Fluid film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody use fluid film on their firearms? I've been using it for exterior wipe downs of my hunting arms for a while and its been great. Even protects the wood stocks as well as leaving a nice shine. You can leave a heavily wiped on coating for storage or buff it clean for field use. Seems to offer far superior corrosion protection than the majority of gun oils. Haven't transitioned into internal use, yet. I'm sure it would be fine but it likes to collect gunk in other applications plus I'm not sure how well it would hold up to any amount of heat.

I've used it on my truck...and had to throw out the clothes afterwards because of the "sheep" smell...not sure I could stand the smell on my firearms...

Let's see. Fire ants and rattlers in Texas, gators and hurricanes in Florida. I'll take the road salt in the Rocky Mountains.
laugh.gif

I use fluid film on vehicles and have tried it as gun lube and a bunch of other things also.

I do not like it for guns at all, here is why: 1. As you fire the gun and the parts start heating up, fluid film thins out and creeps into every nook and cranny, carrying any firing residue with it. All of the internals will be thoroughly coated in slimy grime by the end of range session. Sure the parts will never rust but what a holy mess.
2. Fluid film has zero EP/AW properties to it. It just isn't a good lubricant for high friction devices.
3. As an exterior wipe down fluid, fluid film attracts way too much lint, fuzz and junk.
4. The smell is not very good.

If you are wondering, Corrosion-X is my gun oil of choice. I also like the Super Lube family of products.

Originally Posted by buck91
Hmm never tried corrosion x, believe it or not. Best place to purchase?

Hard to find in stores … easy to find at boat dealerships … (what I use it for)
Can be found online as well …

I have read about Fluid Film and seen videos where it is / was used for an anti-corrosion treatment . Especially under cars . Check out the South Main Auto YouTube videos on the subject .

I think it is largely composed of lanolin ? I question the lubricating properties . But I have no personal experience with it . Thank God I do not live in the salt / rust belt ! :)

I have read of people using Johnson Paste Wax for corrosion protection ?

There's two kinds of FF, the stuff in a spray can and the stuff sold by the gallon. The spray can is a lighter viscosity and it does have a smell; the thicker stuff (usually used in a spray but can be applied by hand) is thicker and smells a bit less. Can't say I've thought to use on a gun though.

FWIW when I spray under my cars I use a cheapo disposable paper suit, the sort used for painting. I've actually gotten a few years out of one, kinda surprising, but I'm usually pretty nasty afterwards and looking for a shower regardless.

I've used BoeShield to prevent corrosion for long term storage and on parts that aren't going to be disassembled. It's thin and creepy, doesn't smell, and dries to a hard waxy finish. I've never found any lube that BoeShield wasn't compatible with.

It's usually available at bike shops (they use it for bike chains) and from the usual sources online.

LK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back