Dana 30 rebuild, first lube change, high metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
My 240 wagon has a Dana 30 differential. It was rebuilt 1,300 miles ago with 157,000 miles on the unit. The unit received a Yukon Gear Bearing & Seal Overall Kit, GRW131R Wheel Bearing/Keeper, Inner and Outer Grease Seals, plus 85W-140 GL-5 Phillips 66 dino gear oil. The pinion and ring gear showed normal wear and was not replaced per the rebuilder's recommendation.

Today I changed the fluid to 80W90, the Volvo spec. The heavier gear lube made the car feel sluggish and I wanted to see if the 80W90 made a difference. It certainly did. The car now feels like it did before. Plus I'm a firm believer in changing the fluid at a short interval after a rebuild.

I'm concerned about the metal on the filler plug magnetic plug. It seems excessive for the new components.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sam

[Linked Image]

0D388E44-70A0-42F0-99B9-DBE5FEC5B5C1.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never had a rear wheel drive vehicle that I had to service this way. I would do another drain and fill after another 3000 miles and see how it looks after that.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Is the Dana 30 the same basic diff that's in the front of my Jeep? If so it's undersized for a rear axle in a car.

Considering the most powerful Volvo engine in this series was around 140HP (OP's looks to have 114HP new) and a curb weight of around 3000, it's probably less stressed than in your Jeep.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
My 240 wagon has a Dana 30 differential. It was rebuilt 1,300 miles ago with 157,000 miles on the unit.
[Linked Image]

There is a reason why a rebuilder always recommneds a 85W140, other than pre-empting gear whine.

Originally Posted by zeng
Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
My 240 wagon has a Dana 30 differential. It was rebuilt 1,300 miles ago with 157,000 miles on the unit.
[Linked Image]

There is a reason why a rebuilder always recommneds a 85W140, other than pre-empting gear whine.

Could you tell us the reason(s)? Very little, if any, difference in noise with the 80W90.

Last edited:
Had the diff rebuilt in my F-150 and saw a similar disturbing amount of shavings after the first change. Was told it was everything setting or wearing in or something like that. 3 years later everything has been fine. I use 75w140 synpower

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back