Red Line 5w20 , 11K Miles .1.6 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 12500 miles on the oil now.At 15000 miles I will do another UOA but this time with a TAN.We will see how the oil is holding up.

FWIW, back in the day, using a number of 0W20 oils,
including,TGMO, MGMO, Sustina, and RL,
the BEST mpg I got was with RL !

HTHS 2.9
VI 172

The others were barely
HTHS 2.6
VI ~ 220 and higher

I always attributed this to the huge amount of moly in RL.

Also, Dave has stated that RL is a great oil vs LSPI, in spite of the high calcium.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
FWIW, back in the day, using a number of 0W20 oils,
including,TGMO, MGMO, Sustina, and RL,
the BEST mpg I got was with RL !

HTHS 2.9
VI 172

The others were barely
HTHS 2.6
VI ~ 220 and higher

I always attributed this to the huge amount of moly in RL.

Also, Dave has stated that RL is a great oil vs LSPI, in spite of the high calcium.

Redline 0w20 best 0w20 ever made. Super high hths and a pour point in the - 70's.

With oder oils without Moly, I had a piston slap with a cold engine but with the Redline the noise is gone .I have used Castrol 0w40 , Castrol 0w30 A5/B5, Shell 0w40... and with all of them I had piston slap a couple minutes after engine start.

I don't understand how Dave can say RL with it's 3,500 ppm of Ca is a great oil for LSPI.

Good question. The OE series oil is likely the Mg/Ca additive system but i don't know about the regular one.

Originally Posted by buster
I don't understand how Dave can say RL with it's 3,500 ppm of Ca is a great oil for LSPI.

I do not have LSPI issues and I go full throttle in the 6 gear at 50 MPH at least 5 times a day . The ford F formula 5w30 for the ecoboost in Europe has over 3000 ppm of Ca so maybe it is something else not just the Ca .

With ZDDP and moly being LSPI quenchers, I wonder if they compensate enough for the calcium numbers. I know if I were somehow magically stuck using a high calcium oil in an application known for LSPI, I'd probably be thinking Red Line first.

Originally Posted by Garak

With ZDDP and moly being LSPI quenchers, I wonder if they compensate enough for the calcium numbers. I know if I were somehow magically stuck using a high calcium oil in an application known for LSPI, I'd probably be thinking Red Line first.

THIS^^^ would be my guess, but I'd like to hear this directly from Dave, even as reluctant as he is to say so.
wink.gif

I'm not sure there's even enough data out there, except perhaps what's in the hands of bigger companies who are holding it as intellectual property. Dave may not even be completely sure. I know I'm far from sure.

Dave and RL in general have always been forthcoming, but some of their responses over the years I have found to be questionable.

I have changed the oil. I wanted to change the gear oil and spark plugs so I have changed the engine oil as well. I have about 2.5k Miles o this oil. When I have 15k miles in to the OCI I will make another UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back