oil filters for my cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I've run Fleetguard Stratapore filters and Donaldson Blue filters on my truck, I've always wanted to use a Fram XG3976A but for some reason I've just been hesistant. I just ordered a Donaldson DBL7349 and I found some Fram Ultra XG3976A on Ebay for a great price so I ordered a few, yet I'm still hesitant to run the Fram. Is there any way to prove the ultras meet Cummins specs and have any of you ran them with no trouble?

The funny thing is, I've used a Fram PH3786, which seems to be a very well built filter, on the F250 in my sig the last few oil changes with no problems and I plan on using the XG3786 for the next oil change. I've used the Fram PH and XG9100 on a friends Dmax with no issues.

Id like to run the Ultras on my Cummins with confidence as it seems to be a very well built filter.

I ran Ultra XG3976A's last year on my Dodge. They did fine on OCI's of 20,000+ miles. I have 5 used Frams still waiting for me to cut them open.

Last edited:
I'm a mechanic at UPS. The yard shiftier trucks that move trailers around the sort facilitates have a lower output Cummins 6.7 in them. The older trucks had a 5.9 Cummins.
Those engines typically last 25K hours, but I've seen 30K.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm a mechanic at UPS. The yard shiftier trucks that move trailers around the sort facilitates have a lower output Cummins 6.7 in them. The older trucks had a 5.9 Cummins.

I think I know what your answer will be but splain it to others !

Originally Posted by mobilaltima

The funny thing is, I've used a Fram PH3786, which seems to be a very well built filter, on the F250 in my sig.

These are very stout,
made very well compared to the generic PH8A style oil filters from 20 years ago (Allied Signal) that gave FRAM a bad name for many people.

FRAM does sometimes shop out to other manufacturers for their heavy Duty/Industrial lines

PFFFFTTT... let's see what the hour meters say!!!

I'm going out on a limb and guessing at 20,000 hours per unit without any major engine problems?

(20,000 x 60 miles an hour = approx 1,200,000 miles)

Originally Posted by Linctex

I'm going out on a limb and guessing at 20,000 hours per unit without any major engine problems?

I said 25K hours, but didn't state hours when I said 30K. I meant 30,000 hours.
The trucks go slow as it's a sort facility lot but they spend lots of time being floored from a standstill until they govern out in the low 20 MPH range I think.
Those trucks hold 16 quarts of oil. I think the Dodge & Ram Cummins holds less.

Originally Posted by Linctex

The trucks go slow as it's a sort facility lot but they spend lots of time being floored from a standstill until they govern out in the low 20 MPH range I think.

That sounds like a tough duty cycle: a lot of idling, then hard acceleration, all day, everyday, then do it some more. I doubt the trucks average 10 mph.

Used that same Fram PH on my old 7.3 without problems at yearly intervals as the truck saw little use, never a problem! I wouldn't have a second thought about running a XG on a Cummins.

So... What oil and filter do you use @ UPS? The Ram 6.7 Cummins has a 12 quart sump.
grin.gif

Wix 57620

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2005,ram+2500+pickup,5.9l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1431395,engine,oil+filter,5340

Note that there is a 57620, a 57620xp, and a 57620xe...

Yeah, I was pretty tired and totally read that wrong.

Even 30,000 miles of yard dog duty would be tough....
I have NO PROBLEM believing 25000 or 30000 hours!!

Let me guess - - - the cheapest oil and the cheapest filters available - - went in all of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back