Can my Extended Warranty company cancel my policy after paying out over $18,000?

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
Originally Posted by panthermike

I own an Armada now and absolutely love it! And I can relate on the aftermarket warranty, my truck is currently getting a new motor and thanks to my warranty, I'm only paying $100 instead of close to $8000 ...€

Good for you! It is always a good thing if a warranty can pay to replace your engine.

What year is your Armada? How many miles on it? How long have you had it before you are now needing a new engine under warranty?

Oh sorry for the confusion, it's our 2010 F-150 that's getting a motor.

The good thing about my decals is after my road trips and I get home, it takes me 30 minutes to completely take off all the stickers. I also take off my roof rack and cb antenna because it cannot fit in my garage with those on. So, after 30 minutes, I can park my car here and you will definitely not know I had any of those things on it. That is why I love my decals and will always do them if I feel a need for them on a road trip. I got a lot of compliments especially when I drove my SUV through Canada on my 2017 best road trip of my life! I wonder if I will ever top that. I personally go often and read that my road blog. It was an amazing road trip and the best I have ever been on in my lifetime so far. I have a job that it is hard to be off, so to be off for that trip was truly an achievement.

For $50 do what makes you happy, besides who cares what I think.. it's your ride and a nice looking one at that.ðŸ‘

I'll check out your travelogue.. I've been wanting to do something similar; tool around Canada for a bit then take the Alcan up north for some sightseeing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
The $18k is fishy to me, almost like dealer was inflating work knowing warranty would pay.

Based on the different posts from the OP, the dealer is absolutely guilty of fraud. They ask the OP to confirm that he has the aftermarket warranty and then determine what's wrong ?? That's shady as s**t !! Or, in addition to whatever reason the OP brings it in, they "find" add'l things that they can "fix" and they're soooooo nice to check with the warranty company to see if they'll pay and then tell the OP it's covered.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The $18k is fishy to me, almost like dealer was inflating work knowing warranty would pay.

Based on the different posts from the OP, the dealer is absolutely guilty of fraud. They ask the OP to confirm that he has the aftermarket warranty and then determine what's wrong ?? That's shady as s**t !! Or, in addition to whatever reason the OP brings it in, they "find" add'l things that they can "fix" and they're soooooo nice to check with the warranty company to see if they'll pay and then tell the OP it's covered.

That is what every repair shop does. When you bring a car in for a diag (for a specific concern), you are always supposed to look over the rest of the car and advise the customer on any other obvious issues.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That is what every repair shop does. When you bring a car in for a diag (for a specific concern), you are always supposed to look over the rest of the car and advise the customer on any other obvious issues.

And if you don't, they try and hold you responsible.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but any of these contracts that I've seen will pay out the value of the vehicle, if qualified repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle.

You definitely have paid a lot into it, including the cost of the contract, but I get it. Some of the electronic bits are expensive on that rig.

I reluctantly bought one with our 2016 Nissan. Quest that is zero deductible as long as you stay in the dealer chain for service. $100 out. It's covered $1100 in HVAC work so far. I don't think I'll recoup the ~$2200 cost of it.

Originally Posted by dogememe
This is not a criticism against you or your specific vehicle, but why are all the newer Infiniti SUVs so ugly on the outside? I've been inside them and ridden inside them and they are nice but from the outside they are so ugly!

I had to Google a picture of the stock vehicle to see if the front "vents" were stock or added by the OP. THIS is the only thing I find to look pretty stupid, except for the rally number on the side.

Otherwise, I've always liked the look of pretty much all Infinity vehicles, like, a lot. I own Subarus, so maybe my opinion of good looking vehicles is null and void.
crackmeup2.gif

Honestly, I do like that whenever I take my car in, they dona courtesy check to bring anything to my attention. But I will not lie, I would not like them to call me about something that cost a lot to fix. But whatever they do, when they call me to tell me about other things they have found that is wrong, they quickly tell me "your warranty will pay" before I start arguing with them that "sorry, you guys will not fix that because I cannot pay that cost". It seems they truly know what to look for that the warranty will pay to fix.

So, some interesting things just happened.

Dealership had my car to fix my oil leak a few days ago and the warranty paid for it. Before I took my car for oil leak, I had picked up my car from them after a $2,308 repair (warranty paid $1,950 and I paid $350). At this service, they had told me that they had drained some fluid from the transfer case and the front differential and both were dirty. They said extended warranty will not pay for this and they want to know if I will authorize the job so they can change the fluids. I said declined.

