Lucas marine grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lucas website says their marine grease is calcium sulfate based and is even labeled as such on the tube. The same tube of grease on any other website such as lowes, o'reily's, etc states the grease is lithium based and in their pictures, the tube is not labeled as to what it uses. Is there any difference between suppliers? I can't imagine lucas making two different products under the same label. The reason I ask is that I use this grease on my boat trailer axles and need to buy a new tube, but I don't have a reference because I threw the used tube out. Just wanting to insure I'm not mixing grease bases as I've read some are not compatible with each other. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by monster1
I can't imagine lucas making two different products under the same label.

Why not, they've been doing it with their "Gun Oil" for years.

Lucas Gun Oil.jpg

I just went through this. I was planning to repack my existing boat bearing hubs. I researched on the web and found thie same thing. What I finally concluded is that some of the selling sites have not updated their web sites. I ended up ordering and installing new Vortex hubs. They came pre-packed with Lucas Marine grease and are guaranteed 6 yrs/100,000 miles if only Lucas Marine grease is used in them. I purchased a couple of tubes of the grease from Advance Auto and the tubes matched the Lucas web site description.

Good luck.

Always used aluminum based grease in my boat trailer axles when I was launching into salt water down the shore. I would not use a calcium based grease for this.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Always used aluminum based grease in my boat trailer axles when I was launching into salt water down the shore. I would not use a calcium based grease for this.

Hmmmm. Why would you not use calcium based grease in saltwater? If the hubs are sealed via bearing buddy or some other cap designed to keep water out, wouldn't it be a mute point?

Salt water will slowly decompose calcium grease. Aluminum is more resistant to this. Every seal can leak, especially putting hot hubs right into cold salt water.

Lucas marine grease used to be lithium complex based, then they switched over to calcium sulfonate. Any website or literature that says it is lithium based is outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back