Review: GMC Acadia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just completed a four day rental of a GMC Acadia. I picked it up from national rental. It had 24,000 miles on it When I picked it up.
Exterior: It is a sharp looking SUV. Clean lines, paint quality was quite nice. Overall a shape that I think will age nicely
Interior: The interior is quite upscale, Leather quality was nice and soft, bolstering on the seats especially the driver seat was great. Dashboard and center console layout was intuitive.
Tech: this thing was decked out, really nice quality stereo system, climate controls that were built in as well as separate knobs, Blindspot mirrors on the side, easy to read speedometer. I personally am not fond of too much tech especially regarding long-term reliability, Unsure how all of this will Hold up in the long run however it was quite nice.
Driving: This thing was really nice to drive. Peppy acceleration, good visibility all around, automatic transmission shifted smoothly, a 50-50 city highway mix was in the mid to high 20.

Overall: This was the first GMC is that I have ever ridden in and driven, overall very happy with it. Compared to the Dodge charger that I rented last month, this thing was miles ahead in every aspect.

Wife's Canyon is pretty nice.Some areas of the dash are cheap feeling plastic, but overall, feels like a pretty well made truck.

I was going to buy like a 2013 but it had to many blind spots.. that is why i got a tahoe it's pretty minimum blind spots except for behind the tail gate when backing up but the back up camera takes care of that
When car manufactures build cars they should really take that into account and minimize blinds spots

The worst is those small compact cars especially if they have the 8th & 9th generation Honda civic front end design.

i.e the chevy civic honda volt first gen. (photoshop it with a honda badge and it looks like a honda civic 8th gen)
33.gif

pretty much any car or van with a flat windshield have this problem

PT cruser or HHR ( Never seen one that did not have some type of body damage on it)

Last edited:
Was it the 4 cylinder or the V6? I had an Acadia 4 cyl rental a couple of years ago, and it while it was OK around town, it really struggled on the hwy. It couldn't maintain 75 mph cruising speed without downshifting a gear, with 3 people on-board and very little luggage.

Also, I couldn't really figure out what exactly was "upscale" about it. Look and feel was quite ordinary. Only after I returned it, I found out it was supposed to be GM's attempt at upscale market. I would have never guessed.

Historically this is what I generally hear from people that are techs in the industry, when discussing GMC Acadias...

If you buy that SUV, you will know what it is like to suffer. Timing chain tensioner, oil consumption, more oil consumption, rings, transmission, bearings. Repeat.

That is what I hear every time I ask about the Acadia - and the reason I ask is because they are nice looking and cheap in the used car market. Still I'm tempted.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
It is the V6 with turbo. Quite quick and nicely refined

I'm pretty sure it's a naturally aspirated V6.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Historically this is what I generally hear from people that are techs in the industry, when discussing GMC Acadias...

If you buy that SUV, you will know what it is like to suffer. Timing chain tensioner, oil consumption, more oil consumption, rings, transmission, bearings. Repeat.

That is what I hear every time I ask about the Acadia - and the reason I ask is because they are nice looking and cheap in the used car market. Still I'm tempted.

The engine issues you cited were resolved with the 2017 update to the Chevrolet/GMC 3.6

GMC offers a lot of value. When shopping for a compact SUV for the wife, other brands did not offer the std equipment at the price point high 20's. Her Terrain SLE stickered 29,995 or something, discounts and rebates brought final selling price to $ 23,200. Thing has HID projector headlights and LED daytime running lights at that price. Those were, btw, one of our requirements since she wanted good headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back