortion right in the middle of the new shield, about baseball size. All glass is Chinese glass now and no way is it as good as the old USA stuff. JMHO

AWESOME, Gotta love "Frank" Zappa! Thanks for that Quote.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Reddy45
My guess: The automakers are spec'ing thinner glass on newer vehicles to save weight. Thinner glass cracks easier. OE glass plants can't meet demand, market gets flooded with cheap quality glass (Xinyi/XYG DOT 563 junk).

Originally Posted by Pelican
The cheap ones if not made in China are locally made, but as someone said with thinner glass and I might add with optical distortion, both are dangerous to oneself and others.
But....but.....but China makes quality stuff like IPhones. Evil Western companies are the ones who force them to make garbage, they are to blame!

iphones suck and are of the poorest quality
thing you can buy is something made by apple (see power cables/batteries that catch fire yes they sweep it under the rug..

they just recalled almost 1/2 million macbooks for battery fires I guess they have not learned their less yet

Last edited:
They should check for distortion before installing the windshield but that might be asking too much.

What do iPhones have to do with this discussion?

👹🛥🎣

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by Donald
I go to Safelite. Isn't theirs OEM quality?

They just filled a very tiny chip. Not sure if it would every expand, but why chance it since its insured and no deductible for glass.

At first I thought it was a spec of dirt.

I have *heard* that Safelite is low quality $%^&, but *I* have no first-hand experience.

Ed

The tint shop I went to used safelite to replace my rear windshield when they ripped off the copper lines. There's VERY noticeable distortion when you just move your head vertically.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by Donald
I go to Safelite. Isn't theirs OEM quality?

They just filled a very tiny chip. Not sure if it would every expand, but why chance it since its insured and no deductible for glass.

At first I thought it was a spec of dirt.

I have *heard* that Safelite is low quality $%^&, but *I* have no first-hand experience.

Ed

Safelite's in-house glass is junk. My parents had one installed and it was thin and had little UV protection leading to a prematurely faded interior. Safelite now uses 3rd party glass but the quality has been hit or miss. All the Pilkingtons I've had them install seem to be OK. Some edge distortion by the A-pillars but forward vision is fine.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Be willing to bet that Fuyao OEM glass has higher quality standards than Fuyao aftermarket glass.

+1 Genuine only.

Originally Posted by jakewells
safelite is a joke and plus the installs are poorly done have not seen one done right yet.

they've done a few things like banning long knives to take out glass to help reduce damage to trim and pinchwelds but they still cut corners by not pulling cowls. I've seen them stock more OEM windshields and using a Bosch ADAS calibration tool lately. I had go to there a month ago and I've seen a few new Honda and Subaru OEM windshields on their racks.

I have a funny suspicion my windshield wasn't installed properly since the cowl wasn't pulled but they used a wire and pulley tool to cut out the old glass. They're also using Sika's Sikatack Mach 30 urethane.

While Safelite can be hit or miss, I'd still trust them than some guy working out of a truck installing cheap glass with Chinese urethane. I shoulda had All Star Glass replace my windshield or a house visit from Safelite instead. Insurance companies are in bed with Safelite for claims processing or replacements.

This guy's blog is a pretty interesting read: https://trenches.agrrmag.com/tag/agrr/

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Reddy45
My guess: The automakers are spec'ing thinner glass on newer vehicles to save weight. Thinner glass cracks easier. OE glass plants can't meet demand, market gets flooded with cheap quality glass (Xinyi/XYG DOT 563 junk).

Originally Posted by Pelican
The cheap ones if not made in China are locally made, but as someone said with thinner glass and I might add with optical distortion, both are dangerous to oneself and others.
But....but.....but China makes quality stuff like IPhones. Evil Western companies are the ones who force them to make garbage, they are to blame!

The Chinese put people in space.

Do you really think they couldn't build a decent piece of glass?

It's almost like they choose to make cheap glass because cheap glass was a gap in the market that they were well positioned to fill, whereas competing in the premium glass market would not have been worth it for them, for a wide variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back