Little did I know that today as I was changing my own transfer case fluid change and front differential fluid change, the dealership had already put brand new fluid in there and did not tell me! Before they called me to say they had checked and the fluids were dirty, they had already drained and filled with brand new fluid, but did not tell me when I picked up my car. Today, I drained my transfer case fluid and it was all new clean fluid! I went ahead and changed it since that is what I was about to do anyways. Then I went to drain front differential and brand spanking new fluid coming off filler hole. I closed it and decided not to change that fluid now. Some other day.

Could have saved me from buying fluid to change both of them.

After my last service, I took my suv back to the dealership because I found oil leaking profusely around my oil pan. Warranty paid to get this fixed. So, as I was driving the 2020 Infiniti QX60 loaner back to the dealership, guess what? A rock came from an 18 wheeler bypassing me on a 2way street and put a very noticeable crack on the brand new car windshield. The crack was round and the size of a quarter. I called the dealership immediately and they told me to just come in. If they can fix it, it is free. If not, they file a claim on my car insurance to pay for a new one. I got to the dealership and they brought their glass repair expect who said it is just at the threshold of where he can fix it and it looks ok or he cannot fix it. So, he said he will try to fix it and if it does not look good, they will contact me and tell me they will file a claim on my insurance. It's been 2 business days now and they have not called me yet. So, I hope it was fixed.

I had plans to change both my transfer case and front differential fluid today since dealership recommended that 2 weeks ago and wanted to do it but I refused. Little did I know that the dealership had already changed both fluids for free and was asking me to pay for them. I wish they had been honest to just tell me they done that for free.

How do I know they changed it?

I was changing my transfer case by myself. I started draining the fluid and clean red fluid was coming out. I was shocked. The fluid smelled new and is red. My last oil was not red. It was this gold colored one and when it gets dirty, it does not turn red nor does it smell new. I was surprised but still went ahead and changed it to new fluid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then I went to the front differential and opened the filler hole. The fluid that came out was also brand new. I decided not to change that one. I will leave it there and change it someday in the near future.

You can see my oil pan is all clean now. And the new seal. The day I saw the oil leak, my whole oil pan was soaked in oil and all other parts around it all soaked in oil. Now it has been very well sealed all around.

Last edited:
My car is currently at 145,350 miles. My warranty expires at 145,800 miles.

So, I called my warranty company yesterday and said I was calling to renew my policy. They said you cannot renew your policy. But you can ket this end and you buy a new policy just before this one actually ends. I said ok. Can I please get a quote?

Here is a picture of quote below which is valid for the next 30 days. If I call after 30 days, the terms and price will change, they say.

Quote is $3,535.00 for 37,000 miles for 37 months (or say 3 years 1 month). Let's say I buy this when my odometer is 145,500, it means the new one will expire when my SUV is $182,500. My package is called the Deluxe. They have one called the Ultimate. I think she said it is like almost bumper to bumper warranty. Like brand new car warranty and the quote will be I think $6,500 or so, if I wanted that.

If I accept the quote of $3,535, my first month payment is 10% down of that amount which is $353.5. Then the balance is split into 15 equal payments of I think $212.XX.

Should I buy it?

Well, needless to say since I plan to keep this car until I pay it off in a year and a half (if the car does not disappoint me before I trade it in as a down payment for next suv), I might as well buy some more coverage for it.

So, I think I will buy it before the end of the month. Let me just let my SUV now get close to 145,800 miles first. I have about 450 more miles to get there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gimpy1
it will tell you the contract LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS, it will also tell you the reasons or conditions for "dropping" you. No matter what people say or tell you the policy and the company are bound by the contract.

Well said, the answer lies within the contract wording. Either the warranty company can or can't drop the coverage per the contract. If the contract says they can't, and they do then it can become a legal matter to pursue.

Any updates?

I agreed to extend my warranty with them until 182,000 for $3,3XX.XX. I was paying about $210 a month for it but just last month, I decided I think they have paid enough to fix my car and I am ready to pay for any repairs out of pocket instead of paying them the monthly payments for the insurance.

So, I canceled my extended warranty just last month and got a refund to my credit card for about $600.

So no more extended warranty on my suv right now. My warranty was really good. Very close to almost bumper to bumper warranty.

NO WONDER these warrant companies call me 3 times a day!
Talk about a PONZI scheme!

And remind me to NEVER buy an Infinty under ANY circumstances.

Any updates?

I agreed to extend my warranty with them until 182,000 for $3,3XX.XX. I was paying about $210 a month for it but just last month, I decided I think they have paid enough to fix my car and I am ready to pay for any repairs out of pocket instead of paying them the monthly payments for the insurance.

So, I canceled my extended warranty just last month and got a refund to my credit card for about $600.

So no more extended warranty on my suv right now. My warranty was really good. Very close to almost bumper to bumper warranty.

Dumping the truck?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Any updates?

Dumping the truck?

Not at all. I am not dumping this truck yet or any time soon. It has been a REAL money pit, but thank God that money came from my extended warranty and not from my pocket or I would have gotten rid of this truck for sure.

So, I am not even thinking about doing that. In total, my warranty has truly paid over $20,000 in repairs on my truck. Plus, I have spent over $6,000 personally on it. That is a total of truly over $26,000 in repairs on this truck over a period of 4 years of ownership so far.

Right now it drives pretty awesome and I am having fun with it. I do not see myself getting rid of it any time soon because I like owning a 4x4 and I do not see which one I would replace this with. Plus, I still have about less than 2 years to finish paying it off. Can't get rid of it until its paid off or I have some equity on it to trade it in.

Ideally, I would like to get to atleast 200,000 miles on odometer before I can think of ever getting rid of this. So, that means atleast 2 years more of ownership.

In total, my warranty has truly paid over $20,000 in repairs on my truck. Plus, I have spent over $6,000 personally on it. That is a total of truly over $26,000 in repairs on this truck over a period of 4 years of ownership so far.

Holy Moly! That's a lot of coin for 4 years. I have about $35K into my trail Jeep over 20 years and roll it over regularly without any real damage. It's purpose built though and not really street legal. Respect to you for wheeling a full size rig!

Right now it drives pretty awesome and I am having fun with it.

In the end, you can't take it with you. Having fun is what it's all about.

Holy money pit, Batman! I've been driving for something like 50 years and have not spent that much for all the vehicles I've owned combined and repairs done to them my entire life!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Dumping the truck?

Not at all. I am not dumping this truck yet or any time soon. It has been a REAL money pit, but thank God that money came from my extended warranty and not from my pocket or I would have gotten rid of this truck for sure.

So, I am not even thinking about doing that. In total, my warranty has truly paid over $20,000 in repairs on my truck. Plus, I have spent over $6,000 personally on it. That is a total of truly over $26,000 in repairs on this truck over a period of 4 years of ownership so far.

Right now it drives pretty awesome and I am having fun with it. I do not see myself getting rid of it any time soon because I like owning a 4x4 and I do not see which one I would replace this with. Plus, I still have about less than 2 years to finish paying it off. Can't get rid of it until its paid off or I have some equity on it to trade it in.

Ideally, I would like to get to atleast 200,000 miles on odometer before I can think of ever getting rid of this. So, that means at least 2 years more of ownership.

Wow - you're going to keep this money pit?

Even the S-class Mercedes, notorious for outrageous ownership cost, doesn't come close to the cost of your truck. No way I would trust a truck with that kind of history. It's a lemon.

I wish you luck. Sincerely.

I hope you'll post back in a couple of years when this is paid off and traded in, I am very interested in what lies in the future of this particualr set of circumstances.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Respect to you for wheeling a full size rig!

Right now it drives pretty awesome and I am having fun with it.

In the end, you can't take it with you. Having fun is what it's all about.

Thanks. I truly enjoy using this rig and I take it to Colorado and go to places that Jeeps and Toyotas are surprised to see me at. I go on some trails that are really tough and I put this rig in some uncompromising positions and use. I have truly enjoyed it and will continue enjoying it. No point in having a car and paying for it when not enjoying it, right?

Sadly, after my first offroad trip with this rig, I came back from Colorado and took this car to the dealership. Walked out with a $10,000 repair bill! That is after my first trip offroading this rig. Well, most of the things were covered under my warranty, so I cannot complain.

But you are right. Life is short. We each should just try to make good decisions, live within our means if we can and make your life count. Nobody knows when life can just end for them. Just as sad as what is going on now in the world where unfortunately people are leaving us with no fault of theirs.

So, I always say we all should try to enjoy life. I also tell my friends that be responsible, live within your means, but do not necessary deprive yourself of experiences or things and pass away with a credit score of over 750 and zero debts. While it is a very good thing to not have debts and have great credit, do not deprive yourself. Just have a balance and try your best not to live above your means.

We will leave everything behind. Till then, we all should live our best life now and have fun. Everything else is just vanity and material things that we will leave behind one day or the other.

Back